LegacyGT.com

Paddle Shifters on 05-07's???

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to give you guys a little hope and to tell you it can be done with just a wheel, controls, and airbag.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1963588

This has put me in a great mood finding this. Anyway I will be going a little further then this and hopefully less wiring(if I can help it). For I will be swapping the Clock Spring too so everything should plug in(lets hope) if not then I will have to go this route. If there is demand I will do mods to the controls for people that are a little squeamish to do so.

Yet another piece of good info. An 06 AU Forrester with the 08 Paddles.

Only needed the paddles and the wiper stalk area to hold the shifters.

So maybe a possibility of just paddles on our 05-07 without having to replace the wheel and clockspring as well? I'm going to buy a wheel anyway for an 08 since my 05 has seen better days. But I will first try it out with an 05 wheel setup.

http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=429826&sid=3ce97dbf2328026e921707c0c8bc9ac4

Well I am on my way for parts so far. Got the 08 wheel ordered and now the Paddle shifter, Clockspring, wiper stalks(all JDM). So the Wiper is on the right and light on the left side. Just need the column cover and airbag and it will be a full 08 swap. I'm thinking about going the extra distance and possibly replacing the entire pole so I can have the telescoping function. It's only an extra $150 to get it. We will see. But like I said I am going to try and hook everything up with my 05 wheel first to see if it can work then I will do the full 08 wheel since my 05 has seen better days. Another thing I am going to try is using an 08 Airbag cover and swapping the inside airbag stuff over from my 05 but I am going to get a full 08 airbag with cover just in case the 05 airbag discharges while swapping.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/AkumaMax/05%20Legacy%20GT/DIY%2008%20steering%20wheel-column/IMG_20120813_115502.jpg

Parts are starting to come in. Just waiting for my car to get back to get this started.

And yes you are not seeing things the Wiper and headlight stalks are switched. That is because this is off of a JDM legacy. Not sure if I am going to keep it that way or replace the stalks with my OEM ones. The paddles feel very nice and heavy. They flick very easily too.http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v457/AkumaMax/05%20Legacy%20GT/DIY%2008%20steering%20wheel-column/?action=view&current=IMG_20120813_115502.jpg

Yep I have looked into that as well. All in all it is a cheaper option but I am all about trying to keep the car having an OEM look to it. I am very strange when it comes to modding my car. If I can upgrade a part with a newer OEM unit I will.

I'm the same way. 06 WRX wheels on my 06 LGT so far.

Well still waiting on the Wheel to get here from Ukraine. Then just waiting to get a few misc parts to tidy everything up and then my car back. If I don't get it back soon enough I am going to call and see if I can work on it while it sits in the back of the shops lot.

Update: Car is still at the shop awaiting a doner engine(waiting on warranty place to ok it). Today I got my Steering wheel. As I look more and more into things. I have a feeling I am going to run into a problem when it comes to the paddles. I am not 100% sure since my car is at the shop and I can't look at it myself. If anyone has pictures of how the Steering wheel shifters are connected please post them up. Also The wheel I got it very nice but it only came with the cruise part so I am going to purchase another Steering wheel as a back from a fellow member instead of buying the wheel controls from Subaru. Next on my list is the last big piece and that is the Airbag. Now from looking around I can do 1 of 2 things. I can buy a used bag and install it. Or I can take my 05 Bag and remove the cover and then buy an 08 cover(half the price if not more then half) and swap the covers. It looks like it's riveted in the cover so some drilling and a rivet gun will need to be bought. Shoot I might just do it both ways for some of us with limited funds. As of right now the total cost of my project to do this is around $400(missing airbag and column cover) I was going to go the stealership route when I first thought about it but then I came across some used stuff on ebay for a quarter of the price so I went for it. I hope that the next update for you guys will not just be of new parts but an actual DIY writeup. Oh and just an FYI I know for a fact that the paddles can not be adapted to the 05-07 Clockspring because it is too big so the parts that I will list WILL BE NEEDED to complete this.

Hi guys, I am attaching a few pictures of the same project that I did. i had a donor from an 08 European Outback H6 but let me tell you it is not worth doing.

At first i got the steering wheel, airbag, the shifters, and the plastics with the clock spring.

First problem was the wiring is completelly different so you wuld need to rewire the whole clock spring wire by wire.

Second problem is the plastics from the donor dont fit with the dash of the 05. I had to replace the bottom dash and cut it a little to fit. even so i coudnt adjust the steering wheel all the way up or down.

Third problem is the adjusting mechanism on the bottom - doesnt fit all. I had to cut the plastic and get the entire mechanism from the donor and readjust it to work with my setup.

Looking at the picture above I am guessing this is some sort of jdm kit and even so it looks as if the shifters are too close to the wheel.

Let me know if u need any more info and i will be happy to assist.

Hi guys, I am attaching a few pictures of the same project that I did. i had a donor from an 08 European Outback H6 but let me tell you it is not worth doing.

At first i got the steering wheel, airbag, the shifters, and the plastics with the clock spring.

First problem was the wiring is completelly different so you wuld need to rewire the whole clock spring wire by wire.

Second problem is the plastics from the donor dont fit with the dash of the 05. I had to replace the bottom dash and cut it a little to fit. even so i coudnt adjust the steering wheel all the way up or down.

