LegacyGT.com

vf52 swap done

They tune a lot of subaru's and other imports. They recommended colder plugs, said it is possible with the tune and platinum plugs it could missfire. Does it alter performance to go copper ? Or just the shorter duration between plug changes?

I'm guessing shorter replacement times. Most of us go with the stock style plug. I'm one step colder, they were $10.00 cheaper.

Glad your happy with the tune, watch your oil usage.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a few more things to do :

JDM TGV deletes

Perrin side feed fuel rails

Deastchworks injectors (thinking 850's)

Front and rear swaybars

Rallitek skid plate

Turbo blanket

Retune

I have a few maintenance issues to address.

Dome light doesn't work

Power steering squeals the belt on start up and occasionally while at a stop. (New belt on it)

Repair paint chips

Re rustproof and have front 3M'd

Done for good at that point. Onto a 1997 road course/track car for summer driving.

Dome light could be the bulb.

PS belt, your saying the new one squeals ? Tighten it up.

You want to see paint chips... I can feel your pain, you should see more wagon up close.

You can get touch up paint to fill in the chips on the steel fenders.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks! The problem with the dome light is definitely the bulb. I found this out after driving the car for a big the door close switch is acting up on the drivers side. Previous owner shimmed it up with foam tape. Step one install new door switch (take ugly tape off) then put a bulb in dome light. And it seems the dome light cover was shimmed with wrappers (it rattles if removed) so that should be fun. LOL

• 3 weeks later...
I went up there thinking about doing two runs, on taking off regularly and one using launch control and flat foot shift. I ended up pulling it up to 2k and popping the clutch and don't ask why, lol. But it was about 10 ft of sputtering and a let off between shifts. I was going to run again buy a car blew oil all over the track and it got shut down for over an hour. I'll redeem myself next year. I know the speed is there

Drop the 60' to 1.8 or so like I did my first time on the track and it'll be mid 13s

We should be capable of at least 13flat since stg2 is low-mid 13s

I'll give it another run or 10 this Spring to try to get it

First time on the track too?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Bringing it back to life. I got my lgt on their dyno today with a vf52 with injectors and and made 310hp and 318tq

Bringing this back up, how did you make such little tq? I made 347tq on the stock turbo, and I'm about to pick up a VF52 soon.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

This was at the wheel on a mustang dynojet, on mine at least. That is on a tune that was pushing stock injectors to 100% duty cycle. The "safe tune" puts out noticeably less. The 308 lb ft at the wheels is definitely pushing my act clutch (new) which is supposed to handle 400lb ft at the crank. So I don't know how I got so low of a torque figure. But I am happy with it. :D

I didn't install a fuel pump with my VF52. I was advised by a source a lot of us know is reliable that the stock pump operates at either 33% or 100% duty cycle, so what it comes down to is whether the pump can maintain higher pressure. As I'm told, the pump is unlikely to burn out due to higher demand.
Tits mcgee

280/325 on 19.5psi.......I don't have injectors and I have an '08 STI fp. That tune was with a very restricted exhaust too (3" dp to 2 1/4"). I just got my engine rebuilt and I'm picking my car up next week.....after my 1k mile break in I will repost with my retune.

Archived