LegacyGT.com

i got a facocta ecu

So Subaru did a recall on many of their ECU's sometime a few years ago. Symptoms that i had (and still have) is cooling fans that run constantly. i had my car checked out back when I heard about this recall and they said my car was not one of the affected...

My tuner is concerned my ECU could take a s*=t whenever and wind up destroying my pretty new motor. My question is where can i source a rebuilt ECU over spending like $900+ on a bran new one?

Yea my fans constantly run and my tuner tells me its only bound to fry eventually. I've never seen nor heard of this first hand happening before but I definitely would look into spending the few hundred for a new computer. plus, those fans running all the time is noisy and obnoxious.

When I purchased my new (used) ECU, the salvage yard guaranteed it would work or I could return it for full refund, including shipping charges. The $125 I spent was a hell of a lot cheaper than new, and worked.

I'll have to be sure of a guarantee if I go that route, thanks!

When you say all the time, you mean they absolutely never turn off? How was this not addressed when you got the car?

I had this problem just a year after buying the car. The fans will run all the time when the key is in the "ON" position. Luckly my ECU was covered under the recall and they replaced it with a new one.

My wife's balls are delicious.

• 2 weeks later...

I went through this with my dealer. If they replaced the fan relay and your fans are still always on, they need to replace the ECU under the recall.

If your dealer is giving you sh*t about it, call SOA and tell them what's going on. They'll call your dealer, tell them to pull their heads out of their collective rear ends and do the recall correctly.

I'll try going through a different dealer. Pita part is that I'd have to flash it back to stock there, have them do the work, then reload my maps. Unless they could somehow give me the ecu and i can just have my tuner install it??

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'll try going through a different dealer. Pita part is that I'd have to flash it back to stock there, have them do the work, then reload my maps. Unless they could somehow give me the ecu and i can just have my tuner install it??

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

They won't do that as they have to install the ECU to satisfy the recall. :(

On drop off for the ecu replacement, I gave them explicit instructions that they are not to 'test drive' my car once the ecu replacement was complete. They could turn it on and idle it - on a cold engine start, the fans should not turn on, so there's no reason for them to drive it around. The fans not turning on is the only thing they need to make sure to it was fixed. Told them they could, at low RPM, drive it from the bay to wherever they park completed cars. I told them why, and that they would be held responsible if they went against my terms and damaged my engine in any way.

Plopped myself into my car when I went to pick it up, reflashed, and was good to go.

Oh and, you shouldn't have to reflash your car to stock as it would be a completely new ECU that they are putting in your car.

Ohhh, you're tuned with an accessport? If that's the case, then yes, un-marry/re-marry. No idea what your tune is, but when they did mine, I was running vf52/e85/740 inj. So low RPM get it from point a to point b odds were nothing catastrophic was going to happen. Hence also why I told them no test drive. They also saw me taking pictures/video of the mileage after I pulled it into the install bay. haha (had a bad experience about 10 years ago with a shop taking my SVX for a romp...) I pretty much take pictures of the odo, video of the install bay with a wall clock shot panning to the odo every time for rare instances when I bring my car in somewhere. Kinda crazy, I know.

Archived