LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT Limited wagon vs. Outback XT Limited?

I've read the specs, but what are the real-world differences between the two? I can guess at a few of them, but it's nice to get input from people with experience.

Also, I just noticed that a trailer hitch is not on the accessories list for the Legacy, but is for the Outback. Is one not available for the Legacy? I see that it does have a 2,700 lb towing capacity.

TIA.

I own a Legacy GT Ltd wagon, but I had a chance to drive an OBXT Ltd for a few days this week as a loaner from the dealer so the contrast between the two are fresh in my mind.

While the two vehicles do share a lot of common parts, the suspension set up makes a big difference in how they drive.

On the positive side, the OBXT transmits fewer road irregularities, bumps and potholes to the driver. That, combined with the higher seating position makes it a nice crusing vehicle. I was definetly more at ease driving over poor roads than in my LGT. Think of it as getting the benefits of an SUV but without the sloppy handling. It's a great choice if you need that extra GC.

On the negative side, the OBXT suspension does allow the vehicle to roll and wallow through turns. Again, not as much as an SUV, but coming from a LGT as a daily driver, I did find myself feeling less confident through turns. The OBXT also feels less willing to rotate and makes the vehicle feel a lot more heavier than the LGT wagon.

When I got back into my LGT wagon, I felt the complete opposite of the above. Quick and agile, but you feel and become a lot more aware of the road. It's amazing how two very similar vehicles can feel so different just by riding on two different suspension setups.

Power delivery and transmission behavior are, not suprisingly, the same.

Looks are subjective, but I like the front-end of the OBXT more than the LGT wagon. However, I love the clean flowing lines of the LGT wagon from the side.

Honestly, if I had the means, I wouldn't mind having both in my garage. One for on-road fun, and another for camping and back-country trips.

Ken

Thanks for the info. It's not a deal breaker for me, but it would be nice to have the capacity to tow. I'd like to buy a trailer for my motorcycles.

Check this thread for more information:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3533&highlight=legacy+tow+hitch

bottom line is – yes, you can get a tow hitch for the legacy (wagon and sedan)

Hmmm. That gives me food for thought. On the one hand, I'd prefer to preserve the better handling of the GT. OTOH, I do occasionally take my vehicles into mild off-road conditions, so the extra ground clearance would be nice.

Thanks for the input.

I own a Legacy GT Ltd wagon, but I had a chance to drive an OBXT Ltd for a few days this week as a loaner from the dealer so the contrast between the two are fresh in my mind.

While the two vehicles do share a lot of common parts, the suspension set up makes a big difference in how they drive.

On the positive side, the OBXT transmits fewer road irregularities, bumps and potholes to the driver. That, combined with the higher seating position makes it a nice crusing vehicle. I was definetly more at ease driving over poor roads than in my LGT. Think of it as getting the benefits of an SUV but without the sloppy handling. It's a great choice if you need that extra GC.

On the negative side, the OBXT suspension does allow the vehicle to roll and wallow through turns. Again, not as much as an SUV, but coming from a LGT as a daily driver, I did find myself feeling less confident through turns. The OBXT also feels less willing to rotate and makes the vehicle feel a lot more heavier than the LGT wagon.

When I got back into my LGT wagon, I felt the complete opposite of the above. Quick and agile, but you feel and become a lot more aware of the road. It's amazing how two very similar vehicles can feel so different just by riding on two different suspension setups.

Power delivery and transmission behavior are, not suprisingly, the same.

Looks are subjective, but I like the front-end of the OBXT more than the LGT wagon. However, I love the clean flowing lines of the LGT wagon from the side.

Honestly, if I had the means, I wouldn't mind having both in my garage. One for on-road fun, and another for camping and back-country trips.

Ken

I test drove them back to back with the thinking that if the OBXT drove like an SUV, I would get the LGT but otherwise I wanted the extra clearance. Like Ken mentioned, the OBXT definitely didn't handle as well as the LGT but it was more than acceptable. I chose the OBXT.

