LegacyGT.com

Paddle Shifters on 05-07's???

Akuma,

i noticed your gas gauge on your videos from youtube. on the second one the red ring around the gauge is flashing. is that a normal factory setting or did you change that??

(im new to subies and looking into my first one. Just doing some research)

I'm not sure if it's stock or flashed like that but ever since I owned the car it flashes the red ring as well as turn on the gas light to just say what the hell are you doing get some damn gas.

adhonores - thank you for that picture. I was almost certain that the dash was different in the 08's and that confirms that. Also when you do your paddles can you take pictures of the contact points on the lower Dash panel. I was thinking of switching to an 08 Lower dash piece and since the 08 upper dash is different I need to know if the contact points(piece that pushes into the dash) is the same size contact point as the 05's. Reason for me possibly doing this is that the fact the 05 Lower dash piece where the column cover slides into is a tad small for the 08 Column cover since it is much bulkier than the 05 column cover. The contact points should be underneath the Wood trim that you have.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ordered the Steering wheel controls and just waiting on Subaru to get and ship. Once they get here it is pretty much plug and play from there. Well after I solder the Green and white clips to the right wires. Should only take about an hour or so if that.

I'm not sure if it's stock or flashed like that but ever since I owned the car it flashes the red ring as well as turn on the gas light to just say what the hell are you doing get some damn gas.

i like that, its kinda fancy haha. i work at a Subaru dealer & we've got an 08 legacy 3.0r with the same cluster that im looking at, but i never have noticed if it flashes with low gas.

adhonores - thank you for that picture. I was almost certain that the dash was different in the 08's and that confirms that. Also when you do your paddles can you take pictures of the contact points on the lower Dash panel. I was thinking of switching to an 08 Lower dash piece and since the 08 upper dash is different I need to know if the contact points(piece that pushes into the dash) is the same size contact point as the 05's. Reason for me possibly doing this is that the fact the 05 Lower dash piece where the column cover slides into is a tad small for the 08 Column cover since it is much bulkier than the 05 column cover. The contact points should be underneath the Wood trim that you have.

I will check this out and post some picts once I get to that point. Note that it may take some days as;

1) Paddleshifter is B/O, dealer said.

2) My wife is about to deliver our second baby.

I will check this out and post some picts once I get to that point. Note that it may take some days as;

1) Paddleshifter is B/O, dealer said.

2) My wife is about to deliver our second baby.

yea I'm in no hurry just would like to know how it connects to see if it's possible to use 08 panels on my 05 dash. Thanks for the help.

i like that, its kinda fancy haha. i work at a Subaru dealer & we've got an 08 legacy 3.0r with the same cluster that im looking at, but i never have noticed if it flashes with low gas.

I'm not sure if it's the cluster that does that or the BIU(body integrated unit) the thing that controls a bunch of stuff for the car. It could also be that if it is part of the car that it was taken off on the 08-09 models and is just for the 05-07 models.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry about that HellShadow70! I have been busy with work and the little one lately. I have been driving with this setup for about a year now and no problems. I have just been waiting on the audio SWC's to confirm that this all works before posting up more info about it.

I Promise by the end of august you guys will have a full DIY with parts and info. This is mod is not for the weak minded and is a little pricey depending what you go with!

Got that installed since last March and runs perfectly... Course it's much easier to install on an 08+ as we just

need to tap the paddle wires to the BCU attached to the steering column :)

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/15018-2008-outback-xt-5eat-paddle-shifters-2.html

http://www.alexlamarre.com/IMG-20121105-00472.jpg

With some trim wrapped ->

http://www.alexlamarre.com/IMG-20130610-00699.jpg

Yea it must be nice for the 08+ owners. Trust me it took me 6 months of research since I had no knowledge of electrical wiring on this big of a system. I traced out all the wires and did what I could to make everything fit. Like I said I will not let you guys down. I will have a writeup for this with pictures and all.

Got that installed since last March and runs perfectly... Course it's much easier to install on an 08+ as we just

need to tap the paddle wires to the BCU attached to the steering column :)

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/15018-2008-outback-xt-5eat-paddle-shifters-2.html

http://www.alexlamarre.com/IMG-20121105-00472.jpg

With some trim wrapped ->

http://www.alexlamarre.com/IMG-20130610-00699.jpg

Nice write-up, But we are trying to do this in a 05-06 Legacy GT or outback xt. so this is very hard to do in our cars. your cars steering column has the option for the 08+ paddles, so column covers don't need any modification.

In our cars it's a full mod and i don't even know if the 08 Top & bottom cover for the steering column works right.

Nice write-up, But we are trying to do this in a 05-06 Legacy GT or outback xt. so this is very hard to do in our cars. your cars steering column has the option for the 08+ paddles, so column covers don't need any modification.

In our cars it's a full mod and i don't even know if the 08 Top & bottom cover for the steering column works right.

My 05 LGT has had this mod on it yes it does require some cutting here and there but it's all for a good cause. I have this list of parts on my car.

08 Steering wheel with airbag and SWC(soon to be working audio controls)

05 Clockspring(modded wires to make audio and shifting work)

08 Column cover(lower and upper modded to fit 05 lower dash panel)

08 Paddles and Turn signal piece( you need the 08 turn stalk or to buy one to mod your 05 since the 08 uses a longer canceler{for when you turn the wheel to make the turn signal cancel the turn} not that hard at all to do)

That is all that is really needed besides a set of balls to do some wiring stuff but to be honest it is not that hard at all. Once I wire up the audio controls and confirm that they work(hopefully this weekend) I will start doing the writeup as well as complete my DIY writeup for an OEM navi install into a NON-Navi car. Yes this also works and there is several ways to go about this.

My last trial with this project is to one day order a lower dash panel from an 08 and put that in to see if cutting the Steering column cover is really needed.

• 1 month later...
I apologize to everyone for not getting you this write-up by the end of August. My car was in an accident in august and I haven't been able to do anything since then. I promise that once the car is back first weekend I will have a DIY put up with details and pictures as well as my navi install into my 05.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Anyone ever figured out which covers to use for the steering column? I did this mod which was fairly easy, I just tapped into the stock harness for the shifter buttons on the steering wheel before the clock spring. My only problem is I can't get the column covers to fit.

Anyone ever figured out which covers to use for the steering column? I did this mod which was fairly easy, I just tapped into the stock harness for the shifter buttons on the steering wheel before the clock spring. My only problem is I can't get the column covers to fit.

you can trimm the covers or get a forester one and trimm it. I used a jdm forester cover and trimmed it to fit. http://i.imgur.com/NX4Uy6s.jpg

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Archived