LegacyGT.com

Jerky 5-speed manual

Gang, I guarantee this has nothing to do with my driving skill; I can drive a stick just fine. The problems I originally mentioned at the top of this thread don't happen when I shift, it's when going on and off the accelerator. That's when I get the abundance of play/slop in the driveline. So, this forum is stumped then?

My Subaru with 214k does the same thing and my guess is it's either the motor mounts or there's just a lot of play in the drive-train after all the miles. Have you got under yours to take a look at it yet?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I knew the problem wasnt my driving. On a good day the car drives smooth as butter and some other days just jerks and jerks. Sometimes stop&go's are so rough that I feel like I'm just learning how to drive and this has been going on since the day my mom's husband gave me the car. Once I drove my co-workers audi a4 and that thing had no issues at driving at all. Then I really started doubting the car and not myself. I would really want someone with a newer manual subaru to let me drive it but noone would damn it.

Yeah, it's not my driving either, as some of the other not-so-helpful posters here have suggested. I drove a friend's 2005 Legacy with far fewer miles than mine, and it drove like it should -- without a ton of slop and jerk in the driveline. The only shop I can find and trust to take a look at this issue on my car is 45 minutes away, so when I can find time to get it there, I will. For now, it's just an annoyance.

• 4 weeks later...
I just changed my diff fluid with full synthetic and it made a pretty noticeable difference. My motor mounts seem perfectly fine but did find some play along the drive shaft towards the front of the car under a heatshield. I know it will have some movement but i dont know how much is too much..

I just changed my diff fluid with full synthetic and it made a pretty noticeable difference. My motor mounts seem perfectly fine but did find some play along the drive shaft towards the front of the car under a heatshield. I know it will have some movement but i dont know how much is too much..

I'm going to try this today and I will report my results.

The problem is the carrier bearing for the driveshaft. It kinda sucks because subaru made those none serviceable so you have to replace the whole driveshaft. I did talk to a guy at a subaru dealership and he confirmed that it is the driveshaft carrier bearing.

Ah, so it's not just us driving crappy after all, as some snide commenters have suggested. I had thought maybe u-joints, so I guess I was thinking in the right area. I know the u-joints on these cars also aren't serviceable. Thanks for the input.

haha no not crappy driving! it is a extremely easy job to pull the driveshaft, it is just expensive to buy the whole thing. i went to a dealership just to get a price and i was told $600 for the whole thing. all you really have to do is unbolt the 2 bolts for the carrier bearing mount and the four bolts at the back of the driveshaft where it connects to the rear diff then slide it out of the back of the transmission.

Went on a drive with a mechanic and he did a load test on the clutch and he says that my clutch is going. I could tell that my clutch was weak because of the difficulty I have in engaging it smoothly, but I have been driving manual for years and never felt clutch slip like I am experiencing while the clutch is fully engaged.

However, while looking around on the internet I found this little nugget on eHow.com: "Chattering is another common problem. This is a jerking and and grabbing action that occurs when the clutch is engaged." This seems to pretty accurately describe the problems we are having with our cars.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Has anyone changed the driveshaft yet? There is a definitely jerkiness whenever I let off the gas in gear. It feels like there is slack in the drivetrain as it also happens when I get back on the gas in the same gear, without ever touching the clutch pedal. I know it's not my driving style causing this, because the same habits are perfectly smooth in my dad's 05 LGT. And the clutch was also replaced less than a year ago, so I'm pretty sure it's not that either. I don't mind spending the $600 on a new driveshaft if it fixes the problem

Has anyone changed the driveshaft yet? There is a definitely jerkiness whenever I let off the gas in gear. It feels like there is slack in the drivetrain as it also happens when I get back on the gas in the same gear, without ever touching the clutch pedal. I know it's not my driving style causing this, because the same habits are perfectly smooth in my dad's 05 LGT. And the clutch was also replaced less than a year ago, so I'm pretty sure it's not that either. I don't mind spending the $600 on a new driveshaft if it fixes the problem

This is the exact situation I was describing in my original post as I'm experiencing. I haven't changed the driveshaft, either, but am curious to hear if changing the shaft and its related components fixes the problem. Would love to have a smooth-driving car again.

I am experiencing the same thing. I have driven three stickshift cars and never felt this. I have however felt similar things with the refuse trucks I work on as well as Chevy pick-ups. you get a feeling like the body is twisting and shifting forward and back. Its the driveshaft binding up. Perhaps if we are able to disable the power to the driveshaft or even remove it, then see if that problem syill exists?

hmm that made more sense in my head

Driveshaft doesn't sound like it's that hard to remove, would anything grenade if I went for a drive without it attached (ie the lsd in the back)? If it is the driveshaft, my temporarily fwd lgt should be silky smooth, correct?

• 1 month later...
Sorry for the delay on this, I took the car in a couple days before Christmas and the mechanic thinks it should be rebuildable (though he never took the driveshaft off, he just lifted the car a took a look at it). Just waiting on the phone call saying the part is here and then I can take the car in and let you guys know how it goes

If you really wanted to and you could actually find the parts, you could UN-stake the u joints and actually service them. The carrier bearing could be removed. But all too much effort.

Other option could be to have a specialty shop cut the shaft, and weld a new carrier bearing in place.

Id still choose a new shaft though

Took the driveshaft in to a shop yesterday and they said they can rebuild it. However, they also told me that the u joints and carrier bearing are fine and that there would be no point in rebuilding it. Glad they were decent enough to say that and not take my money, but that doesn't solve the problem.

I did change the tranny and diff fluid while I was under there (how to) and that has helped more than I thought it would, but the problem is still noticeable. Oh well

• 1 month later...
Hey sorry to exhume an ancient thread! I have been having this problem with my car for quite some time and have been living with it. I got a tip from a friend who had a similar problem with his car (impreza) that went away when he replaced his clutch. My clutch has been in death throws for the last 9 months and I have been living with all the regular symptoms of clutch wear (stiff pedal, engaging high, shuddering on hill starts, etc.) plus the jerking under acceleration and deceleration described in this thread. Now that the car is just about not drivable I bit the bullet and am having the clutch replaced. Should be done Thursday or Friday at the latest and I'll let everyone know the result.

Archived