LegacyGT.com

Odd Knocking noise

I was driving down the road and pulled off quick to do a u-turn. As I came to a stop, I heard three loud knocks coming from the rear. Then, for the next few miles, I would hear speed-dependent knocking when ever I let off the gas. Then, it suddenly disappeared and I thought I had picked up a rock in tread. (I had pulled over, nothing seemed loose or out of order..did check for rocks but didnt find any). Then about 75 miles later, I made a right turn and the knocking came back. This time, it was when I hit the brake. Is this a brake problem or something bigger? Both times, the noise only happened if I was going straight. If I cranked the wheel either way, or went around a curve, it went away. This is on a 05 2.5i. Thoughts?

A definite knock...corresponds to speed yet intermittent. Drove the car tonight and was fine yet my wife said she heard it on the way to work...she hit the brakes at highway speed and it started. Do these cars have separate parking shoes or is the brake integral to the caliper?

A definite knock...corresponds to speed yet intermittent. Drove the car tonight and was fine yet my wife said she heard it on the way to work...she hit the brakes at highway speed and it started. Do these cars have separate parking shoes or is the brake integral to the caliper?

I'm not sure what you're asking but the parking brake does not actuate the caliper/pads.

lol

I was asking how the parking brake is set up. On my Jeep, the p.b. is set up like a mini drum brake on the inside of the rotor. On my old Lincoln and a couple of other cars, the pb was part of the caliper and a lever locked the piston in place. Im assuming its set up llike my Jeep then?

I was asking how the parking brake is set up. On my Jeep, the p.b. is set up like a mini drum brake on the inside of the rotor. On my old Lincoln and a couple of other cars, the pb was part of the caliper and a lever locked the piston in place. Im assuming its set up llike my Jeep then?

Wow, jeep does that that stupid thing too.

You should have the noise checked out or if you can check the brakes out yourself.

Has any maintance been done lately ? Brakes, suspension ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If your going to remove the caliper and rotor, yo'll need a 14mm socket and a 6" extension for the rear caliper bolts and two 8mmx1.25 bolts to remove the rotor from the hub.

BTW the Hub is the bearing assembly, just in case you wanted to know.

The front calipers are 17mm sockets.

Use anti-seize compound on all the nuts and bolts, even lug nuts when you re-assemble.

Oh I see yours is a 2.5i but the basic stuff should be the same.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Ok, so I got under it today. Brakes looked great, no play in any of the wheels. Most of the bushings looked great too except the control arm to body mounts. Rubber looks a little iffy.Both sides look the same. Are they replaceable or is it the whole arm? Would that have made the knocking noise I was getting?

On an unrelated note, I had a freakish thing happen...both headlight bulbs blew simultaneously on the subie. Never had that happen before. I automatically started looking at fuses, relays and wiring since the possibility of that happening is so small...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/thom1048/2012-08-11_14-51-21_944.jpg

Did you jack the car up and grab and jerk the control arms to see if there was any play? I dont think there is supposed to be any play in it. So any kinds of bumps or turns should make the noise from the worn out mounts.

• I Donated

Sounds like a problem I had not too long ago....

It was my rear diff. The pin that holds the gears together fell half way out and was knocking inside.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Yup, jacked all four corners up. Tugged on each wheel, then removed the wheel and tugged on the various suspension components. Got zero play in any direction from anything.

Broknindarkagain, was your noise intermittent? Drove the car about 90 miles on Friday and the noise was only apparent for about 5. When looking over the car, I spun each wheel but I couldn't recreate it. I pray its not the diff...know it won't be a cheap repair.

Archived