LegacyGT.com

Oil consumption diagnosis

So like many it seems I falling victim to the oil nazzis and to be fair I have 155,000+ miles on the car with the stock turbo with zero issues until 150k.

I'm not a 100 percent sure how much I'm using but it's definitely quickly approaching the quart per 1000 miles standard...I recently pulled the top mount to check the turbo outlet which was pretty clean. However, I noticed oil residue on the intercooler itself as well as the outlet of the box. The more interesting part was the fact that I found free standing oil in the intercooler outlet/beginning of the manifold. This leads me to believe I've got a problem with the turbo seals or pcv.

Can anyone with some more experience shed some light on this issue?

You can definitely try out a td04 from a 08 wrx or a vf52 09+ wrx. Wouldn't hurt at the same time many will advice a compression test and leak down.

Hopefully not a ringland failure, definitely wouldn't be surprised if it was the turbo. Did you check it for shaft play yet?

That is not bad for oil usage at that mileage.

Mine was much worse.

A little oil film in the tmic is normal, a small pool is not, but I wouldn't worry to much. Keep a eye on the oil and keep it topped off.

If you plan to keep the car start saving your money for parts.

I got tired of adding oil and put a new ej257 short block in my 05.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

eric, I have yet to check for shaft play, mainly as I don't feel like pulling the downpipe to give it a whiggle but if it comes down to it I will.

Max, where is your sense of optimism! hoping for this car will last forever with out any issues...though given the history in the last few months I should expect total catastrophe. Did you replace the block yourself or have someone do that for you? out of curiosity how much did that cost you.

I suppose I'll do a compression test and pray like my life depends on it. It's getting close to winter, I certainly don't feel like pulling an engine out to replace rings in the cold.

Here's my thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

If the car is running well, mine was, I wouldn't waste your time and money on tests.

My turbo went at 142,000 miles. It gave me plenty of warning. Had the cel p0011 and p0021 codes, then the vf40 began to whine under boost, about 1000 miles later it whistled one morning, I stopped driving the car and ordered the vf52. At 154,000 miles I got tired of adding oil every few day's and decided it was time to replace the short block on my timing.

I was using about a quart every 6-700 miles or so. I never measured or tracked it that closely. Again the engine ran fine when I pulled it out.

You can see pictures of the pistons in the thread.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Pulled the intercooler and noticed the tabs by the turbo had separated, oil stains are pretty obvious in the area. I put some JB weld on this and well see how that holds. Also still noticing oil in the intercooler outlet/intake manifold inlet.

VF40 may be on the way out, might run a compression test just to see if I'm holding compression in all cylinders. It's still pulling hard but I can definitely smell burned oil at WOT and upon exiting the car after shutdown.

Pulled the intercooler and noticed the tabs by the turbo had separated, oil stains are pretty obvious in the area. I put some JB weld on this and well see how that holds.

Here is another inexpensive and hopefully long term solution to avoid the tabs to go kaput: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bullet-proof-tmic-kits-189608.html

• Moderators
is your car stock? I've never heard of intercooler tabs separating at less than stage 2 power level...

My tabs were not perfect when I bulletproofed my TMIC prior to going stage 2 (was cobb stage 1 for a few thousand miles at the most). The tabs can definitely be affected at stock boost levels, to what extent I'm not entirely sure.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
I see it on 100,000 mile plus cars. I've seen the O ring seal hanging out of the side of the tank and the tabs were intact.

mine had around 60k miles. Mine was not failing by any means, but the tabs were moving for sure. The whole endtank on the turbo side definitely snugged up a mm or two when I pinched the tabs closed with a pair of vise grips.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I'm only at Stage 1 and blew a corner of my end tank. I could def feel air blowing out even under idle.

I was sick of the oil consumption too, so I put an oil catch can on to determine how much oil was being blown back into the intake. After about 6 weeks, there was a little over 1/2 quart caught in the can. All this was coming from the cylinder heads vent hoses.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Yup, I was pretty shocked to see this amount. Recently I haven't been seeing too much oil going in there and it's making me think now, "where's all the oil going now?". Still putting a quart of oil in every month, and hoping it's not the dreaded cracked ringland.

I'm at 115k miles, oem turbo, and stage 1. Car still runs strong, but I am noticing a little more oil consumption. Something tells me I'll be looking for a new motor and turbo in the near future.

Archived