LegacyGT.com

Tint cutout for rear deck brake light ?!

ams

I have NEVER seen this before. I went to get my windows tinted at LA Tint in Sterling, VA. When I went to pick up the car, there was a cutout around the rear deck brake light where there was no tint. The guy said it was necessary for VA inspection, something about can't tint the brake light. I was so befuddled by this that I didn't really know what to say, and just took the car.

For what it's worth, the tint job was excellent, the cutout itself was extremely precise and contained within the outline of the brake light (so you can't see the missing tint from inside the car).

However.

I have a black car with taupe interior, and the effect is VERY bizarre, to see this all dark black and then a taupe brake light thing just glaring out at you (I'll get a pic up at some point, but I don't think its strictly necessary, so you can save the "this thread is worthless without pics" signs :D )

So, what to do?

One option is to get the factory spoiler with brake light or the STI deck lid with light. I'd then have to BLOCK OUT or remove the stupid rear deck brake light (according to the tint guy, if its there, even if its redundant, you cannot tint it... but you can block it with a plate (?!)). I would then have to try to get that area retinted... I don't even know how feasible that is.

Another option is to try to darken the brake light housing, paint or dye or mask it with something. Or to get a black interior brake light housing. Either way, there is also a small patch of taupe interior carpet by the window (right under the Symmetrical AWS factory sticker -- which you can no longer see, kind of an optical illusion due to contrast with the surrounding tint).

Or.

I could just suck it up and live with it, perhaps even look at it as a good thing (?). I was kind of thinking of putting a black decal in the taupe void, kind of highlights the decal and fills the void a little. Maybe a little Cobb "C" sticker or a trunk monkey emblem.

Anyone have any ideas? And has anyone ever seen or heard of window tint applied like this? Anyone know the relevant parts of the VA inspection code?

Guest clawdnb

thats how the shop up here did mine....it doesnt bug me, i wouldnt want it tinted over and then have the lite trying to shine thru due to wierd red color it would reflect all over the inside of the rear window

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/2037000-2037999/2037539_25_full.jpg

thats how the shop up here did mine....it doesnt bug me, i wouldnt want it tinted over and then have the lite trying to shine thru due to wierd red color it would reflect all over the inside of the rear window

It's even weirder that they did it with yours, doesn't your wing have a light as well?

I still can't decide if I mind the cutout or not. It does kind of screw up the whole all black thing I was going for with the tint. But it also has the odd effect of making the tint seem even darker (I think) just by seeing the ligh untinted section next to it.

That cut out looks ghastly despite it being as you say well executed.

I go over all of them but then again a 35% light transmission film provides adequate light.

You can't just insert a piece to the missing bit.

It's a redo or nothing...sorry to be the bearer of bad news reality.

Rob.

Looks like one of the prices I have to pay for living in a state with such brutal anti-custumization laws -- I can't tint the brake lights, can get the really dark tint, can't do this or that.... grrrr.

Let me reprhase one of the basic questions then: does anyone WITH A VIRGINIA REGISTERED VEHICLE have the brake light tinted over?

(sick of seeing this guys in other states with jet black tint on all windows :p )

Typically you need tint cut out on the third brake light UNLESS you have a brake light on your spoiler. All you really need to do is contact your state highway patrol and ask them what the law is. It is listed in your state vehicle code if you have access to that. You can usually get a copy at the DMV, but calling is easier.

edit: Virginia Tint Law (I don't see any mention of third brake lights, so you'll probably want to call.)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

You could also paint the inside of the light housing from taupe to black=less glarin—just an idea.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was considering. But I'm not sure if I should try the chicken way and try to put something removal on the light, or if I should flat out PAINT (or use plastic dye) up to the edge.

Then there's that carpet strip...

I put a little COBB "C" black vinyl sticker in hole that was left by the brake light, and hacked up a black rag and placed it between the taupe interior brake light housing and the edge of the window to make the Symmetrical AWD decal visible again (contrast of the dark tint over the taupe made it dissappear!). I'll have to upload pics :D

This is what I heard. Legally, if you have a wing with a tail light in it, then they do not need to cut out the tint around the rear deck light. But, my car does not have a wing, and they didn't cut out around the tail light on my car. They also didn't put my AWD sticker back on... I'll have to get one. Too many tow trucks in Madison...

• 4 years later...

I removed mine before they tinted and use only the back wing for the center brake light. I eventually want to go with a wingless trunk lid for a cleaner look, so I may have to mount something on the trunk itself- maybe a small LED strip that would meet the legal requirement. I have not researched this yet, but there should be something available if you do not have a center light on the wing.

In your case, you may try carefully painting it, or remove it completely and have the rear re-tinted.

Then again, you could try one of these for touch-up:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-SHP34820-SH-SHARPIE-Professional-Permanent/dp/B000X1C6L2/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1253026851&sr=8-12]Amazon.com: Sharpie (SHP34820-SH) SHARPIE Professional Black Permanent Marker: Automotive[/ame]

Good Luck!

Archived