LegacyGT.com

Valve cover gasket replacement-passenger side

I just finished replacing the valve cover rubber gasket on the passenger side. The leak in that area had gotten pretty bad the last couple months. Even when I put the a/c or heat on recirculate I could smell the burning oil stink from the oil landing on the exhaust. The bottom half of the rubber gasket that I removed was pretty hard but the top portion was still flexible. I noticed that the gasket surface that contacts the head, which I assume is the original, was flat, smooth. The Victor Reinz gasket that I bought has small ridges which hopefully seals better.

It appears that anything made of rubber on that side of the engine(rear) requires periodic replacement. The turbo really seems to give off a lot of heat. The two rubber air hoses that plug into the top of the cover were both rock hard and split when I tried to push them back on.

Can fuel or heater hoses work in these spots or are molded hoses from the dealer required?

Get the OEM ones from the dealer, they're not that expensive and will fit nicely.

I replaced them when I did the short block. Just use screw type clamps to hold them on.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My local dealer sucks. Wanted $12 for one hose and $43 for the other. Checked another dealer that sells online and they have them for $7.50 and $27.... Such a huge difference. Do you have any suggestions on where to price these?

Did the hoses kink at the bends? They seem to fit pretty snug in that area behind the coolant tank. One of them has to make two 90 degree bends.

Would you mind taking a pic?

No kinks. I don't have any pics of that area on hand. I'll try and remember next time I have the hood up.

Do you have to lift the motor or anything or is there room as is?

I haven't picked up a repair manual yet or I wouldn't have asked.

I had a hard time removing the valve cover until I removed what appears to be some kind of fiber heat shield that is attached to the body right in front of the valve cover. It has a bulge that got the way. It's held in place by two plastic fasteners. Once I removed that, the cover came right out. No need to lift the engine.

I also replaced the hoses with 5/8 and 1/2 inch hose from Oreilly's. One of the original hoses is 1/2 inch at the valve cover but plugs into a 5/8 inch fitting near the intake manifold. Why there would be a hose with ends of two different diameters makes no sense. This one will require a piece of 1/2 inch hose, a piece of 5/8 hose hose and a 1/2 inch to 5/8 inch adapter. The total length is about 1.5 ft. The other hose is 5/8 in. In diameter at both ends. This one is slightly longer, maybe 2 ft in length. This particlular hose has hose clamps at both ends. I had to pry these clamps apart with a big screwdriver.

Use crew type clamps on the new hose. Make sure not to use a clamp meant to secure a maximum 5/8 diameter hose, use the next size up.

$13 bucks sure is cheaper than the $45 that the dealer was asking for and they dont look much different than stock. And I didnt have to wait 5 days to get them. (Had to be ordered)

• 2 years later...

Archived