LegacyGT.com

How sharp is the steering ratio on th USDM 2.5GT Legacy?

Oh, it's far more sporty than your family sedan. Relatively quick 2.8 lock-to-lock steering ratio and nicely weighted feel. [url]http://vocuspr.vocus.com/VocusPR30/Temp/{15563d35-2ab0-499b-b968-00dc2b3e4bd1}/2005%20Legacy%202.5%20GT%20Specs.pdf[/url] Ken

The August issue of Motor Tend made the comments about steering, but everything else they said sounded like a scripted paid commercial. Something like this car has more capability and flexibility than a heard of SUVs and can run with many sport sedans. I think they also said the Outback was so fast and handled so well, they are not sure they would give up the all roads capability of the Outback for a Leg GT. I bet this is true or typical thinking for much of Subaru's traditional mkt, not just the press. BTW, I am hoping that larger wheel/tire combo (17x7.5 or 8 and 225/17/45 will firm up steering weight feel. Anyone upgraded tires and wheels out there to comment on steering feel impact?

[quote name='outahere']AutoWeek and Automobile have suggested that the steering is too quick, and will lead to wandering on the interstate.[/quote] No problem with my GT Ltd wagon on the interstate. Tracks dead straight. There is some tramlining due to the tire tread though on grooved pavement, but that's a different issue. Ken

I think most of the issues are once again... attributed to RE92's. Kevin said it firmed up with his Dunlop 9000's. I will give a report on sunday. Note, I will not be driving ANY miles on RE92's, they will all be on Toyo Proxes 4's so it should be a bit stickier and more firm off the bat.

[quote name='outahere']AutoWeek and Automobile have suggested that the steering is too quick, and will lead to wandering on the interstate.[/quote] Excellent, that means it might actually have some precision to it. They're a buncha old men now and they want a Cadillac that drives itself. ;)

Hey, hey, hey, watch the old guy bashing. Now that some of us old guys are done raising you kids, we can finally trade in the family SUV or Benz and drive a real MT sport car again and we are not nearly as concerned about all the little nit-pics you kids are snibleing about. Ben there done that. Since my last attempt at humor was taken seriously, note, I am kidding around kids.

[quote name='SUBE555']I think most of the issues are once again... attributed to RE92's. Kevin said it firmed up with his Dunlop 9000's. [/quote] Dunlop Sp9000s? That is interesting, considering that my wife's 99 miata has dunlop SP9000s on aftermarket 16x7 inch rims, in 215/45-r16. Had them when we bought the car, 3 years old, with less than 3500 miles. that's right, 35 hundred. That thing tramlines like crazy, on any kind of ribbed, ridge'd, uneven, troughed, or slighly rough pavement. Its bad enough I am kind of wondering about what it's doing to the alignment. On one road that I have to frequent, it is rutted so bad, it almost rips the steering wheel out of my hands, but that is an exceptionally bad road.

[quote name='SUBE555']I think most of the issues are once again... attributed to RE92's. Kevin said it firmed up with his Dunlop 9000's. I will give a report on sunday. Note, I will not be driving ANY miles on RE92's, they will all be on Toyo Proxes 4's so it should be a bit stickier and more firm off the bat.[/quote] Sube..you change tires like every post man! Make up your mind.. Wanna here something funn...I put off my vacation to Jamiaca till september so I can get new tires now for my Leggy....I know..I am a freak.. :evil:

Steering weight increased somewhat when I put on Rota Subzeros with Kuhmo MXs (stock tire size). Compared to the WRX, the quicker steering of the GT can require more attention on the highway especially if you are running at higher speeds (80 mph +). Tom

[quote name='B4_Maniac'][quote name='SUBE555']I think most of the issues are once again... attributed to RE92's. Kevin said it firmed up with his Dunlop 9000's. I will give a report on sunday. Note, I will not be driving ANY miles on RE92's, they will all be on Toyo Proxes 4's so it should be a bit stickier and more firm off the bat.[/quote] Sube..you change tires like every post man! Make up your mind.. Wanna here something funn...I put off my vacation to Jamiaca till september so I can get new tires now for my Leggy....I know..I am a freak.. :evil:[/quote] LOL!!
-ben

[quote name='iamEJ25']so what cars does it beat in terms of busting a U-turn?[/quote] Answering your question with a question: what cars have a smaller turning radius than 35.4 ft? Ken

[quote name='Ken S'][quote name='iamEJ25']so what cars does it beat in terms of busting a U-turn?[/quote] Answering your question with a question: what cars have a smaller turning radius than 35.4 ft? Ken[/quote] Lessee, Mini Cooper, Mazda Miata, oh- and that bear on a unicycle! The Legacy has a great turning radius, especially compared to Lexus, and many American cars.

BTW, I am hoping that larger wheel/tire combo (17x7.5 or 8 and 225/17/45 will firm up steering weight feel. Anyone upgraded tires and wheels out there to comment on steering feel impact?[/quote] I put Bridgestone S03's in a stock size. The steering firmed up nicely. I never noticed a problem with on center weighting with the RE92's (All 100 miles on them). I don't see a need to alter the size. I think you risk adding poor tracking on uneven roads with this approach. Bob.

I wonder if [url]www.rev-lab.com[/url] can rebuild my Legacy rack to even a quicker rack. I use to have (actually still do) a 11.5:1 rack for the WRX (turning radius of 34.5 feet). So from 3 turns lock to lock, I got it down to 2 turns lock to lock. The car feels soo much more alive, so much less effort to turn the car and switching lanes. The car doesnt walk from me either. I'll email rev-lab later to see what they can do for me... anyone interested in a quicker rack than stock? Keefe
Keefe

Archived