LegacyGT.com

Safe boost level for stock turbo with PW TMIC

DerekDaniel

DD - I too prefer the high quality parts, and sounds like you're on the right track. Your first couple posts did confuse me, but I get where you are going now. My apologies if I misunderstood and came off condescending after reading you went PW, Inlet, EBCS, and CBE and were going for max boost on a stage 1 VF40 build.

I've heard really good things about the Invidia stuff, and agree with MSprank on the Cobb DP regarding the 2.5 taper (unless you plan on the stock mid/y cans for the foreseeable future). I went TurboXS full 3" catted for my DP, which has great welds and is a nice piece, (although my local Subaru performance mechanic isn't real keen on their flanges vs. Invidia or Cobb) and will mate it to their upcoming CBE and ditch my 3" to 2.5 adapter.

I'll probably go with the PW as well (although I'm anxious to see the Grimmspeed piece as I doubt I'll go with a Turbo that will really ever require the massive core). I spent months researching and compiling parts for my stage 2 build, and haven't skimped on quality (Grimmspeed, TurboXS, AVO throughout). I'm huge on quality/fit/finish and hope to only have to buy parts once as long as I'm doing it right!

Its all good brotha man. I hold no grudges. I like to hear different perspectives, because I may have neglected an area during my research or just due to plain ignorance. All ideas help in discerning future mods, and also what not to do, as long as they are contributing.:)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Invidia DP is 3" to the flange. You can fit an adapter (Invidia sells themselves) to fit a 2.5" midpipes. This is a smart move as it leaves the option of going up to a 3" midpipe later with no restrictive 'neck'. The Cobb is therefore less 'future-proof'.

Yes, the Invidia is a bellmouth design with a short divorcing plate to separate turbine and wastegate flow going into that bellmouth.

At stage 2 I doubt you could measure any difference between a 2.5" or 3" midpipe. If you go up to a typical TD05 turbo the 3" might be worthwhile. With a TD06 or larger you really need a full 3" exhaust.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Don't go there. This is like iPhone vs. Android... :D
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Ok PW is installed what PITA!!!!!!!!! mounting brackets werent lining up had to put IC on Bracket, then bend it to get it to align on both sides.

The bracket that gets extended on the drivers side nearly tore my brake fluid res tank up and off and is resting uncomfortably close to it now. Every thing is zip tied and clamped. Very Nice system once installed though.

If you have an SPT heat-shield installed with spacers over the oem one remove as it will impede the bracket on that side, and you wont be able to bend it in that direction to get it to fit.

I also lost two bolts to my engine bay I am hoping and praying they fallout and dont tear anything up or cause false knock!

woo now I am waiting on new map praying all is well And i didnt mess anything up in the process

Yeah man those brackets and the ic did not just drop into place for the bolts,

ah yeah just my luck the hoses were no problem. but brackets are more important just dont IC want that thing bouncing around in there.

I even hit the bracket with a hammer at on point.

Until I decided to bolt the IC to it and use as leverage to bend the bracket that way:)

Ahhh, tomorrow I put the hood scoop on: that system is all pretty much prepped, All I have to do is put bolts on the old diverter plate;

I even got lock-tite for em.

This install better not kick my a@@ during install :eek:

the bracket that attaches to the tranny has 1 bolts, the top one should line up, the bottom one needs washers since the 5mt tranny has different spacing, and thats what the bracket was designed around. use washers to fill the gap but make sure the top bolt is is in. also, of course, you remove the oem bracket thats there...

you are certainly making it sound like a bigger problem than it actually is.

IMHO the turbos LGT owners tend to run are far too small to benefit from a divorced wastegate down pipe. Let the flaming begin. Lol.

Ok I guess cobb it is since it will taper to the 2.5" mid I have now and hopefully mate up with it good. Plus I probably wont ever mod my car to truly need a 3" mid-pipe.

I Might stop modding after the down-pipe. If I continue I may add better injectors (if they will help with supporting mods) or another relatively decent mod for some gains. I don't know if an up-pipe or some other bolt on would be good for more power at that point, and possibly biggeer turbo, but I would love to use the stock turbo for another 100K :woowoo:

the bracket that attaches to the tranny has 1 bolts, the top one should line up, the bottom one needs washers since the 5mt tranny has different spacing, and thats what the bracket was designed around. use washers to fill the gap but make sure the top bolt is is in. also, of course, you remove the oem bracket thats there...

you are certainly making it sound like a bigger problem than it actually is.

No sir not a bigger problem than it was. It was not a vertical alignment issue but rather a horizontal alignment issue from left and right brackets to actual intercooler. Not to mention the brake fluid res tank hindering the drivers side bracket from being moved or adjusted any further to the right.

When I had removed oem mount and then installed all PW brackets in appropriate locations. I went to place the IC on them, and when the bracket on the left side was lined up, the bracket on the right side was like two inches to the right past the drivers side (extended oem)bracket holes. Therefore I had to push the bracket by the turbo to the left to allow for alignment. I even tried to see if it would line up without the extension plate = No go. So yeah man I guess maybe I got a jacked up bracket for different year or something. Believe me I was :eek: surprised to see the bracket holes and IC holes not line up nice and neat. I checked to see if I installed them wrong, well now its impossible to put em in the wrong place, Unless you are on LSD.

Here are the pics after install. One is of complete setup, and then there are pics of left and right brackets and close ups of each. Notice bracket on drivers side is touching the brake fluid res:spin: I just hope this does not eventually rub a hole through it :eek: hold on having problem uploading pix said I need admin token???:confused: give me a bit to figure this out.

Ok Gents here are the google doc links to PW pics after install complete system and brackets and close up of brackets.

PW TMIC Complete view: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_juAcEqRlEfOWN5UDNienY3V1U

PW Bracket complete view turbo side: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_juAcEqRlEfUnoyR3ZWSkdFaTA

Pw Bracket turbo side different angle: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_juAcEqRlEfRFpHMHB1YjRqa2M

PW Bracket drivers side full view: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_juAcEqRlEfSEpWbHF5S1hJdTA

PW drivers side bracket extension: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_juAcEqRlEfck1NQXhYNE5pR0k

This is the one that worries me!!!!!!

PW bracket rubbing on Brake fluid res: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_juAcEqRlEfMmxZcGh3YmlZSEE

Please inspect to see if maybe I was on LSD and dyslexically installed a bracket. Does anything look funky??

Archived