LegacyGT.com

Immobilizer keys = PITA

I went to my dealer asking for a Spare Key for my car. Not knowing the asinine logic of SOA and overwhelming inconvience of the dealer. It is going to cost $60 for a key and however long to reprogram the keys and fob; which will cost $85 (1 hour of labor). The cost of $145 for a key is outrageous. There has to be a way to make this work doing it ourselves.

Any techs out there that could help us out with this?

And people didn't seem to believe me when I brought this up.

Car companies are at the point where they can do anything they want. Some require you to order the keys from HQ. This has become quite a problem that AAA had to do an article in their magazine detailing the situation since they won't be able to help people anymore especially if you lost your keys on a weekend.

I'm going to have to remember to get a set of four keys made when I buy a new subaru, then.

one for me, one for the wife, one for a house spare, and one for a coded pattern master in the safe.

Maybe one as just a pattern-cut "dumb"-blank spare somewhere to open the doors, in case the keys are locked in the car, or to get to the trunk release if the ignition key and keyfob are lost. (since no exterior trunk lock cylinder on the LGT...)

After losing one of my trucks 2 PATS keys, and having that and the only keyfob replaced for almost 100$ at the local ford dealer, I am trying to get some ducks in a row. luckily the bike and other car use un-coded keys, so a trip to buy a blank and have it cut are a lot less expensive.

This isn't even as bad as my mom's Mercedies (sp). She has the laser key and they only supply one with the car, at least on the c230 in 2000, that they have to to the following:

1) order it from Germany (cost $150)

2) wait 4 - 6 weeks for delivery

3) call Germany and get the code for the keys (they don't ship with them)

4) have a technician program it in 3 times into the car (2 hours labor ~ $250) and if the technician misses a step he has to start all over again and if they fail 3 times they need to start the entire proccess over again.

5) Regester the key with germany and have them download the activation code into the car.

Parents are paranoid about the one key, but not worth getting another one.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

At that point, a key becomes more of a hassle than anything.

Why not just have a biometric pad on the steering wheel rim, and when you grip the steering wheel, it takes a hand print and a retina scan from the rear view mirror, and enables the engine start button... and a thumb print or keyless entry fob for the door.

That is more secure than these new keyless ignitions where you just sit in the car, and it senses your key in your pocket... Someone could still steal your key, and thus your car.

I mean, for pete's sake... the laser key shipped from germany + registration + programming + verification + zipitty-do-da

= rediculous.

So does that mean you have to leave your expensive car someplace away from home when you lose the one and only worth it's weight in gold buillion key? because they think someone might steal your expensive car? It certainly is more vulnerable in ___ Parking lot while you wait for the key from Germany...

But they would require you to go to the dealer with up to 4 drivers to register your fingerprints all at one time, and you have to get Subaru's tech line to authorize the registration. This would also make valet parking useless and you wouldn't have your kids move the car.

On paper it's a great system to prevent car theft. In reality it's PITA. The car companies must love it because they can make more money off of you.

BTW, the AAA article mentioned that most likely you will need to have the car towed to the dealer to get a new key made if not ordered. They ask that you consider this before purchasing a new car because AAA will not be able to help you in this situation.

I didn't read the whole post so you may already know this but the dealership can "marry" the new immobilizer key to the vehicle electronics without doing anything with Subaru. When I had my ECU reflashed, the master tech called me an asked me to bring my other immobilizer key and my door remotes in so I could get them both synched at the same time. You tech should know how to do this. Did mine in about 5 minutes while I waited.

Again - sorry if this has already been responded to by other members.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Well I guess I should read the manual. I bought the car last week ('05 GT), drove it home and it has remained parked in the garage. When negotiating the price (and extra goodies thrown in), an extra key was one of the things I asked for (I now have what appears to be 3 "master" keys and 1 valet key). I asked for the extra key because I was reading a thread here talking about the immobilzer system and the high price of keys. When I asked the salesman about it, he said the keys don't have a chip in them and after checking with the parts department, told me the key was $14. I have just been too **** busy to read the book. I AM thinking I would like a regular flat key...big honkin' key and remote (plus other keys) leads to unsightly bulges in my pants. :icon_bigg
It is still ugly.

Just read the manual on keys. Obviously my salesman did not know what he was talking about. I am guessing one of the keys won't work...I bet they didn't register the new key. I will just have to live with the bulge I guess. Also read before you post and you won't look stupid.
It is still ugly.

I didn't read the whole post so you may already know this but the dealership can "marry" the new immobilizer key to the vehicle electronics without doing anything with Subaru.

Correct, but they need the security tag/code from the car to program the keys, if you (or your dealer) doesn't have the code readily available the dealer must call Subaru to obtain the code. So if anyone is worried....make sure you have the code written down somewhere in case you need it.

If you bought the car new you should have recieved two small metal plates with ID number's stamped on them (usually attached to the keys they give you). These ID number's are 1) Key Code and 2) Immobilizer Security Code...if you have those the reprogramming should only take about 5 minutes....

...there is no way to program the Immobilizer keys manually.

I seem to recall mention in the Spec.B owner's manual that you can disable the immobilizer? I might be losing my mind but I'm going to double-check that next chance I get... might take a day or two though.

If you bought the car new you should have recieved two small metal plates with ID number's stamped on them (usually attached to the keys they give you). These ID number's are 1) Key Code and 2) Immobilizer Security Code...if you have those the reprogramming should only take about 5 minutes....

What I normally do is make a small label containing these numbers (and the license plate number) using a Brother p-touch or similar labeler and place the sticker on the back of my driver's license. That way I always have the numbers with me in case I lose my keys (or need the plate number at a hotel). I do this for both cars in case I have my wife's car.

It is still ugly.

• 2 months later...

time to revive this thread again when i ask this question.

can someone post a picture of what the 3 keys you get when you first purchase a legacy?

which leads to my next question... why not just copy the valet key? that has no chip. it just can't unlock the glove nor the trunk lock but other than that it works perfectly fine. so why not just copy that key?

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

i only have 1 key that looks like all the other transponder keys i have for the other vehicles at home. the other 2 keys i have look like copied keys.

so i'm a little confused regarding the transponder keys and setup.

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

I think I will order a 3rd master to keep "hidden" in the car, then get a Wal-Mart flat key cut for my walet. I also kept a valet key in my wallet since I was 19 (38 now)due to a $150 oops that involved a roadside locksmith vist.:icon_mad:

You could get a Sube with OnStar, but that would cost more than a key.

:lol:

Archived