LegacyGT.com

Decision Making - Auto LGT.

A_Yau

Thanks for the feedback once again ya'll. I calculated my expenses and other spending; came out that I have a limited budget of $10k. Is it possible to find a nice one at this price or should I move on?

I've started my hunt on the east coast (I'm also in school), so the costs will differ a bit. There are some gts for about 10 grand, but have higher miles (100k+). Not that the miles are too much of an issue, but you gotta think about maintenance things like axles, wheel bearings, timing stuff, etc. 15 grand will get me a decent gt around here (cargurus is a great site if you want to stick with a dealer and have it do the legwork for you).

FWIW, deals are everywhere. If you know your way around a wrench, you can save plenty of cash too.

I tested out a 2006 LGT 5EAT today and HOLY CRAP. Having never driven anything this fast before I was blown away. The shifting on the automatic was definitely a lot better than my 4EAT 96 Impreza, and way better than my parents 2005 V8 VW Touareg as well. I could definitely live with the Automatic version. It's still plenty fun to drive.

Exactly how I felt going from a 99 4eat Forester to the 5eat LGT. I just finished up my suspension mods, and its like a whole new car again.

We got an 05 Auto Wagon, and it's awesome. While I wouldn't MIND a manual for the fun and whatnot, commuting in the auto is fantastic and highway trips are a dream. I have no complaints whatsoever, for what it's worth. And the "sport" light in the cluster just makes me happy in my pants hahaha.

I had an auto when I lived in the bay area commuting in some crazy bay bridge traffic daily and I would have hated a manual in that stop and go. It had the "Sport" indicator in the cluster too which was fun.

Now that I'm in less stop and go - going with the manual was a no brainer! Love rowing through the gears!

I've started my hunt on the east coast (I'm also in school), so the costs will differ a bit. There are some gts for about 10 grand, but have higher miles (100k+). Not that the miles are too much of an issue, but you gotta think about maintenance things like axles, wheel bearings, timing stuff, etc. 15 grand will get me a decent gt around here (cargurus is a great site if you want to stick with a dealer and have it do the legwork for you).

FWIW, deals are everywhere. If you know your way around a wrench, you can save plenty of cash too.

Thanks for the reply. Mileage isn't an issue for me and I do have some first hand knowledge of wrenching. Hopefully I'll find one soon, I dislike taking the bus. :(

I drove past a Silver '05 LGT (not sure if it's limited or not) in Texoma, TX for less than 5 grand... it's a weird car that is in a town of like 1000 people, odd for being in farm land. Not sure of the details though, I just drove past it.

There's also a Legacy dealership up in VT somewhere along US7.. or maybe it's 22A.. I can't remember... I just remember seeing at least 20 or so Legacy's for sale.

I am a MT person and have driven quite a few MT cars. I gave up the MT for a 5EAT back in Oct when I got my 07 GT. I drive a combo of mountain roads and hiway. MT is great for the hills, but stop and go traffic it gets old. I am happy with the 5EAT, shifting could be a bit better of course and I have to up/down shift early esp when coming up to corners. Once you get used to it I don't think you'll mind the trade offs. If I'm in S# and shifting and red line I do loose boost at certain times, which I think it typical from what' I've read, but need to do more research/ask about it.

Thanks for the feedback once again ya'll. I calculated my expenses and other spending; came out that I have a limited budget of $10k. Is it possible to find a nice one at this price or should I move on?

I told my dealer that unless he sold me my car everything included (Taxes, registration, inspection, ect...) for under $10K I wouldn't pull the trigger. That's what I asked for and that's what I got, and I even had some left to gas it up and stop at McD's too......

Archived