LegacyGT.com

Franks recommended mods to ensure long troubble free life.

just for follow up .. using no bypass filters on my subaru and the half donez others i work on and have not driven over any crankshafts thus far :)

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
good to hear. which filter would u suggest? more details please! the idea of the bypass opening makes me cringe.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

any of the after market filters for a 99 legacy they are twice the size. i think thhe date range says 97-04 legacy

i have used fram and motormaster and parts master. there all pretty much the same construction.

i would install a gauge tho i had one filter degrade and block its self when i was running thick oils and accidentally revved the cold engine because of the throttle relearn when starting the buckaru after having the battery disconnected. ( this is the time when you crank and crank your car doesnt start when the battery or ecm is reset . but the buckaru being megasquirt it was able to start but the throttle was on its way to 100% )

i have never seen this issue again but the oil pressure started geting lower and lower even if i brought up the rpms it would stay steady. changed the filter and it was back up to normal. but in that case if the filter had a bypass and degraded it would of simply bypassed for he rest of the oci and i would of not known.

One reason its good to warm up on the road is so that the whole car gets up to temperature, not just the radiator water.

This is especially true for automatics. Thinking that you car is good because the radiator is at temperature and proceeding to beat on a stone-cold automatic isn't going to do wonders for your car.

Frank, got a part number of a non-bypass oil filter you're using?

I've used the Puralator 14460 versions (both the regular cheap one and the PureOne nifty ones) for eons in my N/A Subaru cars. They fit right on the LGT and are wider/taller, more filtration area.

The 14460 lists NOT having an anti-drain back valve, is this what you actually mean?? The 14460 lists a 20-25 psi "relief valve"...

The 06 LGT lists that a Pure 14612 filter be used, which has a 14-18 psi relief valve spec. These are the tiny filters that I just can't see how they are werf a sheet when something bigger fits.

My engine builder strongly recommends the Wix 51334, which has a much lower bypass valve pressure range of 8-11 psi

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51334

Although, I thought a 21 micron filtration spec on the Wix is pretty huge. I thought the OEM Subaru filters were ~10 micron.

here is a biggie wix 57406 ( looks like 5 micron as wix doesnt state but it donaldson says 5 )

normal size wix 51839 ( 21 micron )

Whatever you do don't drive in an oxygen-less environment because all metal would instantly weld due to a lack of oxidation. Also the Earth's crust would crumble, and all living cells would explode :) Thanks Buzzfeed video

so if i cut two peices of metal in a vacuum and palced them together they would fuse together ? :)

here is a biggie wix 57406 ( looks like 5 micron as wix doesnt state but it donaldson says 5 )

normal size wix 51839 ( 21 micron )

Whoa, those are huge. Well, not as huge as the one on my Powerstroke diesel, but...

Anyways, those two you listed have much larger gasket diameters than the normal Subie filters. So did you fab up a spacer that fits the bigger ones? Or are those two 57406 and 51839 for the Buick 3.8?? :lol:

^ well its kind of strange i get my filters from canadian tire ( Canadian store i guess similar to Menard's) they have Motormaster filters. and the one listed for a 99 legacy i cut open and has no bypass valve. and that's what i use. from searching on the wix and fram websites it shows the 99 legacy to have the same filter as a 05 lgt.

the gm's including my 3.8 have the bypass in the filter adapter not in the filter its self. so i blocked it by threading in a npt plug.

the filters im using in the subarus are of identical construction to the one for my gm other than the thread size.

so at this point i'm not sure if its the motormaster filter is not meeting the specs for subaru to have a bypass or what is the exact deal here. i never looked much further into it untill you brought it up. and those two filters seem to be the only m20 thread filters that are non bypass according to their listings.

From what I have been reading, the hot setup is an RX-8 filter that fits but is larger and has the same blowoff valve pressure as the Subaru one. I would never run an engine without a filter bypass - dirty oil is bad, no oil is fatal.

If you intend to run without a filter bypass, you should stick to 0W-30 oil so cold starts do not crush the filter element (leaving no symptoms until the inevitable as bits of filter clog the bearings). All oils, even the 0W-30 viscosity, are still too viscous at startup in the cold. 0W-XX oils are only available as synthetics and not everyone makes them.

British Leyland had one solution - a bypass located in the block with a switch for an idiot light that showed when the bypass was open. That was your cue to change the oil regardless of the specified maintenance schedule. It would first come on for a cold start then go out but would stay on for progressively longer times as the situation got worse.

^ well as i stated i highly recomend installing an oil pressure gauge .. since the gauge is after the filter you see the pressure.

i ran all sorts of viscosity of oils and haven't had a problem other than that one time. and it was instantly visible on the gauge.

for cold start up there is oil in the system and only a tiny bit is needed as there is no excess of heat the oil is acting like grease on the bearings.

i will never run with a bypass ever again on any engine. just think 80-90 psi coming out of the pump ..oilfilter bypass 25 psi .. oil is thicker and would be more easy for particals to exist in suspension of the oil and to be sucked up by the oil pump pickup. and after almost 80 000 km my bearings still looks like brand new.. when i had the bypass before in a week they were scored up. just too many places for crap to hide..

^ yes and that's perfectly fine... but in the cases that a tiny piece of metal decides to break somewhere .. everything is then thrown around and around. and is hopefully eventually caught by the oil filter .. after the bearings are scored.

and you must know of a few persons who has had a turbo fail witch in turn damaged the entire long block? that would of been prevented by a non bypass filter.

In hIgh school I did an internishio at a local Goodyear.

On one afternoon a woman pulled in, in an older caravan mid 90's body. Complaining that her engine was recently louder than before, and her husband told her to take it in.

I started the van to pull it in and it sounded like a soup spoon being whooshed around in a pot.

Fast Forward: pop hood dip stick is broken off in tube cant be pulled out to check.

Put car in air... Open drain plug, NOT ONE DROP OF OIL CAME OUT!!!

Service Manager told the lady explained that likely the motor is a done, what do you want to do?

We filled it up with 4 quarts of lucas and 1 qt of 10w30 motor. Motor started right up the noise mellowed. She paid for an oil change and was then back like 4000 miles later for a battery. motor was running fine.

Still blows my mind

Only because it was bumped....

Back in school we were doing a car-bash and had a 90s caravan donated to us. To prep the car we always drain the fluids and then for fun we run the car with no fluids to see how long it can go and to use up all the gas. In this case that dang caravan ran for what must be 15-30 minutes at WOT with no coolant/oil and with us throwing sand in the intake. Only car we could never actually kill or sieze the motor.

I want to try this, but can't seem to find this part available anywhere online :(

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Archived