LegacyGT.com

newbie needs help 05gt5spd

Thank You for your warm welcome in my previous post. (Purchased 05 leg gt-silver)

I did own a gt before, (97) but have a bunch of questions, and would appreciate your help. (I'll keep mys posts shorter in the future)

- I am considering the "clear tape" for the front bumper and hood - good/bad - does it come pre cut - if you think its good where to get it?

- I am considering installing a set of aluminum wheels from my last car (winter 16 inchers) and wondered if anyone knows the offset and bolt pattern on the gt.

- Has anyone installed a hitch on a GT sedan? if so any pics or ideas where to get? (I am aware of the percautions when towing with this car - only towing 800lbs total)

- I live in the NEast and my car will be exposed to a lot of salt. As you know the intercooler/scoop are exposed - Should I coat the intercooler with anything to prevent corrosion?

- Should I purchase a turbo countdown timer (lets car run when you exit to let turbo cool) and IF so, where??

- What size wrench do I need for my oil drain plug (ok I know I could just get under the car)

- Any other must do's on this awsome car (or must nots)

- I am trying to be "good" and break in properly, but I couldnt resist a couple times- WOW

Lastly- A "friend" tells me all about the 3rd 2.5 motor his buddy has put in his car (97 era) any truth to engine problems or is this gut simply .....

I appreciate any and all feed back

GREAT SITE

WNY- Silver 05 GT 5speed

I wouldn't worry about corrosion of the intercooler. It's made of aluminum and plastic. You're radiator and AC condensor are more exposed to the elements than the top-mount intercooler, have you ever had those components coated on previous cars?? Also, I think any type of coating would reduce the intercooler's efficiency.

Check out the "sticky" Tech thread at the top of the Turbo Powertrains forum. There is a section in there about turbo timers and why modern Subaru turbo engines don't require them.

Try searching. You'll find the answers to all of your other questions very quickly.

Welcome to the site..

I will search, but welcome any "new" experience.

I will search for rock blocker

The fact that the turbo is only covered for 36k is what made me ask the question about the timer.

Are people running std or synthetic oil - I suppose it is probably another search, but feel free to respond.

Thanks Again - Western Upstate NY

A third 2.5 engine??? What the hell is that idiot doing to his car? Granted the older GT's and RS' were known to blow the stock headgaskets and if you werent paying attention to the car when they started to go, you could do some serious damage (luckily I was paying attention when mine went). Subaru engines, well basically the entire car is good well past 200k (I have an '88 Loyale Wagon with 245k and change on the clock and its still chuggin and its been beat to shit daily) so you shouldnt worry. Enjoy your new car and if you had anything sitting around from your 97 GT let me know.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Hi crafty - :)

- Offset and bolt pattern should be covered in-detail in the "Wheels" section on this Forum. I'm actually not sure if 16s will fit, due to the brakes...Keefe (Xenonk) would be the man to ask. Frankly, though, I'd be happy with the 215/45/17s on our stock rims in the winter. For our weight, it's not too narrow but not too wide, and there's plenty of sidewall and the wheel's pretty strong. Even NE-Ohio's spring-time potholes and summer road resurfacing have yet (knock on wood!) to cause any damage that I can see or have noticed.

- Hitch.... I'm not familiar with this issue, but I do recall seeing "hitch" mentioned more than once on these Forums. A quick search-engine assisted search should bring up some good info., or at least pertinent threads to which you may post further Qs.

- No need for worries on the intercooler. My background is import sport-compacts, and I've run *_big_* and *_low_* front-mounted intercoolers in various vehicles around here in NE-Ohio for a while. No need for your worries.

- Turbo-timers are not regarded as a "necessary" mod/component in our LGTs as they are in many other applications. Scooby's design of our turbo insures that our snail gets good cool-down time even as we turn off our engine. Certainly, being easy on boost for the last few minutes of your commute and/or just staying in the car for a minute or so after a hard outing wouldn't hurt things (and I still, out of deep-ingrained old practice, do) -and a turbo-timer could make the latter much easier- but it's not "by-Hoyle" law, either. Have a search for "turbo timer" and you'll see this examined more technically.

- There is a complete and detailed walk-through in the "Walk-Throughs" section on oil changes, and will tell you everything you want to know. For the two Walk Through sub-Forums, you'll want to turn your "date" option all the way back to "The Beginning" in order to bring up all of the valuable posts.

:)

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived