LegacyGT.com

CBE comparison?

People are calling it a muffler because that's what it is. Here is a common muffler that people add to the mid pipe.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=10667

Call it whatever you want. Either way, they are using a muffler where a resonator would normally be. 99% of exhaust systems use a resonator at this location.

Common resonators - http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=11248&sub2=Resonator&keywords=resonator

There is a difference. Good quality catbacks that sound nice have a resonator

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dirt cheap.

I thought so too, but sale pending and I am second in line.

I also have option to buy some lightly used OBX cans. yeah, I know, not a premium product, but the design should quiet things down a little and make my neighbors hate me less.

Thanks for all the help and here is an update.

I bought my car with 3"catless dp to Perrin mid and CBE. It has mild tune at 260whp. Although is is VERY fun in this config, it is just too loud for my taste and my family's taste as well.

Since I live in Boulder, we are required to have emissions testing every 2 years and it is time to get tested this week, therefore I put the two-piece OEM dp back. Two things I noticed: 1) It is a LOT quieter. Almost too quiet. 2) Massive power suck. The car damn near feels slow now and that's no good. I also fear that getting on the gas with this much restriction and my tune can damage something.

So, I am looking to maintain power that I have and still let the car breathe.

I am considering buying some stock cans and going back to my 3" catless dp/midpipe setup. Supposedly, from Perrin service rep, the OEM mufflers will bolt right on. I want to keep the power I have and maybe even up it to 300whp without waking the neighbors. Does anyone know if the OEM cans are too restrictive?

Also, anyone know if it would be difficult to just have muffler shop make me what I need? Never looked into that route before.

Chance, my plan was to put OE mufflers back on, by connecting them to the mid-pipe. Also, if you can find a Greddy SP2, those were quiet with a decent tone. Sorry the Perrin was too loud for your neighbors.

Hey there, Man. Lovin' the ride. Just trying to find a good balance of keeping the power and lowering sound level to somewhere in between Perrin and stock. Plus, I like the sleeper look of stock cans or similiar if they aren't too restrictive.

Channoff- As for getting on the car too much while your stock down pipe is in place, go easy...it can damage your car. I did the same thing for getting smogged here in Cali. I just drove mellow to the smog station and drove mellow back home. Then I swapped back to my green house killing exhaust. :lol:

If your stock mufflers will bolt up to your Perrin stuff then just go for it! Nothing to lose right?

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Channoff- As for getting on the car too much while your stock down pipe is in place, go easy...it can damage your car. I did the same thing for getting smogged here in Cali. I just drove mellow to the smog station and drove mellow back home. Then I swapped back to my green house killing exhaust. :lol:

If your stock mufflers will bolt up to your Perrin stuff then just go for it! Nothing to lose right?

Yeah, but it's so hard to drive it gently :)

Yeah, good point, I can put stockers on and just see what happens. The only fear I have is will there be too much back pressure with those measly little cans or is that already moot since Perrin Y shrinks to 2.5"?

Also, what about increasing hp up to 300whp range? Will I need something new then?

As far as I know, the stock cans can handle a fair amount of power. I don't think there will be too much back pressure for your tune. If you are really worried about it you can always do a data log and see what's up. At 260 WHP, l I bet you would be fine.

At the 300 WHP level it might be little restrictive, but to get to a true 300 HP at the wheels you are gonna need to upgrade to at least an 18G sized turbo. Then you have a bunch of other stuff to worry about too.

As far as I know, the stock cans can handle a fair amount of power. I don't think there will be too much back pressure for your tune. If you are really worried about it you can always do a data log and see what's up. At 260 WHP, l I bet you would be fine.

At the 300 WHP level it might be little restrictive, but to get to a true 300 HP at the wheels you are gonna need to upgrade to at least an 18G sized turbo. Then you have a bunch of other stuff to worry about too.

I am running VF52 now with EL Headers. I know I'll need to upgrade fuel delivery at least to hit 300whp, which is pretty close to maximum capacity of that turbo.

I like your idea of just data logging, After some simple calculations, the exit area of OEM cans is 2.25" x 2 or 7.95 sq in. Area of 2.5" y-pipe is 4.19 sq in. To me, and unless I am missing something, that seems like it should be fine with OEM cans. What I can't find is hot side pipe diameter on stock cans.

