LegacyGT.com

Red Film for tail lights

mwiener2

Hey guys!

I'm the seller on eBay who sells these red vinyl covers for various cars. Gireland has emailed me about the demand you guys have for these covers on the new Legacy Wagon and I'm interested in making them for you guys. =)

Anyhow, I'll need the actual tail light assembly in order to make the vinyl covers fit perfectly onto the car. I've searched around and couldn't find anyone who can let me use the taillights for half a day to make the template. Maybe somebody on this forum will know where I can get a hold of a set of taillights.

Nice forum by the way! =)

Thanks,

Yorick

Yorick- thanks for the prompt response! I like the enthusiasm. Odds are you are in Southern Cali? As I seem to be the most persistant on this mod, I would love to be the tail light test-mule but I'm up in Vancouver BC... As PGT asked above, where are you located? Hopefully we can get you a set to measure up asap!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm actually in Canada too...but far from Vancouver, =). I'm located in Toronto, Ontario. Do anybody live in the area?

I've also tried looking on eBay for a set of used taillights so I can make the template but no luck there. Anybody selling their tails here on the forums? Or maybe someone not driving their car for a week so they can ship over the tails for me to make the template and I'll send it right back when I'm done?

Thanks

Yorick

Like the Hippo Sleek ones attached?

Notice the beautiful all-red JDM tail underneath?;):rolleyes:

Personally, I don't like the hippo sleek ones at all. I'd go for these K2gear finishers, though

http://www.k2k2.jp/img/earo/FINISHER/RRF000.jpg

http://www.k2k2.jp/img/earo/FINISHER/RRF008b.jpg

Those seem much cooler than the hippo versions.

And yes, for all-red being icky, why are the JDM ones all-red? The reverse lights on the wagon are separate, so all red seems fine to me.

I wouldn't go ALL-red on the miata, though. I have considered red-outs for the amber signals on my miata, which is the same as the sample I posted, except that ours is painted red, instead of green.

However, I wouldn't do the reverse lights. That is asking for trouble when backing up.

Hey guys!

I'm the seller on eBay who sells these red vinyl covers for various cars. Gireland has emailed me about the demand you guys have for these covers on the new Legacy Wagon and I'm interested in making them for you guys. =)

Anyhow, I'll need the actual tail light assembly in order to make the vinyl covers fit perfectly onto the car. I've searched around and couldn't find anyone who can let me use the taillights for half a day to make the template. Maybe somebody on this forum will know where I can get a hold of a set of taillights.

Nice forum by the way! =)

Thanks,

Yorick

I want red tint for the sedans!!!+1

hey mokiboy, if you can't get ahold of a tailight assembly...think you could just sell me a square of film?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedimaster

Forgive me for what will sound like sarcasm, but it's really ignorance. The taillights are already red, no?

you even have a wagon...bad jedi

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

hey mokiboy, if you can't get ahold of a tailight assembly...think you could just sell me a square of film?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedimaster

Forgive me for what will sound like sarcasm, but it's really ignorance. The taillights are already red, no?

you even have a wagon...bad jedi

Good call - I'd pay for a square....if you have a square to spare.

blue bat did my red outs for my Vibe GT I traded in on the LGT. He does a good job, but doesn't have anything for the LGT. :(

also, you could email Ryan at www.grafxwerks.com because I know he also can sell the translucent film. He's a great guy to deal with and i've done business with him for the past 2 yrs. he's working on some custom emblems for me now.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

before:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/trdvibe/new%20body%20side%20graphics/tails.jpg

after:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/trdvibe/new%20body%20side%20graphics/8130108f.jpg

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

This may be a silly question; but will regular window tint(kind sold at Home depot, Pep Boys) stick to the plastic headlight/taillight lens? If so I'd like to give it a try as opposed to buying the tint kits.
Megan header,Perrin TMIC, TD06-20G,AEM CAI, Lachute DP, Avo BOV, BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech lines, Snow WI

This may be a silly question; but will regular window tint(kind sold at Home depot, Pep Boys) stick to the plastic headlight/taillight lens? If so I'd like to give it a try as opposed to buying the tint kits.

A few things, first off window tint is designed for interior applications and on glass. It will have a very hard time conforming to a headlight, lasting in an exterior application, and won't add much of anything as far as protection goes. You would also need to find tint that was designed to go onto a plastic/polycarbonate surface. I know of one bug eye owner who installed some generic tint to his headlights and after a few months he was tired of them and went to remove them - and they wanted nothing of it. He wound up WET SANDING THEM OFF!

If you are going to try something on your own I would have to say buyer be ware. I would hate to have to try and wet-sand an experiment off in hopes I could get the lamp looking new again.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
blue bat did my red outs for my Vibe GT I traded in on the LGT. He does a good job, but doesn't have anything for the LGT. :(

also, you could email Ryan at www.grafxwerks.com because I know he also can sell the translucent film. He's a great guy to deal with and i've done business with him for the past 2 yrs. he's working on some custom emblems for me now.

I know I'm raising this from the dead but....did anyone ever get the overlay from grafxwerks.com?? This-

http://www.grafxwerks.com/products/images/prod_images/1240_01.jpg

I am thinking about getting it but it looks like there is a gap where amber still shows. If anyone got this from them can you post some pictures of how it looks.

I f**ked mine up and peeled it off.

Very tough to install.

CDN_2.5i installed his that look 99% terrific. He used NO stretching whatsoever, just lots of heat from a hair dryer and about 30 minutes of patience (probably per side).

PM him for more details.

I might buy another set in the summer when the weather is warmer.

Yamie- the grafxwerks versions won't show any yellow, as long as you line it up perfectly.

i'm gonna buy new ones and have a tint shop put them on for me when i get tint....then i can yell at then when they screw it up instead of just feeling sorry for myself...like i already do

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived