LegacyGT.com

CBE comparison?

I'm at a loss for what to do. Muffler shop will build me a magnaflow axle back for about $490, however I was just PMing a guy here on the forum who isselling his magnaflow catback for $350 because it's too loud.

Also, the guy on here selling his OEM cans for cheap measured the diameter of entrance side on mufflers 1.5" ID and 1.75" OD. Obviously, I don't want bolt those small cans directly to 2.5" Perrin y-pipe because, restrictive or not, air slamming into that immediate drop in diameter will cause backflow.

I am leaning to just having one made by the local guy since I have a couple options on muffler design.

Thoughts?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stock exhaust is not very restrictive. I've been through a set of custom axle backs and two aftermarket cat backs before finally winding up with the stock back on. Quiet power FTW.

Scoobie, what kind of power are you making? Also, what downpipe are you running? I want to put my 3" catless back on, but there would be no taper to the midpipe and I dont like the idea of that sudden diameter reduction, nor do I want to retune.

Not sure exactly never dynoed.. current power mods are a Cobb DP, GrimmSpeed UP, AEM CAI, PW TMIC, GrimmSpeed crossover pipe/PnP manifolds, Perrin crank pulley and Infamous tune. Used to also have at different points an AVO Tmic, RacerX Fmic, Bosal cbe, and a Stromung.

Not sure exactly never dynoed.. current power mods are a Cobb DP, GrimmSpeed UP, AEM CAI, PW TMIC, GrimmSpeed crossover pipe/PnP manifolds, Perrin crank pulley and Infamous tune. Used to also have at different points an AVO Tmic, RacerX Fmic, Bosal cbe, and a Stromung.

Are you running stock Turbo back exhaust? Maybe it's in my mind, but when I took off the catless 3" dp, and put stock dp back on, it felt MUCH slower which makes me feel like there is substantial restriction in OEM exhaust.

Are you running stock Turbo back exhaust? Maybe it's in my mind, but when I took off the catless 3" dp, and put stock dp back on, it felt MUCH slower which makes me feel like there is substantial restriction in OEM exhaust.

No I have a Cobb dp and stock cat back. Yes the stock DP is by far the most restrictive piece in the system. But this thread is about catbacks, that's what I was referring to when I said that the stock exhaust isn't that restrictive (at most common power levels at least.)

I think I am making some progress now. scoobie, what is the transition like from the Cobb dp to stock mid? Isn't there a sudden drop in pipe size from 3" to 2.5" (or less as I am not sure of diameter of stock midpipe)? Wouln't the sudden drop in diameter cause a large restriction (3" pipe area = 7 sq in / 2.5" pipe = 5 sq in / 2" pipe = 3 sq in)? And finally, do you think an exhaust shop could weld in a transition pipe that goes from 3" to stock midpipe diameter?

I am seriously considering the stock catback now. Thanks for all the help.

I think I am making some progress now. scoobie, what is the transition like from the Cobb dp to stock mid? Isn't there a sudden drop in pipe size from 3" to 2.5" (or less as I am not sure of diameter of stock midpipe)? Wouln't the sudden drop in diameter cause a large restriction (3" pipe area = 7 sq in / 2.5" pipe = 5 sq in / 2" pipe = 3 sq in)? And finally, do you think an exhaust shop could weld in a transition pipe that goes from 3" to stock midpipe diameter?

I am seriously considering the stock catback now. Thanks for all the help.

The Cobb DP tapers to 2.5" to mate with the stock mid pipe. Diameter of stock mid pipe is also 2.5" at that flange so it fits perfectly. The "sudden drop" does not rob you of power like you think it would, only a serious stage 3 set up would need a full 3" exhaust all the way back. Most common setups you would not notice a difference.

Vendors here like msprank sell an exhaust adapter that goes from 3" to 2.5" so people can run a 3" DP with the stock catback , or one of the aftermarket cbes that is 2.5" at the flange (Cobb, SPT, Borla, etc). Many members here run the adapter without issue and would be cheaper than a shops creating you a transition pipe.

The Cobb DP tapers to 2.5" to mate with the stock mid pipe. Diameter of stock mid pipe is also 2.5" at that flange so it fits perfectly. The "sudden drop" does not rob you of power like you think it would, only a serious stage 3 set up would need a full 3" exhaust all the way back. Most common setups you would not notice a difference.

