LegacyGT.com

Paddle Shifters on 05-07's???

I have the F1 valvebody and at stage 3+

the last thing I want is the delay of the paddles

this is the 3rd transmission in the car already

1st w/ F1 valve body

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I did this just for the fact that I wanted it. They looked cool to me. Plus I needed a new Steering wheel anyway and the main thing is that no one had ever done this so for once I wanted to say that Hey I made this possible for Everyone. Also I haven't seen anyone do an 08 Steering wheel on an 05-07 so there was one other thing to do. My Mods to my car are quite different than any other person I have ever Met. Anyway "PLANELAZY" I got the wheel from the Ukraine off Ebay for like $80 no Airbag because people want a shit load for them. I bought that one because it was re-wrapped with a different material than the stock 08-09 Legacy. Feels awesome. You can find a few wheels for about $150 on ebay That is with both Audio and crusie controls. I am going to invest in getting the new Forrester Controls because they are Silver with black buttons. Looks sweet. Yet another thing to set me apart from everyone else. I will be ordering a Column cover tonight and hopefully by next week I will have enough to get an Airbag. Then I will put up a DIY for everyone.

I have the F1 valvebody and at stage 3+

the last thing I want is the delay of the paddles

this is the 3rd transmission in the car already

1st w/ F1 valve body

Just FYI there isn't that much Delay. Plus if I wanted a car for racing I would have scrapped this Idea and did a 6mt Swap.

Oh and here are some videos to show you that this is not B.S. It's just half assed right now until I get an Airbag and Column cover.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-PJ6DgQsuc&feature=g-upl]Paddle shifters 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_ExUekOXog&feature=g-upl]Paddle shifters - YouTube[/ame]

Well after playing around with some of the Lighting wire for the Cruise I come to find out yes it works if you plug it into the Roll Connector spot but it is not as bright as it should be so I rigged a line to the Light dimmer to see if it made a difference. Damn was it huge. So now my quest is to figure out once I get the Steering wheel audio controls how I am going to wire into the lights to make them as bright as the dash and radio lights. No biggy really just something that was on my mind since I wired them up.

Today I orderd a Steering column cover so it should be here sometime next week. After that I have only 2 things left to order. Forester steering wheel controls(audio/Cruise) and an Airbag. Once those parts come I will have the writeup done and out for everyone to see.

• 2 weeks later...
Quick update guys. I have run into a problem. The OEM Column Cover from the 08-09 Legacy/outback are much bigger and longer then I expected. I'm trying to decide now if I want to cut up the new cover or cut up my old one to see if it fits. I will try the new one first and see if I can match it up to the current one. I know there is a EDM column cover for foresters that is our 05-07 size but has the cutout for the paddles. I'm trying to find out how people would be able to purchase one but so far no luck.

I am sorry guys but currently I am stuck on this Column cover. I can't even use the 08-09 cover because it is waaaay to big. So as of right now I have the 05-07 Top cover and tomorrow my dremel will be charged so I will tackle modifying the lower cover. I found a JDM cover that supposedly is a direct replacement for our cars but I can't seem to order it anywhere. Maybe I'll get in touch with Subaru tomorrow and see if we can work something out. Yes I know I am spending a ton of money on this project but I hope in the end to have a Finish OEM look as well as a writeup for everyone.

Also an FYI Finding an 08-09 Steering wheel airbag for under $200 is almost impossible so what I am going to try and do is use my 05 Airbag take the cover off and order an 08 cover. Cost should be around $65 shipped. I don't think I will run into any problems since the Cradle that holds the bag to the Steering wheel fits into the Steering wheel housing.

Well I think I found a way to get the part for the column cover because going OEM is not working unless I bust out the dremel! I'm going to order a few parts to see if they work. Will let you know when they arrive and how the fitment is.

Carry on smartly! Thanks for being the Guinea Pig. I would have flipped if I had to drive my car sans steering column cover for a few weeks.

Yea I am crazy man right now because it looks like I jacked the car the way it looks. I am going to hopefully order the part today and get it soon. Airbag will have to wait since I am going to try a different route and try using my 05 Insides and just replace the cover of it. Not sure if it will work but I will again be the Guinea pig for everyone. So far I'm pretty sure I am about $700-$750 into it but by the time I am done it will be a lot cheaper for everyone once I get all the right parts for it to fit.

If you were to read on their site the unit requires the car to have existing shifters. They are just aftermarket replacements. Anyway the price I stated was just a estimate. I went a little overboard with this project. I get $100 from a settlement each week so it's not coming out of my pocket, that's why it is taking me so long to get it done and out to you guys.

My estimate for you guys will be about $200 without the 08 wheel.

With the 08 wheel it can vary depending on how you get the wheel. But it will be at the most $500 just because the airbag is expensive.

This is most likely why no one every tackled this job since it costs that and they want to spend it on go fast mods. I am very different. I wanted this so I am going to get it some way or another.

Here is a breakdown of what I spent on what. The reason I spent so much is that I am going in blind on this project.

