LegacyGT.com

Which CAI Should I Buy?

zepplinluvr2

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I don't have a lot of money, and I want to provides me with everything I need..... without damaging the vehicle? :rolleyes:

No offense, but you do have everything you need to not damage the vehicle. Your first statement said it all, you don't have the money to properly 'upgrade' your car. So don't start making changes to your car. You will regret it sooner or later.

Speaking from experience in the school of hard knocks: I'm on my third motor, third tranny, third turbo and have every supporting mod on the car to max out my current build, and still use the stock airbox. Once I go front mount intercooler then I'll go with an intake. 360hp at 4,400ft elevation ain't bad on the stock intake.

PS: my first tranny failed after a 'tuner' suggested I eliminate the recirc valve, go with a BOV instead, vent to atmosphere, etc.

That was a very bad suggestion, by a WRX/STi tuner that had never tuned a GT, let alone an automatic GT.

I have more than tripled the cost of my car and there's still nothing I'd rather drive, so I'll keep going on this one.

Zepp, the guys aren't trying to be jerks, they're just being honest with you. There are plenty of things to do to your car that will help it out. Almost all of them need a tune. There are stickies on the forum to read through. Check there. You'll find after a bit that one question lead to another, and most questions have been answered on here before. You're headed in the right direction now, though. Good luck with it and enjoy the car.

TBH with all of you...........reading all this stuff about 2005 turbos going out.......is making me want to call the dealer and say "So yeah.......I don't want this car anymore". I'm not going to do any modifications to this car........I dont want it to blow up on me. FML....

Best part of when forum keyboard jockey's that like to bust chops and make that ever so played out comment "There's a search function... Use it"... Is if that where the case and everybody ONLY ever used the "Search Function" and just "Read" whats already in the forums... What would any of you guys have to talk about anymore? :lol:

Crazy little dynamic there! :spin:

Best part of when forum keyboard jockey's that like to bust chops and make that ever so played out comment "There's a search function... Use it"... Is if that where the case and everybody ONLY ever used the "Search Function" and just "Read" whats already in the forums... What would any of you guys have to talk about anymore? :lol:

Its called Off Topic Forum ;)

it's call trolling the n00bs

The reason I asked THAT question is because I've NEVER HEARD of tuning a car that doesn't have massive mods done to it. So EXCUSE me.....I think I'll be fine without your advice. Seems like everybody else is helpful though. So thank you to everybody else who is helping me out and answering my "stupid" questions. Maybe instead of bein rude about my questions, you could be helpful and just answer them. I wonder what kind of questions you asked when you first bought a turbo subaru. My guess is quite a bit..........but I'm sure everybody else answered your questions and that's HOW YOU LEARNED THESE THINGS. That's my .02 cents....get over it

i tuned my stock spec-v, and gained 12whp....i just got my subaru 5 weeks ago, but have worked on cars my whole life. the type of questions you asked implied you arent mechnically sound, not being a dick, but thats how it seems. anyone who has been cars long enough, or even with a good knowledge of cars, knows havinf a boosted engine, is a great platform.....imo, you bought a great car, but your car knowledge doesnt match the potential of your car....honestly, use google, and type in boxer engine, there are so many pages that describe how it works, exploded views, etc...all of that will be very helpful to give you a base knowledge of thats going on under your hood.

PS: my first tranny failed after a 'tuner' suggested I eliminate the recirc valve, go with a BOV instead, vent to atmosphere, etc.

That was a very bad suggestion, by a WRX/STi tuner that had never tuned a GT, let alone an automatic GT.

I have more than tripled the cost of my car and there's still nothing I'd rather drive, so I'll keep going on this one.

I'd like for you to elaborate on this. I mean I know about VTA being bad already but what about being automatic makes it even worse?

I'd like for you to elaborate on this. I mean I know about VTA being bad already but what about being automatic makes it even worse?

Does a BOV / BPV vent if the car's an auto and shifts occur without the throttle plate closing?

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Does a BOV / BPV vent if the car's an auto and shifts occur without the throttle plate closing?
Are you asking this to get me to figure it out myself? Because I have absolutely no idea. :p

I would assume that if the plate remains open, it wouldn't vent...

More a rhetorical question, like the one about the tree falling in the forest ;)

I'd also like to know how a BOV can hurt a slushbox.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Off topic content:

My vent to atmosphere BOV lasted only 1 week. WOT shifts were just the same as always, so I guess that answers the 2nd question, that without the throttle plate closing, venting is different than partial throttle or off the gas.

The shifting at partial throttle was really harsh. Shifts would hang forever, like the clutch slipping in my old '92 legacy turbo. My strong hunch is that vented gasses are used in some way for the tranny to shift. (I have zero technical explanation for why, simply my experience).

Shifts that were to occur when completely off throttle, for example freeway driving and having to let off the gas for traffic slowing, the shifts were extremely harsh. Like "knock your teeth out" harsh. Bang, and a shift had happened. Such a hard shudder and slam into another gear it was scary. I had to drive the car in "manual mode" all of the time.

So the only shifts that would happen in a somewhat similar fashion were WOT shifts.

1 week of this and I had the recirc hose plumbed back in and stock recirc valve back in place. Tranny was a softer than ever shifter after this and the tranny didn't survive the 'tuning' process for my BNR 16G install. Under WOT the gears would slip when up-shifting. RPM's would jump up approx 1,500rpms while trying to grab another gear. Had a fluid drain/refill with another round of Amsoil ATF, didn't do any more than help just a bit. After approx 3 weeks of slipping shifts, tranny was pulled for a 41K unit to be dropped in.

Unrelated info, but may be helpful in addition, currently I have in place the Forge recirc valve and have the stiffest spring included with both spacers in place for the stiffest spring available before recirc happens. Shifts are very crisp and accurate while running the HexMods F1 valve body, up to 22psi on my BNRhta68, e85 and all supporting fuel mods, motor with forged pistons, race bearings, head studs, etc, etc, etc. Prior to the recirc valve upgrade under WOT on the dyno it sounded like "waste-gate flutter" and spool would suffer. Upgraded waste gate did not improve a thing. I am a firm believer that 5EAT guys with mods should look to hold that power in place with a stronger recirc spring in place. Apparently I was in partial recirc almost all of the time.

Back on topic: don't buy a Cold Air Intake. Making your Subaru GT sound cool will impact its reliability down the road, sooner or later.

the only logical reason for a bov to cause issues with auto shifts is that the "bog" of richness after the manifold pressure has been evacuated causes less calculated engine load thus the tcu is not seeing load on the tranny, therefore less perceived load equates to less clutch line pressures, which would also cause hanging in between shifts.

the only logical reason for a bov to cause issues with auto shifts is that the "bog" of richness after the manifold pressure has been evacuated causes less calculated engine load thus the tcu is not seeing load on the tranny, therefore less perceived load equates to less clutch line pressures, which would also cause hanging in between shifts.

Since load is calculated from air flow, and recirculated air being fed back in downstream of the MAF, I don't see how being VTA or recirc will affect the MAF reading. Sure it affects fueling during and shortly after venting, but not MAFv, and therefore not calculated load.

Archived