LegacyGT.com

Forgot to ask -- is the acceleration bucking normal on GT?

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the only thing I was not happy with regarding the drivetrain during my test drive was some mild "bucking" during moderate acceleration at RPMs below 3k or so. I found that the USA Today article mentions the same: "But the turbo four vibrates remarkably at idle, cackles and grumbles at low speed instead of whirs and sings, and stutters and jerks during moderate acceleration. The hesitancy isn't evident during easy or full-on acceleration in the turbo four, nor present at all in the six-cylinder engine, which is smoother generally." Is this a common thing with the '05 GT manual?

There have been people reporting some mild hesitation at lower RPMs but certainly not bucking. Is this the first Subaru you've driven? Compared to non-AWD vehicles, there is typically more drivetrain lash due to the higher number of components. It requires a bit more concious shifting and clutching to keep things going smoothly. Ken

This was definitely mild bucking/jerking from about 1500 - 3k RPM under moderate acceleration. Stuttering (like the USA Today writer says) might be a better term. I wouldn't call it hesitation because that implies to me a one-time occurence during acceleration. I will try another GT or two this weekend.

I'm going to say it's probably more the driver than the car if you're driving a manual. I can reproduce it in other Subaru cars if I'm trying hard enough, but it's easy to make the Subaru cars fairly smooth.

Hmm... I wonder if it's some sort of "throttle hang" that's being done to make emissions. My Ford Contour does that, as do BMW 3-series. Seemingly randomly, the throttle will sort of "stick" holding revs at the point they were at for like 1 second. For example, if I go to shift at 3500, I push the clutch in and lift off the gas... but the revs stay at 3500 for about a second before dropping down. It's "normal" behavior for those cars, although I can't stand it. Gad... I hope that's not it, I hate that syndrome. :evil:

If you owners notice that behavior that Tom is mentioning, complain loudly to your dealer and SoA rep. There may be a possibility that a ECU reflash could cure it, so the more people that complain about it, the better the chance of that happening.

I would say that you might see some "rubberbanding" with a turbo vehicle. Building boost sometimes isn't the smoothest of things but it shouldn't be that bad. Shouldn't be too noticable. i will be disappointed if my car does this. I know that my WRX does this and I have learned to become annoyed with it.

[quote name='racerdave']Hmm... I wonder if it's some sort of "throttle hang" that's being done to make emissions. My Ford Contour does that, as do BMW 3-series. Seemingly randomly, the throttle will sort of "stick" holding revs at the point they were at for like 1 second. For example, if I go to shift at 3500, I push the clutch in and lift off the gas... but the revs stay at 3500 for about a second before dropping down. It's "normal" behavior for those cars, although I can't stand it. Gad... I hope that's not it, I hate that syndrome. :evil:[/quote] The newer Accord V6 6MT's do that also, or something like that. They'll apparently drop down to the revs you'd be at in the next gear. Sudden changes in throttle can cause huge spewage of emissions, so creative use of the electronic throttle control to help with that seems to be getting more common. From what I hear, automatics are actually a ton easier for emissions since they drive smoother and have more or less a constant load instead of on/off throttling like you would with a manual during shifts. Steve

[quote name='B4_Maniac']No bucking in mine. Power delivery is smooth and comanding.[/quote] Same here with mine. Nothing like a stutter or anything like that. The car you had may have had something wrong with it. I test drove a wrx back in April with stuttering. The salesman had just transitioned from the service department to sales and he flagged some type of problem right away. Brought it back and let me drive another one.

[quote]I know that my WRX does this and I have learned to become annoyed with it.[/quote] If I remember correctly, my stock WRX behaved similarly. But, it has been a long time since I drove a stock WRX so I will have to take the GT out and see if I can refresh my memory. And, I reiterate, it is subtle. Not something a passenger is likely to notice. Tom

[quote name='WRXTom']Mine does it. It did not show up until the car had some mileage on it. I would describe it more as a surging, usually mild, during acceleration. Tom[/quote] Mine does it that way too. It is subtle but definitely present. 1300 km on the odo.

Howdy Folks, I have not done a full write up on my GT Ltd Wagon 5EAT, but I do experience a mild stutter/flutter when mildly accelerating between the RPM's of 2250 and 2750 mainly. I was wondering if it was dealer gas (low octane), and have ran through two tanks of 92 octane. It seems to have improved as I am at 850 miles. I was going to have it looked at when I take the car in for my first oil change at 1250 to 1500 miles. As stated by DrGT it is "mild but definitely present". It does not hinder the performance, as you still feel the engine pull. Sube555, it is not driver related. This is an automatic. I was wondering if it would work its way out? I was also wondering about the ECU reflash option. How does one go about getting the reflash? J.R.

Complain to your dealer about it. If you can reproduce it, get a tech to ride with you to "prove" it. Tell the dealer you want it fixed. If they do nothing, complain to SoA directly. They will need to develop a fix for it (if they can). From reading RX-8 boards (I car I loved but grudgingly admit is too small for my needs), it took those kinds of complaints about driveability glitches and bad mileage, and then Mazda tweaked the ECU and made it available for the dealers to perform when cars came in for service. I suspect it'd work the same way here.

My car does this when it is in 1st gear and I am in a parking lot at low speeds. I'll have my left foot off the clutch while giving a little gas to keep costant speed, but it does buck just a little bit. I think it will go away as everything wears in fully.

Archived