After 5 months, I'm still happy with my descision but there are some handling quirks that irk me. The rear feels under damped. When thrown into a bumpy corner, it feels like it is bouncing off my line a little. It also likes to roll quite a bit in the corners. I plan on getting a JDM 20mm sway bar and replacing the tires next summer which should help quite a bit from everything I've read. Eventually, someone is going to come out with a set of coilovers or good struts for the OB which will fix the handling completely.

If you really feel like you will use the extra clearance, go with the OB but otherwise I don't see any reason not to get the LGT (unless you want a wagon 2006 with a manual...).

I pretty much mirror kristian's message, but will state that if I had the option today to pick between the OBXT and LGT, I would pick the LGT. The handling quirks kristian mentions are spot-on, and I too think some Bilsteins, a JDM 20mm rear bar, and better tires would largely address the problem-even at the stock ride height. The ground clearance is very nice to have with the OBXT, albeit it is difficult to creep with the manual transmission when off-road.

I just came back from my in-law's ranch, and let me tell you, it was a Subaru mini-meet!

We had 5 Wagons up there, my '05 GT wagon, in-law's '03 Outback LTD, and '05 Outback, brother-in-law's 1998 Outback 30th Anniversary, sister-in-law's '03 Impreza wagon.

My wagon was the only Legacy that could NOT navigate the off-road conditions to get from the house down to the fishing hole.

The Outbacks did everything my dad's full-size Ford had to do, which was nothing major obviously like rock crawling, but a normal car would have bottomed out the nose and possibly high-centered in some places.

I was jealous of the Outback's off-road rancher potential... but I love the performance of the regular Legacy GT wagon best.

I've taken my OB off road a few times it and was a dream. In the deep snow it is also a dream. Slapped a JDM 20mm sway on the rear, and now it's a dream.

Only thing that 20mm sway will do negativly is it will hamper some off road cabability....but unless you plan on rock crawling you're OB, you'd never know. I say go with the OB if you're not sure, casue all it takes is about $200 to get to the turnign ability of the Leggy

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Only thing that 20mm sway will do negativly is it will hamper some off road cabability....but unless you plan on rock crawling you're OB, you'd never know.

Can you elaborate on that? I have yet to take mine off road but plan to as soon as my skid plates come in. I also am planning on a 20mm in the future. I won't be taking it to Moab (or at least not on the crazy stuff there) but there are still some fairly aggressive roads in Colorado that I would like to drive on.

The 20mm rear sway will reduce the axle articulation, or the ability for the wheels to stay in contact with the ground. Only really an issue with extreme angles, albeit I did snap a Whiteline end-link pulling into a driveway at a severe angle in my WRX with a WL rear bar set at full stiff once.

A sway bar, simply put, limits the independent motion of the wheels. I've known people who do moderate off-roading to completely remove their sway bar for that activity. For light off-roading, the 20mm bar is not going to make a big difference.

While going to a stiffer rear sway bar will tighten handling response a bit, I wouldn't expect major changes in the dynamics of the OB unless you spent much $$ on upgrading all the other components. However, by doing so, you also lose the light-offroadability that it was designed to accomplish in the first place.

Just speaking from my personal experience, the perceived need for the extra GC and off-roadability far outweighed what I actually got to do. 99% of the miles on my Forester were on-road and all that time I wished I could make it handle better. That's why the next time around, I decided to give up the "go-anywhere" thought and get a Legacy GT.

Ken

Our story - wanted a LGT - black/black, wagon, 5mt. None west of the MISSISSIPPI. Wait for 06 - no 5MT. Bought a OBXT as a last resort - new tires, wheels and coilovers. Handles better than a LGT in the summer and jack it back up this winter with the stock wheels and snow tires. Best of both worlds.

Hmmm. That gives me food for thought. On the one hand, I'd prefer to preserve the better handling of the GT. OTOH, I do occasionally take my vehicles into mild off-road conditions, so the extra ground clearance would be nice.

Thanks for the input.

Archived