Third problem is the adjusting mechanism on the bottom - doesnt fit all. I had to cut the plastic and get the entire mechanism from the donor and readjust it to work with my setup.

Looking at the picture above I am guessing this is some sort of jdm kit and even so it looks as if the shifters are too close to the wheel.

Let me know if u need any more info and i will be happy to assist.

Interesting. I was actually looking at everything last night and the Plugs for the wire seem the same. The only thing I couldn't see was the plug for the paddle shifter witch is understandable since my 05 is plugged into the clockspring. So therefore I need to find the wires from the Clockspring harness on my 05 and reroute them to the paddles. I have looked into several things concerning this project and it seem fairly simple with a little wiring being the hardest part. BTW I am using a JDM setup for the shifters. So maybe it is different. Either way it will be my first hands on DIY with little help. I know that this is not worth it as I am already into a price range that would ward off most people. I would love to see your pictures of anything to help with anything I might run into. BTW update on the car supposed the engine was sent to them on Friday so they should have gotten it. So if all goes well I can start this as soon as next week or mid September.

arminrs. I would love to see the pictures on your car. Also I am going a little further with this project then I think you did. What my car will have in the end from an 08 are the parts listed

Steering wheel(with audio and cruise controls on the wheel)

Clockspring

Paddle Shifters

Wiper stalk

Headlight stalk

Connection piece for the stalks

Column cover

Radio(P-204UH)

If it comes down to it I might put a whole telescoping steering shaft as well but I don't want to go that far into the project. Would be a cool add on though.

and possibly navigation to roll it all in. My goal is to spend no more then 5k but that is if I have to buy things from the stealership. I might just retro in some other stuff from newer Subarus.

here is a link with pictures of the car in the bulgarian subaru forum (this is where I live and had the car imported).

http://www.subaruclubbg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=11851

if any of you speak Bulgarian you should be able to understand that I sold the car (traded it for a legacy GT '08) but before I did that I installed the sat nav unit along with backup camera and DVD. It is not that difficult but it would require a lot of wiring but works like an OEM unit. The most disappointing part about the setup was that fact that I had to buy a new radio unit to make the sat nav speak. I had seen on the internet that you could get a harness that will connect the display with the navigation unit and the radio. I think it would be the easiest because otherwise it took me 3 days to wire everything bit by bit.

what car did you say your donor is for the shifters. please check the plastic covers (top and bottom parts) will fit in the dash. I had to get a new dash (only the lower half) in order to fit the covers.

the good news is that at the end it looks better than my GT now since the shifters from the european model are a lot larger and look a lot better.

let me know if I can help you with anything, i think i have all the wiring diagrams, etc. good luck!:)

I'm not sure what car it is from but know it's from a JDM Model since the stalks are switched around. Looked very nice though. That is what I am planning to have a look of when I am done with my car by the end of Next year. We will see how this goes. I haven't got around to ordering an Airbag or Column cover yet since I have to see how much my car is going to be to get it out of the shop. I should have a rough install by the end of September if my work schedule allows the time.

Well Guys it's time it is about 11:15pmCST and I am going to put in the paddle shifters. Now since I don't have everything for my 08 Steering wheel that will be left off as well as the 08 clockspring witch might stay off all together since the 05 clockspring can be used with minor modification. As of right now I have ran down the wires for the shifter so I ghetto rigged some wires onto the paddles to test if they work and they did. IMO they seemed to change gears quicker than the button shifters. I will try and take some pics of what I am going to do but this will not be a final product. I am very anal about the OEM look so I need to find a connector to fit the Paddle connector; Funny thing is the OEM Cruise Connector that plugs into the clockspring is what I need for the paddles to look OEM Wired.I am not about to let my connector get hacked up until my 08 wheel controls come. So for the time being my car will look like the picture in post #37 for the controls. I know already that the Column cover for the 08 Subaru is a tad bit snug and will require some modding to fit on the column. So I will have to get back my Dremel from my brother and cut out an area for the Paddles on the 05 Column cover.

ok so here it is the final thought on all of this.

DOES IT WORK=YES

Can I use the 05-07 Steering wheel= Yes but the Cruise control must be removed

How hard is it to do= Moderate

What parts do I need to do this= 08 Combo switch(I say this because the 05-07 turn signal switch is not long enough to self cancel on the 08 combo panel), Paddle Shifters, Used Cruise control Connector(one that plugs into the roll connector) this is for the paddle shifters. That is really it no joke. The only other thing is 3 wire taps.

I will get a picture up a.s.a.p. be warned because my car is still waiting on an Airbag, Audio/Cruise controls, possibly column cover for my 08 setup.

So you do, or do not have a cruise control? Sorry just confused about if you were able, or are going to reattach it at any point.

I do have Cruise now. It is wired up to my 08 Steering wheel. It's a little weird getting used to but very very nice to have it back. As for the people running 05 Wheels I have yet to find a work around for the Cruise.

aside form cool factor- what is the point of this?

I have a 5EAT and can't wait to swap the steering wheel buttons to radio controls

the shift delay is not worth the investment IMHO

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

^^The cool factor is the reason for doing this. That's pretty much the function of all mods, is to make you think you ride is cooler than it was right? It's cooler if you're planning on doing a valve body mod for your transmission 05-07. Paddles on a VB would be awesome I think...

Archived