LegacyGT.com

Clutch replacement options and cost for DD?

vlad_b

reading your sig you have a 07 spec b? im going to assume this is correct. Im replacing the clutch in my 08 spec B with the 6 speed and did alot of looking around. The stock Spec b clutch for the 6 speed is not the same as the clutch for the sti, same with the flywheel. The sti clutch is about 10mm thicker and the flywheel is a single mass vs the spec b with a dual mass. Im upgrading mine to a stock STI clutch and a stock sti flywheel which should be a nice small upgrade but still very daily driveable. If your planning on alot of upgrades for power i wouldnt suggest this route as its not going to hold much over the stock levels but if your planning on just a DD replacement for a car with minimal power mods this is a great choice. Also apparently the DIY video in the DIY how to section on replacing a clutch will work for the spec b with 6 speed as well its just more of a pain with tranny/ turbo clearance issues when pulling it back for the replacement. Good luck!

I picked mine up from Josh at importimageracing.com the part numbers for his website are here...

Exedy Stock Replacement Clutch for 04-12 STI Part Number: FJK1000

and...

Subaru OEM Flywheel 2004-2012 Subaru STi Part Number: 12310AA410

I just ordered friday so should be in mid week this week. Not sure yet when im getting them put in but it has to be soon im slipping in 6th at WOT so just taking it easy for now but will be very very soon i need boost again lol

I think I might do the same. Can you let me know which part numbers you got and how it goes?

Yes, mine is 07 spec B, 6 speed, and from reading around I got the impression it's exactly the same as 08 and different from 06.

I don't need anything stronger than stock. Just looking for the cheapest was to replace. It's a DD and a winter car.

IMO, cheapest is not always what you want...

IMO I would buy from one of the vendors on here like "m sprank" or Mike at AZPinstalls.com these guy's know these cars better than most people and help out on here for free.

Support the guy's that support the forum.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm going to shoot m sprank a PM. With my engine out and 80,000 miles on the stock clutch that is starting to chatter in the cold and creek lots I think I'll be replacing it.

I'll need a suitable replacement for the DMFW (preferably not a lightweight SMFW as I am reading they cause drivability issues) and a good clutch/pp for everyday driving and not something too heavy that will punch a hole in the clutch fork :p

IMO, cheapest is not always what you want...

IMO I would buy from one of the vendors on here like "m sprank" or Mike at AZPinstalls.com these guy's know these cars better than most people and help out on here for free.

Support the guy's that support the forum.

I meant best priced suitable option. Not cheapest junk I can find of course. And right now I can't find anything cheaper than OEM replacement from my dealer. Which is ridiculous!

I'm going to shoot m sprank a PM. With my engine out and 80,000 miles on the stock clutch that is starting to chatter in the cold and creek lots I think I'll be replacing it.

I'll need a suitable replacement for the DMFW (preferably not a lightweight SMFW as I am reading they cause drivability issues) and a good clutch/pp for everyday driving and not something too heavy that will punch a hole in the clutch fork :p

With 80,000 miles on it, it's not smart to put it back in. You should be able to get a 07-09 oem style replacement FW. Do you plan to keep the car ? If so, see my reply below,

I meant best priced suitable option. Not cheapest junk I can find of course. And right now I can't find anything cheaper than OEM replacement from my dealer. Which is ridiculous!

If you take the money that you'll spend on a so/so oem replacement, think of it as money spent, than try and find another $100 or so dollars for the upgrade it's easier to justify the cost of the better unit.

I'd hate to see you spend your money and something you end up not liking, That's when you realize, for a little more money, I could of had something I'd of been happier with.

That's one of life's lesson's I learned a long time ago. Luckily it was on a $80.00 jacket that I learned that. For a few dollars more I could have got something I would have enjoyed wearing more. When my son was 13 y/o, I was looking at another pair of skis, I said, I don't really need them, he said, Dad, it's not about what you need, it's about what you want.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I have the Exedy FJK all in one kit with the LWFW. If I could turn back the clock I would have gone with another OEM. My car is stock.

