LegacyGT.com

I just need to vent.....

LOL great responses guys. I guess I will quit my whining. :lol:

I bought the car to drive hard and have fun. My wifes Outback does the rest. Am I easy on my cars- probably not. It's just that I drove my last car the same way (Altima) and only had to replace a muffler and thermostat in 156K miles. I sold if for $3000 in awesome shape and saw it on the road for another 3 years.

FYI- I have never smoked a clutch. The TOB exploding @80K miles is what caused the clutch failure. I went with an Excedy upgrade and a SMFW and have had nothing but issues since. Maybe it's the mechanic.

Thanks again guys. I will keep her.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FYI- I have never smoked a clutch. The TOB exploding @80K miles is what caused the clutch failure. I went with an Excedy upgrade and a SMFW and have had nothing but issues since. Maybe it's the mechanic.

Its the excedy, the one I had in my bug-eye lasted only 1 easy launch. then slipped at 7k...6k..5k.. till I couldnt get it to drive up hills anymore. Then I got ACT set-up and started blowing front diffs..

I have yet to hear anything good about an exedy clutch from anyone.

LOL great responses guys. I guess I will quit my whining. :lol:

I bought the car to drive hard and have fun. My wifes Outback does the rest. Am I easy on my cars- probably not. It's just that I drove my last car the same way (Altima) and only had to replace a muffler and thermostat in 156K miles. I sold if for $3000 in awesome shape and saw it on the road for another 3 years.

Thanks again guys. I will keep her.

As far as the no maintenance Altima, of course nothing broke in 156k, there is nothing special about an Altima that would warrant "spirited driving" or putting any form of strain on the drive train ie: turbo, four wheels to push all the time, driving like you stole it.......

The TOB could have been a defective part or a bad install, I know it isn't the easiest thing to replace but if you can do the labor yourself there are way more expensive parts to worry about breaking on a Legacy.

It's a hella lot cheaper if you're able to do your own work. My car has only seen the dealership twice in the past 6 yrs, once for the fan relay and the other for a TOB that left me stranded 180 miles away from home. Everything else I've done my own.

Car has 115k miles

3 TOB

2 Clutches

Axle boots (replacing another one this weekend)

1 set of LCA bushings

1 Power steering pump

3 sets of Plugs

Timing belt

Next few months

All 4 shocks

Valve cover gaskets (starting to leak)

Besides this, it's been a very reliable car and I still enjoy driving her everyday.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Hmm sounds like my car. 93k miles and I'm suspect of the TOB, I've replaced the LCA bushings (they were quite torn, used Gp.N replacement parts), water pump/belts (90k service), axle boots are starting to leak, had a coolant leak, and need new/turned rotors.

That said it's a badass car and I feel like I just got it at a less-than-optimal time in its lifespan (~85k mi.). If I need to replace the TOB I'll put in a new clutch as well and I figure the car will serve me well for a long time after that. Everything else is just minor wear and tear, especially considering a 20yr old male is behind the wheel.

I have yet to hear anything good about an exedy clutch from anyone.

Exedy clutches are AWESOME, as long as you are talking about OEM replacement and not upgrades. I would not hesitate to use a standard exedy clutch to replace oem for oem purposes. Exedy makes many, many of the oem clutches in production cars.

I also understand that their multi-clutch packs are quite good.

Their stage 1 kit for the LGT is horrific and I would not wish it on anyone :lol:.

Exedy clutches are AWESOME, as long as you are talking about OEM replacement and not upgrades. I would not hesitate to use a standard exedy clutch to replace oem for oem purposes. Exedy makes many, many of the oem clutches in production cars.

I also understand that their multi-clutch packs are quite good.

Their stage 1 kit for the LGT is horrific and I would not wish it on anyone :lol:.

Good to hear, I have one on the way. For the G/F's 05 WRX. At over 150k, the clutch don't slip, but the clutch pedal pushes hard. Like the TOB is dragging on the input shaft. And her lower turbo coolant line as sprung a leak & need to inspect her turbo & banjo filter bolt, that's under the turbo. Which will be easier to do when the transaxle, exhaust & turbo is out of the way. New Exedy OEM replacement clutch setup will be here Monday. At $260 from FBP, Im willing to give then a try.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Here's a link, 05 WRX, 2.0L http://www.fredbeansparts.com/exedy-oem-replacement-subaru-wrx-clutch-kit.html

New flywheel about $209. Dealer as one in stock. So I'm going to wait to see how bad the original one is. If it can be cleaned up or not. The way she drives. It wouldn't surprise me if I can reuse it, we'll see.

05 GT EXEDY OEM Subaru replacements $396.00 http://www.fredbeansparts.com/exedy-oem-replacement-clutch-kit.html

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

$1000 for a exedy clutch setup? :confused:

Mike/Hammerdown you might want to consider a TSK kit as the exedy TOB are admittedly average in quality. The COMP TOB was much, much beefier. So beefy I did not use a TSK kit in my LGT as there was no shaft damage anyhow on my 3rd clutch. You can always decide after you open it up if you can wait a few days for potential shipping.

• Mega Users

my car is starting to rust out on the drivers side. Its a 2007.

My biggest issues with these cars is the quality of materials, not the "build" quality of the car. Its a sound automobile for sure, very reliable. But Subaru uses cheap, shitty interior/exterior materials.

There is always a trade off though. Like everyone said, cheap car/insurance and taxes trump all the pros of getting a new vehicle.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Archived