LegacyGT.com

FP Green vs HTA 71?

I cannot see only a slight different output based on the fact its going from a 68mm wheel to a 71mm wheel. The other thing to keep in mind is the 68 is rated at 47lbs per minute which i have yet to see so even though this is rated at 51lbs per minute that may be rated at a higher psi than you can run safely on the 2.5L stock. i have the original fphta68 that has a 7cm exhaust housing which is supposed to choke at higher rpms although from my dyno sheets you can tell there is very little drop off.

I think this turbo could be great at 22-23psi for someone who wants to see 400whp but may not run it like that all the time, my hta68 will NEVER get me that power at this altitude.

Keep in mind this is my personal car and would be about 20hp or so lower on the local dyno dynamics, these numbers were on a superflow with the hta68.

Details to the full mod list are in the dyno forum

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/dynotune-rental-cryotune-performance-2006-lgt-specb-fp-hta68-363hp-191224.html

Pretty happy with 363hp and 397tq

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125794&d=1344907035

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

edit: and yes, FP does seem to be a little optimistic with their compressor flow numbers. Although not overly.

Quite normal for vendors to quote a flow number at the choke point that's not reachable or useful. There just isn't any sort of industry standard in play.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I would never pull a motor that was running just fine unless i knew for a fact the turbo would pop it. If your willing to pay to play i would say go for the hta71/blouch 1.5xt/green and tune it to put down power in the safe range and "over the limit" and push it for a while to see where you are. There are people in co that have ran upwards of 400+ on the stock motor with a gt35 and still drive them all the time. Its how you drive and how often you drop the hammer that makes or breaks it too.....sounds like you got some thinking to do :)

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Quite normal for vendors to quote a flow number at the choke point that's not reachable or useful. There just isn't any sort of industry standard in play.

Understandable, higher numbers = better marketing. Certainly not all that far off, not enough to call false advertising at least.

I would never pull a motor that was running just fine unless i knew for a fact the turbo would pop it. If your willing to pay to play i would say go for the hta71/blouch 1.5xt/green and tune it to put down power in the safe range and "over the limit" and push it for a while to see where you are. There are people in co that have ran upwards of 400+ on the stock motor with a gt35 and still drive them all the time. Its how you drive and how often you drop the hammer that makes or breaks it too.....sounds like you got some thinking to do :)

Dave

^ Agree with everything in this post, the emboldened text is gospel. Reiteration of the same thing I said in my last post, "obviously a big part of it is how you drive and how much you load that thing", and it cant be repeated enough. Thats what I tell everyone who asks how far they should push their stock internals.

Understandable, higher numbers = better marketing. Certainly not all that far off, not enough to call false advertising at least.

It's more that, although these compressors will push that much air, they are so inefficient at that point you wouldn't gain anything from actually doing so. There just isn't any universally accepted standard to call the flow limit at (say) 70% efficiency the capacity of the wheels. Hell, you can't even get the manufacturers that publish maps to use the same units or standard temps and pressures.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

So I like to push my car sometimes and other times just drive like a sad old person with the flow of traffic. When I take it on the highway its normally just an on ramp pull then coasting the rest but it is my DD and would like something to last me but I understand stage 3 is never something that lasts long. Parts are never perfect or made to last forever but I want something that I can enjoy for awhile.
Priorities change when car parts come into the equation

I understand stage 3 is never something that lasts long.

Nonsense. Don't get greedy. Install good parts, get a good tune, maintain your car properly and don't drive like an asshat.

Nonsense. Don't get greedy. Install good parts, get a good tune, maintain your car properly and don't drive like an asshat.

^ +100

Once again, it all comes down to how you treat the car, and only time will tell if your driving style will permit longevity.

Stage 3 for almost 50k here :)

I stand corrected ha started my slow trickle of parts for the build. BOV payment goes down friday then another couple weeks then time for injectors and so on. Thinking I'm going to go with the HTA 71 because of the smaller inlet and with it being more than capable of what I want to achieve I think I will be a happy camper.

• 3 weeks later...
Just got a reply back from Forced Performance. The HTA 71 is on back order and they have no idea on the ETA. They told me they guessed 3-4 weeks which I'm sure will turn into 6-8. I also talked to them about going to the 84mm compressor cover which they said requires tgv deletes to allow the turbo to fit. Any input if I should go with the 84mm compressor cover or not? TGV deletes a good idea?

Going to get FMS Front mount coated and annodized. Putting order in tomorrow :D

Ugh. I wouldn't waste my money on these Chinese knock-off intercoolers, much less waste more money on coating one.

Have you checked with Bryan at BNR if he has the 71HTA wheel in stock? I recall he said he is able to get them from FP to build into his own turbos. Might be a quicker solution, and he's really good on service.

I'm working with AJW Performance. Tim overthere always gives me a good deal. On the annodized core with the blue coated pipes I want and shipping he quoted me $700. I love the exhaust FMS makes, even though I know people have had trouble with their other products, and have read nothing but good about them. Plus a price you cant beat.

Kind of funny a coworker of mine runs a Perrin FMIC with Perrin intake and TBE. He kept talking game about how he has more money into his car than me and how he could beat me. I have TBE with tune from cyro and smoked him. Sad that my coworker thinks that paying premium for parts will get him to where he wants to be when equal less expensive product is on the market today.

nothing wrong with FMS. They have been proven to be reliable. More money doesn't really equal better product. Your just buying a name.

For sure some brand name products are overpriced. Reliability isn't my biggest concern in an intercooler. Any fool can make one that doesn't leak. I'm more concerned about efficiency, and what I've seen from a great many of these low-cost, no-name Chinese cores is horrible... no internal finning etc. A lot of cars have left power on the table because the charge temps out of the cooler were higher than they should have been, and the tune had to be dumbed-down to run safely.

Why spend a not inconsiderable amount of money on a high-end turbo like an FP HTA and then give up performance in order to run it with a cheap knock-off intercooler? This is quite irrational.

I'm working with AJW Performance. Tim overthere always gives me a good deal. On the annodized core with the blue coated pipes I want and shipping he quoted me $700. I love the exhaust FMS makes, even though I know people have had trouble with their other products, and have read nothing but good about them. Plus a price you cant beat.

Kind of funny a coworker of mine runs a Perrin FMIC with Perrin intake and TBE. He kept talking game about how he has more money into his car than me and how he could beat me. I have TBE with tune from cyro and smoked him. Sad that my coworker thinks that paying premium for parts will get him to where he wants to be when equal less expensive product is on the market today.

It's your car. Do what you like.

Archived