I don't like the feel of the SMFW. It's very grabby which makes it impossible to sit on an incline. Launching is also very difficult. Also keep in mind the stock DMFW absorbs most of the vibration. Take off in 2nd gear now and watch the quarters bounce out of your ash tray. :lol:

I have 9000 miles on that Exedy clutch now and I'm going to replace it. The tranny has already been out twice because the Exedy TOB sucks. Now the noises are just too much for me to deal with. Plus I'm tired of smelling burn clutch when I try to take off fast in 1st gear.:mad:

With 80,000 miles on it, it's not smart to put it back in. You should be able to get a 07-09 oem style replacement FW. Do you plan to keep the car ? If so, see my reply below,

If you take the money that you'll spend on a so/so oem replacement, think of it as money spent, than try and find another $100 or so dollars for the upgrade it's easier to justify the cost of the better unit.

I'd hate to see you spend your money and something you end up not liking, That's when you realize, for a little more money, I could of had something I'd of been happier with.

That's one of life's lesson's I learned a long time ago. Luckily it was on a $80.00 jacket that I learned that. For a few dollars more I could have got something I would have enjoyed wearing more. When my son was 13 y/o, I was looking at another pair of skis, I said, I don't really need them, he said, Dad, it's not about what you need, it's about what you want.

I have no reason to not keep the car, unless you're suggesting it isn't going to run well when I get it back...

There are a variety of conflicting reports with aftermarket clutches. Yes I agree that it is wise to upgrade when you can (hence the TSK3 kit and the Killer B oil pickup) but I also don't feel that I need an upgrade because the stock clutch offers what I need.

m sprank suggested that I go with the 2007 LGT clutch and flywheel as it will fit just fine and is cheaper thanks to the single mass flywheel. Does anyone know offhand how heavy the stock SMFW is?

Thanks.

I was talking to the guys at Foreman Performance, a shop here in SoCal, they recommended to go with OEM/Exedy again if you are not making crazy power (I assume 300whp+), putting the aftermarket, say FX300, stresses the tranny too much...it's better to have the OEM ones again, and just let it wear out quicker

what's your take?

I would never put a oem replacement clutch in these cars. All 3 of my Legacy GT wagons from my 98, 00 & the 05 would smoke the clutch when I backed up in 3" of wet snow.

To me that just say's the thing is weak.

If you want something a little better go with a FX200, your in CA, PM m sprank and see what he recommends. I'm sure he can get you what you need the next day.

May be the 07-09 have better clutches then the early ones came with.

The TSK3 kit's should also be installed in these too.

For those who new clutches chatter, try putting the tranny in neutral and side step the clutch pedal. That worked for me with the Spec 2+.

I do remember the OEM clutch would chatter when it was damp out in all my wagons.

The clutch in my 09 Spec B has never chattered.

m sprank suggested that I go with the 2007 LGT clutch and flywheel as it will fit just fine and is cheaper thanks to the single mass flywheel. Does anyone know offhand how heavy the stock SMFW is?

Thanks.

Does that mean you found 07 stock parts from some of the vendors here? Cheaper than from stealership?

Does anyone know offhand how heavy the stock SMFW is?

Thanks.

In this thread http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/just-fyi-photo-comparison-dual-mass-vs-single-mass-flywheels-129928.html

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

No, just that these guy's help out for free and have great info.

I've always said, we should support the people that help out here for free. They also pay to have thier web site in there sig.

It may cost you a little more but if you have a issue these guy's will take care of you.

I think the OEM SMFW is 24lbs, the DMFW is 27lbs.

Due to financial reasons I will most likely keep my Excedy setup for now however I will install the TSK3 kit. I should have done that in the first place concidering my TOB looked like buck-shot scattered in my bell housing. I believe that will fix a lot of my noise issues as well as the clutch pedal making a clanking noise when I release it. (Car on or off)

On a side note- I have noticed that my RPM's drop really fast when disengaging the clutch. It's almost as if the car wants to stall for a split second. My guess is the LWFW has much less rotating mass so the engine unwinds faster. It's just another annoying thing to bitch about.

Archived