I am running VF52 now with EL Headers. I know I'll need to upgrade fuel delivery at least to hit 300whp, which is pretty close to maximum capacity of that turbo.

I like your idea of just data logging, After some simple calculations, the exit area of OEM cans is 2.25" x 2 or 7.95 sq in. Area of 2.5" y-pipe is 4.19 sq in. To me, and unless I am missing something, that seems like it should be fine with OEM cans. What I can't find is hot side pipe diameter on stock cans.

Are you running stock injectors and pump with that VF52? They have to be close to, if not, maxed out DC...

Are you running stock injectors and pump with that VF52? They have to be close to, if not, maxed out DC...

I am, but that will be changing within next few weeks. And to update yet again, it is 250whp/300tq, not 260 whp. Just looked at the dyno log again.

OK, this is hopefully my last question here and then we can let this post die. I absolutely cannot find what the entrance diameter is on stock cans. Does anyone know if they are 2.25" or 2.5" (or something else entirely)?

IIRC, they are 1.75" maybe 2"

Little itty bitty dudes lol.

IIRC, they are 1.75" maybe 2"

Little itty bitty dudes lol.

Doh, don't tell me that! If that's the case, that is just way too much of a bottle neck. I have a new solution - I am going to local muffler/exhaust shop and just getting a quote for custom job. Solves that problem.

So let me get this straight, you are wanting to keep your Perrin MP and rear y-pipe but going to put your stock cans back on?

I have a Cobb CBE (mid, y, cans) if you are interested. It's a little quieter and more of a deep note than the Perrin IIRC...

So let me get this straight, you are wanting to keep your Perrin MP and rear y-pipe but going to put your stock cans back on?

I have a Cobb CBE (mid, y, cans) if you are interested. It's a little quieter and more of a deep note than the Perrin IIRC...

I was considering it. I am old and this set-up is just too loud. I want to retain power and not damage my engine. I thought I could put stock cans back on and accomplish what I want, but now I am thinking that it won't work.

The rear y-pipe and cans have to go together (eg. rear sectional or axle back exhaust). Otherwise the flanges won't mate up.

Having an extra muffler welded in on the mid pipe sounds like it would be the best compromise. Having a catted DP helps a little as well.

The rear y-pipe and cans have to go together (eg. rear sectional or axle back exhaust). Otherwise the flanges won't mate up.

Having an extra muffler welded in on the mid pipe sounds like it would be the best compromise. Having a catted DP helps a little as well.

The Perrin rep disagrees with you, but who knows if he's just saying that. Anyhow, this custom exhaust guy close to my house is supposed to be excellent. I'll let you know how it pans out tomorrow.

Good luck with the local exhaust guy. I know what you mean by wanting a quieter car. I have the Megan Racing CBE and most people here would consider it on the quieter side of CBE's. I loved the sound and look of it, but 5 years and 2 kids later it was just too loud. I ended up having a 3rd muffler welded in where the resonator was and it cut the sound by a solid 30%. I am very happy with it now because when you are driving mellow the sound is there only a little, but when you get on it and give it some rev's, you can hear it nice.

I vote labotamized stock cans with larger diameter piping to go along with the cans. If you search for Praedet, he did something to this effect with his stock cans. IIRC it sounded very subdued yet still supported the power he was making with an aftermarket turbo.

Good luck with the local exhaust guy. I know what you mean by wanting a quieter car. I have the Megan Racing CBE and most people here would consider it on the quieter side of CBE's. I loved the sound and look of it, but 5 years and 2 kids later it was just too loud. I ended up having a 3rd muffler welded in where the resonator was and it cut the sound by a solid 30%. I am very happy with it now because when you are driving mellow the sound is there only a little, but when you get on it and give it some rev's, you can hear it nice.

Do you remember which muffler you used for third muffler? I may look into that as an option as well.

It's a Magnaflow muffler #11219. Many other members on this forum have used this muffler as well with nice results. It has a straight through design, so there will be zero restriction with this unit. It just cut's the sound down.

Stock exhaust is not very restrictive. I've been through a set of custom axle backs and two aftermarket cat backs before finally winding up with the stock back on. Quiet power FTW.

agree with this. though i want a tiny bit more sound and the tips to stick outmore

Archived