LegacyGT.com

--How To Modify Your Subaru Badge of Ownership--

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thats not in PS, its custom third brake light tint. :lol:

we matched the brightness of the taillights to that of the 3rd brake light

:rolleyes:

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Keep your badges (lots of time invested), but seriously consider removing the tail light tint. Sure you can see a percentage of light emitting from them - but they have no reflective value that keeps your ass end visible when parked at night.

I've also referred to that tool with no name as a nylon pry tool.

:lol: I took that picture in the dark and had to lighten the picture up a ton so you could see everything, and the 3rd brake light area looked seriously weird for some reason (really grey), so I just ran a black bar across it in MS Paint and didn't noticed the contrast at the time. The only thing on the back window is 35% 3M tint on the inside of the glass. The tint on the tails (actually paint) was applied in several thin coats until the brightness of the tails matched that of the 3rd brake light shining through the tint. There was a lot of time and energy that went into it.

You guys can stop talking about me removing the tail tint because the back end of the car looks eleventy billion times better without the clashing reds, so I honestly don't care about your safety opinions on the matter. You're wasting your keystrokes. I understand your points, but they won't change anything. :)

...consider removing the tail light tint. Sure you can see a percentage of light emitting from them - but they have no reflective value that keeps your ass end visible when parked at night.

There's plenty of reflection from them. They're not as dark as they appear in the pictures. The bright lights under the reverse lights in the last pic are the reflectors reflecting the camera flash. :lol: The car is off in this picture.

I've also referred to that tool with no name as a nylon pry tool.

Nylon! Yes, that's it! Couldn't remember the material.

These things light up the night. Compare this to most older vehicles, and I'm not the car you should be worried about rear-ending.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/Suby/IMG_3800.jpg

And here's a pic of one in the light. Hopefully I don't sound arrogant when I say that this is the most tastefully-done tail tint I've seen, and I've seen a lot.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/Suby/IMG_3037-Copy.jpg

As soon as you stop justifying your endangering those around you to be ricey, I'll stop retorting but you must note that ALL of your last posts bumping your own thread OVER AND OVER defending yourself commenting about the tail tint, and have not been about the badges.

Maybe you need to drop it?

now lets see the other car's brake lights on in the same picture for comparison. :rolleyes:

Get out of here with your logic, you! :lol:

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 1 month later...
just so you know, if you do get rearended you might be out of luck when it comes to insurance because of your tinted tails. seen it happen multiple times where neither insurance company will help out cause you "illegally modified" your lights. just a point to make.

I'm normally not one to beat a dead horse, but I'm gonna throw this down anyway because it'll be fun. A kid in a Honda with cleared headlights drove by me today. It made me think of this discussion and I had a good chuckle. The discussion is about the safety hazard that is tinted taillights...but what about all the other hazards we car modifiers create?

Is your car lowered? That lowers your field of vision in traffic such that you may not be able to see above or through the vehicle in front of you in order to potentially prevent an multi-car pileup. That also lowers your vehicle's belt line, putting you and your passengers at greater risk in a collision. That increases the likelihood of a hazard on the road (such as a large piece of retread sitting in the middle of your lane on the freeway) becoming more dangerous. The point I'm making here is that, per our previous discussion, any amount of lowering/tinting (regardless of extent) decreases the inherent safety of you and those around you.

Do you have cleared headlights? Did you remove the side reflector when you did? I'm sure I need not explain why that can be a safety issue.

Do you have tint on your front windows? That decreases your outward vision when driving at night (and during the day for that matter), while also impeding your side-mirror view. Do you have tint on your back window? Especially anything less than 35%? Guess what? You're gonna hit a kid on his bike while backing out of that parking space.

Do you have modified exhaust? Fewer than your stock number of cats? Well you just increased green house gases and we're all going to die.

Do you have larger than stock wheels? Some of you have heavier than stock wheels for cosmetics. Congratulations! You just decreased your effective braking distance, thus endangering everyone else on the road (not to mention your ability to maneuver if necessary). Yes, I know some are smart enough to go lighter and/or improve their braking. Thank you.

Do you have more torque/power than stock? Stiffer sways? Some idiots with these changes have a greater likelihood of letting the back end come out too much on a turn and hurting themselves and/or others.

Have you ever driven over the speed limit? How about 10 over? How about 50 over? Be honest.

Do you change lanes without signaling the correct number of seconds in advance?

Do you always keep the correct distance between you and the car in front of you?

I'm stretching this on purpose to prove a point. Some are quick to cast stones at someone for tail light tint, but the fact of the matter is that everyone in this thread has done something to decrease the traffic safety of their vehicle. So if you're in my badge thread going on about what a danger tail light tint is, you had better start harrassing everyone in the lowered thread, everyone in the sway threads, and pretty much everyone on this forum for that matter.

Feel free to rebut if it makes you feel better, but it won't get anywhere with me. Nobody here is innocent of endangering others with unnecessary modifications.

That's an awful long list of straws you are grabbing at. The bulk of your list includes things that increase the burden of responsibility on the driver, and every mod on your list can be done legally if the owner wants.

Tinted tails are a menace because they are not only always illegal, but they increase the burden on OTHER drivers. That is simply inexcusable, regardless of how much you try to justify them.

I'm interested in the legality discussion. I can only find that vehicles must have a...

"...tail lamp mounted on the rear, which when lighted as required, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred (500) feet to the rear."

(It goes on to state that vehicles after 1955 must have two tail lamps)

My street goes straight out from my garage, so I was able to walk almost a half mile and still EASILY see them. Even when a car drove by and shined its headlights directly on my car. Remember that my tails match the brightness of my 3rd brake light through 35% window tint, so for reference, if you have legal 35% tint, you can look at the brightness of your 3rd brake lamp to know how bright my tails are when braking. Yes, they're not as bright when just parking lamp brightness, but this is the mode I used for my test (no depressed brake pedal).

FMVSS108 explicitly states that there may be no alteration or covering of the light. And "Red" is not explicitly defined, which puts it within the discretion of an officer at the scene. "Plainly visible" is also up to discretion. There is also the fact that you are modifying a DOT compliant product (making it no longer DOT compliant without a recertification). That last one isn't a BIG deal, unless you permanently modified the light.

The legal aspects of tail light tint has been covered so in-depth on this board, it's not a hard search.

Archived