Vendors here like msprank sell an exhaust adapter that goes from 3" to 2.5" so people can run a 3" DP with the stock catback , or one of the aftermarket cbes that is 2.5" at the flange (Cobb, SPT, Borla, etc). Many members here run the adapter without issue and would be cheaper than a shops creating you a transition pipe.

This is really helping. I'll check out the adapter. With things being so tight down there already, I can't visualize how to wedge the adapter in there, but I am going to try and find out.

Exhaust sounds nice and reasonable quiet. Just what I am looking for.

• Moderators

For the adaptor, it has a solid plate that goes up against the downpipe with a normal 2-bolt gasket. The "neck-down" on the adapter is where you put the stock donut gasket, and then the CBE attaches to that. Visually, here's what the adapter looks like:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSroxuBGZpr1baTnG4He_P5gYCMWsYG0dhjx9vN0bAYFkXj8QFQNw

hope that helps.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

scooby, you are a life saver. I am buying the Stock CBE for $100ish (too much or reasonable price?) and the adapter from Infamous for $30. Then, with leftover cash on Perrin sale, upgraded injectors and fuel pump.

Next, E85 tune...woohoo.

• Moderators
That price isn't bad for a CBE, especially if it's in decent shape. Do you need a new donut gasket? I think I have a few previously-used ones (but still in good shape) lying around the house, can send you one for a few bucks to cover shipping.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

scooby, you are a life saver. I am buying the Stock CBE for $100ish (too much or reasonable price?) and the adapter from Infamous for $30. Then, with leftover cash on Perrin sale, upgraded injectors and fuel pump.

Next, E85 tune...woohoo.

No worries, glad to help. $100 is a fair price.

Its even more quiet than that sound clip seems to be. Slightly aggressive when you rev it, but absolutely no drone, and talking to passengers in the back seat is effortless ;)

That price isn't bad for a CBE, especially if it's in decent shape. Do you need a new donut gasket? I think I have a few previously-used ones (but still in good shape) lying around the house, can send you one for a few bucks to cover shipping.

Man, all you guys rock around here. The sellers exhaust only has 23k miles on it, so looks to be in good shape.

Yes, I will be replacing all gaskets and, no, I do not have any. PM me and I'll send you a few bucks.

No worries, glad to help. $100 is a fair price.

Its even more quiet than that sound clip seems to be. Slightly aggressive when you rev it, but absolutely no drone, and talking to passengers in the back seat is effortless ;)

The drone on the Perrin setup is INSANE at certain rpms. This seems like a perfect set-up for me. Plus, really like the whole sleeper look. After this, the only pieces that gives any indication of me doing anything on car is STi front lip and a debadge.

Next, E85 tune...woohoo.

You promised me a ride! :icon_twis

Good thread. I have an Invidia catless DP ready to be installed and I'm looking for catback options. No one mentioned the Megan Racing CBE with the silencers (not the quad tips). That's what I'm leaning towards. That or the stock CBE.

Island, Style, that would work well, but those Prodrive cans aren't easy to find

I agree...the posts in the classified section are surprising though...all sorts of goodies get posted up...it's a matter of patience.

What really quieted everything down for me was installing an equal length header...amazing. The un-equal length header really adds a "thump" to the exhaust note making it boom and cause resonance in the cabin...something to consider. I think most of the exhausts mentioned above in combination with the EL header will lessen the noise level, especially the normal exhaust (muffler's rather than can designs).

When I was into STI's...I owned the following exhausts...the most quiet was the Greddy Evo2 in combination with an EL Header. Most of the "muffler" types exhaust were much more quiet than the "can" style...although, if you have a resonator in your mid-pipe, it made all the difference in the world as well. Definitely stay away from the thin-walled, ultralight titanium exhausts...you can actually lift the whole catback with just a few finger, but they are waaaay loud!

I know most of these exhausts are not made for the Legacy...but some are...like the Greddy Evo2

Greddy Evo2

Borla Hush

Prodrive

Cobb

B&B

Crawford

HKS High Power

HKS Carbon Ti

Kakimoto Ti

Helix Ti

Helix

APS 3"