LegacyGT.com

Couple of turbo swap questions

• Moderators
I think in that case don't bother with fuel mods ATM, just save your pennies. Get the 16G + downpipe + up pipe. I would throw the tranny cooler on now as well, they're cheap. OTS tune and you could call it a day.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I've finally decided on

BNR16G

Invidia Catted DP

GrimmSpeed UP

Infamous filtered oil line kit (to keep the turbo warranty)

Im assuming I am going to need to purchase all new gaskets and hardware. Here's what I have so far

Turbo to DP gasket

UP to Turbo gasket

Header to UP gasket

3 inch DP to stock CBE adapter (do you need gaskets on either side of the adapter or does the adapter itself do the job of the gasket?)

Also was wondering if I should order the "Subaru downpipe and turbo hardware kit"?

Also if there's anything else I need to install the turbo, up and down pipes that I may have overlooked feel free to let me know

3 inch DP to stock CBE adapter (do you need gaskets on either side of the adapter or does the adapter itself do the job of the gasket?)

Also was wondering if I should order the "Subaru downpipe and turbo hardware kit"?

I used the Grimmspeed 3" to 2.5 adapter and used a standard Grimmspeed 3" exhaust gasket on the DP side and the factory donut gasket on the other (Mid side). Sealed nicely and the GS piece includes the hardware to replace the spring bolts.

I had just had the turbo replaced under warranty a couple thousand miles before doing UP/DP and so my bolts were all new. I think that kit is worth it - even my new hardware needed some love (asshats @ the dealership who did the warranty replacement cross threaded one of the DP bolts into the turbo :spin: )

Don't forget Anti-Seize!

get a metal grimmspeed 3" gasket for the downpipe adapter and one of the doughnut flanges from subaru.

If you want to spend a couple more bucks, you can get a CNT catted dp for a little more than the Invidia at the expense of the extra quality of the Invidia (CNT is just fine and I have one on my car, but again do research to see if they still are putting out quality).

I doubt you need the downpipe to turbo hardware kit.

Are you going for power or just an upgrade? Here is a good list for you. I bought all this for around 2k. I got a 20g tho. Very good turbo have had it for over 2k miles and very good. Turbo even comes with braided oil lines.

I think a 16g is to small for these car's and a waist of an upgrade, unless you just want a better turbo than a vf40.

Kinugawa 18G Turbo-725( Everything you need to install Directly)

Gimmicks 3" CBE-379

Grimmspeed Catless UP-79

CNT Catless DP-162

DW740cc Injectors-350

DW65 FP-125

Grimmspeed EBCS-89

E-tune-175

Total- 2084.

Yo wont be disappointed.

Yeah big power isn't immediately on the menu for right now, my VF40 is in the process of crapping out so I am just trying to build her back up reliably. I have to drive from New York to Colorado in 2 months so I didn't want to start messing with the fueling and such just yet. So I decided to go with the 16g so I can run it on a conservative tune on the stock components until I am settled in Colorado and the winter is over.

My in progress setup

IPR TMIC

Vf-52 turbo

Grimspeed ebcs

New tune on stock fueling (over basic stage 2)

CNT catted dp

Invidia catless up

Magnaflow CB exhaust

Upgraded oil lines

Have most or in the process of getting the parts. Debating on a fuel mods but see no need with my goal of 275-280 whp

Pretty reasonable budget to build a wagon that is a ton of fun to drive.

Do i need a boost controller before i get tuned or can they adjust the boost level through the ECU?

The ECU controls boost via the electrical boost control solenoid which in turn operates the mechanical wastegate actuator. If you want to upgrade to a 3-port BCS over the factory 2-port item, put that on when the car is tuned. Change it, and boost control has to be done over.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

My in progress setup

IPR TMIC

Vf-52 turbo

Grimspeed ebcs

New tune on stock fueling (over basic stage 2)

CNT catted dp

Invidia catless up

Magnaflow CB exhaust

Upgraded oil lines

Have most or in the process of getting the parts. Debating on a fuel mods but see no need with my goal of 275-280 whp

Pretty reasonable budget to build a wagon that is a ton of fun to drive.

Sounds a lot like Max Capacity's setup.

I'd consider running the stock wagon exhaust though. Magnaflow definitely has drone in the wagon from my research. You could use that $600 for a clutch kit :)

He is getting 280 whp with his VF52, IPR, Invidia catted up/down, stock fuel, stock cat-back.

Already have a spec stage 2 with flywheel and tsk snout kit. I modeled it pretty much right along the lines of his build because it is exactly what I am looking for. Also have everything done except the turbo and oil lines. Ordering the oil lines sometime this week along with the 3 port EBCS. Debating on a used turbo from nasioc or sucking up and buying new.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to installing the BNR16g this weekend. Put in the Invidia Catted DP, and GrimmSpeed Catless UP on also!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/17/yhe3a7e5.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/17/6uqujuqy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/17/utumatu4.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/17/peqe6une.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/17/a6ara5a4.jpg

Archived