08 Wheel - $175(Re-wrapped in perforated leather on the left and right grips a lot nicer than the OEM wheel, Went with this since the 05 Cruise needs to be removed and I wanted cruise back)

08 JDM Clockspring,Combination setup, Paddle shifters - $349(Bought this in thinking that the Clockspirng would need to be replaced as well not the case though)

08 OEM Column cover - $ 60(Too long and too big will not need this part ordering a JDM piece that supposedly works)

Total so far - $584

Actual price list when hopefully completed

08 Wheel - $175

08 Airbag - $180(this may change since I am going to try and swap my 05 insides and get an 08 cover)

Paddles - $80(this is actually the OEM price from dealer online)

Column cover - $70(this is a lot since it's direct from Japan)

08 Combo Switch w Turn signal - $70(this may change since prices vary on ebay)

05 Cruise control - $30(this is not needed but I want an OEM look so I need the 3 pin connector off of it since my original is used for the paddle shifters)

Total when finished - $ 605 when finished(will change when I have real price adds)

Yes I know I am crazy but it was one cosmetic mod that I really wanted.

Small little update. I went ahead and purchased an 08-09 Airbag COVER and swapped the inside(AIRBAG) of my 05 Airbag into the 08. All the holes line up and everything is fantastic. Was very easy to install just took a little time to get the rivets out. Once that was done it was smooth sailing. I didn't get any pictures of the process but maybe I'll mock it up for you tomorrow when I go and buy a rivet gun to set the airbag into the cover for good.

• 2 weeks later...
Pretty much the last update before I go ahead and get the DIY up. Waiting on SWC to wire them in. this is the last part I need. Just a heads up this mod is pretty straightforward until you hit the Column cover. In my quest for an OEM column cover I was told a JDM column cover would do. I went ahead and orderd it as well as an OEM 08-09 Column cover for a legacy. Both came in this week. As I sat there and looked at them they were damn near the same but on the lower cover of the JDM it had a cutout. Needless to say this didn't matter for the Cover would still need to be modified to fit. The column cover does fit but to someone looking at your car it is a tad bit off. On the Drivers side it fits perfect after the modding but on the Keyport side it overlaps on part of the Wiper stalk. This is due to the fact that the 08-09 Legacys moved their keyports a little bit up and toward the driver. I am sorry for this taking so long for everyone but like stated before I am doing this on a budget of $100 a month so I buy what I can at that moment. In the install I will also include an 08 Steering wheel writeup with the SWC's fully working. I will for sure have this up by the end of the month as long as Subaru gets me the SWC's I am looking for.

I'm a following of this thread and want to make this mods into my 08 Outback 5atm H6.

The first question that came out of my mind is how did you make the wiring between the paddle shifter to the shifter box? Did you need a special wiring harness or you just ran 4 wires end to end ?

As per my understanding, since I have a '08, I would only need to get a paddle shifter from the dealer ?(215$ here in Canada)!

Looking forward to see your DIY so I can compare what you did to what I have!

Thanks and goodluck...

I'm a following of this thread and want to make this mods into my 08 Outback 5atm H6.

The first question that came out of my mind is how did you make the wiring between the paddle shifter to the shifter box? Did you need a special wiring harness or you just ran 4 wires end to end ?

As per my understanding, since I have a '08, I would only need to get a paddle shifter from the dealer ?(215$ here in Canada)!

Looking forward to see your DIY so I can compare what you did to what I have!

Thanks and goodluck...

Well lets just say that it is very easy for you to do this mod. All you need is the paddle shifters,column cover, Wiring harness. The wiring harness you can buy from a junkyard or you can cut the wires if you can't find the harness. You need 3 different color wires for the (+), (ground),(-) for the shifters. Those wires need to run along the stock clockspring connector and all the way behind the radio under the din for the radio(where the ac controls are) and into the shifter. As for what wires you need to tap into I am not sure. I will have to look into that for you.

Using this the manual option increases line pressure resulting in less slip / wear for the clutches, so quite the opposite.

Good to know that since I put the paddles on I use them more then I ever did the buttons.

Thanks AkumaMax,

I've ordered the paddleshifter, I should be getting it in a week or 2. Once I get it I will figure out what else I need to order. For the wiring harness, I have already what I need, thanks once again.

You might want to check out this thread. It has a semi detailed writeup of an install on an outback. BTW can you snap some pictures of where the back of the column cover meets the dash part below the Gauge cluster. My 05 has a lip under it and want to know if that is something that was removed from the 08-09 legacy/outbacks.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/8551-2008-xtl-auto-rev-matching.html

Hi,

Thanks for the above link, I've consulted already and all look to be smooth install for a '08 ;-) I've checked out the column cover joint and there's a gap, very small lip but nothing compared to my WRX or your lgt. Here s the picture

http://www.alexlamarre.com/IMG-20121022-00391.jpg

Sent via Tapatalk

Akuma,

i noticed your gas gauge on your videos from youtube. on the second one the red ring around the gauge is flashing. is that a normal factory setting or did you change that??

(im new to subies and looking into my first one. Just doing some research)

Archived