LegacyGT.com

I got rear ended today

I was traveling on I-5 and a car rear ended me. The damage wasn't any significant. My rear bumper was a hole, couple of dents and some scratch marks. My front bumper also suffered some scratches as my car was pushed forward to another car. The other owner and I exchanged information. Visually, my car doesn't look so bad but I am worried about the mechanical parts in my car. Since most of the damages are at the rear, I was wondering what kind of damage could there be done. Also, I am going out of town tonight and I will be driving my car, I was wondering if it is wise to drive my car tonight. :confused:

Sounds minor. but... worst case scenario is you twisted your body/subframe and car tracks off center. after all body work is done make sure it gets an alignment.

and it should be ok to drive as long as you arent leaking any fluids and it isnt pulling to one side bad.

Before your leave pay close attention to see if your car pulls off center or has any strange vibrations while driving. If the car is driving normally and you aren't leaking fluids like he ^^^ said, it is probably just cosmetic damage.

20120808_153715.thumb.jpg.0b4411a30da8097e32956b11cd6e98dc.jpg

Here is the damage. Doesn't look too serious I presume.

There is one more picture that I couldn't upload. It is a picture from inside the trunk. Seems like the accident has knocked some of the carpet in the trunk out of place. Not sure if that means anything.

20120808_153658.thumb.jpg.c5eadd58179ad1deacb79a098b51131b.jpg

That was sarcasm there's no such thing as rear bumper control arms.

Just take it to a body shop and you'll be fine.

Getting a new bumper+paint is at worst $1k. If they can pop out that bad dent it should be less.

lol

• 2 months later...
[ATTACH]125258[/ATTACH][ATTACH]125259[/ATTACH]

Here is the damage. Doesn't look too serious I presume.

There is one more picture that I couldn't upload. It is a picture from inside the trunk. Seems like the accident has knocked some of the carpet in the trunk out of place. Not sure if that means anything.

What was the outcome on the bumper? Did they fix that rear bumper cover or replace it? Total bill? I got rear ended today on I25, and my bumper looks worse than that, but similar.

That was sarcasm there's no such thing as rear bumper control arms.

Just take it to a body shop and you'll be fine.

Getting a new bumper+paint is at worst $1k. If they can pop out that bad dent it should be less.

Make sure they check to see if you lost any blinker fluid in the accident though!

Glad you're ok, looks pretty darn minor, "that should buff right out".

Definitely check for damage to the muffler bearings, as a rear-ender can cause negative pressure to build up in the exhaust housing of the mufflers, which creates pressure and causes excess wear to the mufflers and their bearings.

Wait wait, I didn't think the muffler bearings were servicable on the 4th gen LGT.....shouldn't the mufflers themselves be replaced instead?

They're not typically serviceable because its a closed system. But if something opens the system, such as a crack resulting from a rear end collision, they should be adjusted accordingly. I think the FSM calls for at least a lubrication of the bearings, if not a full blown replacement when the system is opened.
It's cool; I'm with the band

That'll buff right out.

I'd be more worried about the whiplash in your neck. Man I'm surprised your even able to drive the car after that kind of a impact.

BTW we had sloppy joes for diner last night.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Effing Seattle drivers right?!?! Sorry to hear about your bad luck but if the trunk closes, your airbags didn't go off, and the exhaust isn't harmed (a quick visual and maybe try shake it and see if anything moves more than normal) the damage appears to me more of a hit to the pride than the car.

Archived