LegacyGT.com

Franks recommended mods to ensure long troubble free life.

I notice all of a 1.5 MPG drop(22.5 winter vs 24MPG summer) based on car computer in my wife's 05 LGT winter vs summer with her idling. She lets it idle 5-10 mins for warmup on cold winter days for comfort and defrost/safety in our driveway. She never lets it idle down.

Winter blends gas also kills mileage. I drop about 1 MPG just due to the winter blend swap, and I'm in CA with the car parked in a garage.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I try to let the car idle until the blue light is off. then i stay below 3k rpm until its is up to full temp.

I don't let it idle. I start the car, buckle up, then go. I typically stay out of boost until its up to temp, but otherwise no special procedure.

Idling has no real advantage or safety factor over driving normally while cold, unless you live in subzero climates.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I don't let it idle. I start the car, buckle up, then go. I typically stay out of boost until its up to temp, but otherwise no special procedure.

Idling has no real advantage or safety factor over driving normally while cold, unless you live in subzero climates.

other than letting the engine bay reach thermal equillibrium and ensure that at-temperature oil has made its way through the turbo, no not really.

lol

warm up start up and drive off try not to rev above 2500.

dont do any major reving untill at leas first line on temp gauge is reached.

for cool down for normal driving you can shut down right away.

after a pull through all the gears let it cool dow for about a 2-3min this can include light throttle driving as the cool down time. since the cars beyond stock will make more heat they should have a bit of time to cool down. since the original design of the cooling system was ment for stock power levels.

yes subaru does say that the coolant is still circulated trough the turbo after the engine is off but this may be not enough after a sever beating.

at 1/4 mile track the decel where no fuel is going into the engine realy cools it down when using ngine braking, then gental return road ticket booth and then to the line up or parking spot will be enough to cool the turbo plenty.

1/4 mile pull and shut off the engine at 150 mph is not a good idea for example.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

other than letting the engine bay reach thermal equillibrium and ensure that at-temperature oil has made its way through the turbo, no not really.

:rolleyes: You are joking, right?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Well living in GA, I pretty much just get in and go, Summer and Winter. No warm up idle time. I dont abuse the hell out of it, if the engine is cold but I have no problem pushing full boost on the way to work occasionally if it isnt completely warmed up.

As far as the cool off time. The turbo is water cooled so I believe even under hard driving no cool off time is required. That coolant tank is pretty much keep water flowing on it cooling it off. I know that on turbos that arent water cooled it is best to have cool down time for the turbo because oil does not absorb and release heat as good as coolant.

:confused:

Wait. You mean you were being serious!?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ya I seriously try to take care of the car :lol:

As much as I do try to let the car warm up, half the time I find myself in a hurry and don't let it warm up :/

You aren't doing anything to take care of the car by letting it idle when cold. Except, of course, increasing the chance of oil dilution with fuel as you force the car to remain colder, for longer than necessary. In fact, letting the car idle while cold is probably worse for your car than just driving it easily for a few minutes right after it starts, for just that reason.

And cold oil running through the turbo is not an issue. Whether you move the car or not, the turbo still spins in cold oil. So long as there is oil pressure, the turbo is safe for normal driving almost regardless of oil temp (so long as you use an appropriate oil grade for the environmental conditions).

"Thermal equilibrium" is also not something you need to wait for before moving the car. I'm not even sure why you'd think that were necessary.

The engineers who design cars, especially cars renowned for their performance in cold/snowy climates, don't overlook things like this.

Aww, I'd have loved to hear what kind of explanation you had to justify "taking care of your car" means making sure the engine bay is in "thermal equilibrium", and that "at-temperature oil makes it through the turbo" before you move it. Darn.

Meanwhile, just keep in mind that the very thing you do to help improve the health of your car, further exposes you to fuel blow-by induced oil contamination.

In hIgh school I did an internishio at a local Goodyear.

On one afternoon a woman pulled in, in an older caravan mid 90's body. Complaining that her engine was recently louder than before, and her husband told her to take it in.

I started the van to pull it in and it sounded like a soup spoon being whooshed around in a pot.

Fast Forward: pop hood dip stick is broken off in tube cant be pulled out to check.

Put car in air... Open drain plug, NOT ONE DROP OF OIL CAME OUT!!!

Service Manager told the lady explained that likely the motor is a done, what do you want to do?

We filled it up with 4 quarts of lucas and 1 qt of 10w30 motor. Motor started right up the noise mellowed. She paid for an oil change and was then back like 4000 miles later for a battery. motor was running fine.

Still blows my mind

Aww, I'd have loved to hear what kind of explanation you had to justify "taking care of your car" means making sure the engine bay is in "thermal equilibrium", and that "at-temperature oil makes it through the turbo" before you move it. Darn.

Meanwhile, just keep in mind that the very thing you do to help improve the health of your car, further exposes you to fuel blow-by induced oil contamination.

lol @ mods that delete my posts. this forum is ridiculous

lol

good to know that idling my car is bad for it. i bet your engineering degree helped you determine that.

lol

good to know that idling my car is bad for it. i bet your engineering degree helped you determine that.

Not to seem like a dick but it probably did. :lol: Us engineers have to know everything about everything to graduate.

"Trust me, I'm an engineer!"

I have yet to see a post by BAC that I dont agree with.

Not to seem like a dick but it probably did. :lol: Us engineers have to know everything about everything to graduate.

"Trust me, I'm an engineer!"

I have yet to see a post by BAC that I dont agree with.

:lol:

This must be why US car companies fail.

lol

:lol:

This must be why US car companies fail.

I feel like if automotive engineers had all the power in the world to make whatever car they want all cars on the street would probably look something like this...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-21E79HRLRYo/TgAhHmJ9WRI/AAAAAAAAACs/_hkilKrbzjY/s1600/mercedes_2006-McLaren-MP4-21-Formula-1-Car-001_1.jpg

and vans/yoder toters would look like...

http://id3486.securedata.net/fprado/armorsite/Abrams_Pics/M1A1-Abrams-USMC-01.jpg

Its those damn business men and population that limit our craftiness. :lol:

Archived