LegacyGT.com

07 GT vs 09 3.0R - possible trade in?

I purchased an 07 GT 5EAT back in Oct 2011, love the car. I recently saw the local dealer has an 09 3.0R 5EAT (of course) with about the same miles as mine ~54k. I am considering taking it for a test drive and seeing about a possible trade in.

The turbo is great and all, but not having to worry about a turbo (though I baby it and use rotella and change frequently), possible less heat to the cabin (got a turbo blanket), but will it still have the same pep as the GT? I believe the 09 3.0R also has bilsteins and some aluminium replacing some of the previous steel parts. Thoughts?

The 3.0R didn't get Bilsteins or aluminum bits, I don't think.

It's the same as any other non-B, but with an H6.

Me? I'd consider one over a GT if modding were off the table. They are really smooth cars. The 3.6 would be MUCH better, but obviously that engine can't be had in the 4th gen from Subaru.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

A local Subaru shop owner that I trust told me that the crank in those is "glass". While this is simply word-of-mouth, I would be extremely cautious about pressurizing any STOCK H6 motor.

A local Subaru shop owner that I trust told me that the crank in those is "glass". While this is simply word-of-mouth, I would be extremely cautious about pressurizing any STOCK H6 motor.

I have been dealing with Subarus a long time, and I have never seen an H6 crank failure. I'd say your local shop owner made that up.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I recently purchased an 09 3.0R with 17k miles, i've never driven a GT but according to some of my friends that own GTs, if you want performance and mod the hell out of a legacy go with a GT but if you just want sexyness (exhaust, lowered and nice rims) and no performance headaches then a 3.0R

Sent from my GS3 on the shit network

I love my GT and the performance, but I am unsure about modding it. If I blow the turbo that may cause me to upgrade, down, up, bigger turbo, flash/tune, suspension. I guess whatever difference I would have to pay I could use to upgrade the suspension and eventually upgrade the rest of the car.

In terms of stock I know both are listed as having the same acceleration, but I see people say the H6 is smoother - which makes sense with no turbo lag. How do they compare when both are stock?

And I don't think the 09 had the navigation, but I didn't really look too hard at it. I still need to test drive it (which would probably help me decide).

The other thing being my wife has an 07 Impreza 2.5i SE which she wants to trade in for a WRX, so that might stop me from trading in my car. :)

I live in NorCal, my driving is 50/50 mountain roads and freeway, stop and go.

Can't imagine you'd be happy with the 3.0R if she's in a WRX.

Lots of people mod a GT, have no dramas, and don't talk about it. I don't think anyone who has a turbo fail or pops a piston can ever stop. :D

54k is not a lot of miles and modding is more likely to end well than not. You're also going to take a gamble on another used car, and take a bath on the trade. You may regret not putting that money into sensible mods on the car you have.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

You'll probably miss the additional 26 lb-ft of torque the turbo brings over the 6 cylinder...you'd essentially be trading in your GT for almost the exact same car with the same gas mileage, but less performance. The turbos in the 07-09 GTs are stable and don't seem to be plagued by the problems of the 05-06's- if you're keeping up with regular oil changes, it will last you a long time. There are plenty of folks here with well north of 100k on the original turbos, and a select handful have gotten to 200k.

I'd just keep the GT.

Thanks for the input everyone. I've always wanted a WRX/STI and after sitting in my wife's Impreza again, those seats and everything are pretty stiff; I'm definitely happy with my Legacy. Doesn't seem like I'll enjoy the drive quite as much with the 3.0 and I baby my car so I won't worry too much about the turbo. I guess it's time to look at a sway bar, then plan what to do next. :cool:

The turbo is great and all, but not having to worry about a turbo (though I baby it and use rotella and change frequently), possible less heat to the cabin (got a turbo blanket)......

The money lost in trading in a vehicle(you never win) will likely cover replacing your turbo.

That being all said you are only at 50k. We have a 2005 Legacy GT with nearly 150k on original turbo and no signs of any issues. We use misc brand regular dino oil every 3500 miles since brand new. We don't loose sleep over it.

The money lost in trading in a vehicle(you never win) will likely cover replacing your turbo.

That being all said you are only at 50k. We have a 2005 Legacy GT with nearly 150k on original turbo and no signs of any issues. We use misc brand regular dino oil every 3500 miles since brand new. We don't loose sleep over it.

Misc dino even?! I'm using Rotella every 3725. I think I'll be fine, regular oil changes, check/change fluids, keep up on tire pressure, take in for maintenance.

Thanks again!

Can't imagine you'd be happy with the 3.0R if she's in a WRX.

Lots of people mod a GT, have no dramas, and don't talk about it.

And some people talk to much about it :rolleyes:;):lol: & told to STFU (not necessary fahr_side) & stop repeating them self:spin::spin::spin:.

No drama on original motor or VF-40 turbo, with now over 200k . Peaking 18.5 psi of boost.:cool: stage 2+

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived