LegacyGT.com

Short throw shifter- comparison

I drove both... STS "pop's" into gear nicer than the std. short throw. I also though it felt more "precise". I found myself hunting for the gate a few times with the standard shifter.... I'm ordering the STI short throw in mine...

mccorry's description is spot on. I test drove my GT before it had the STi shifter and the feel was a little vauge. The STi shifter is much more precise, has a much better feel and the actual throws are shortened quite a bit.

I have used stock, Cobb Double-Adjustable with Cusco Bushings, and STi units in my '97 GT. I liked my Cobb unit best probably, but the STi unit is still a good bit over all stock units I've used. I have ordered the STi unit for my new one. May try the Cobb lever in there as well at one point to see how the two working together do.

[quote name='Throttlejockey']That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks guys.[/quote] It depends upon what you in fact want to hear. For example, I found the Legacy short shifter high effort, stiff and mechanical in feel. Those detriments weren't worth the reduced (not significantly) shift throws. The question you want to ask is, what kind of shifter feel does the person assessing the shifter prefer? Kevin

I also found the short shifter to be real stiff and it actually felt like I was fighting it a bit to get it to shift right. My guess is that it'd loosen up nicely with time and effort would decrease, but when I order my car, I am *not* getting the SSK. Perhaps I'd add it later, but not until I lived with the car for a while, because I wasn't overly impressed with it.

Plus, it is pricey. List price in Canada is $516.30 + tax. Add install charges (if you don't order it with the car) and that is a lot of cash. I would want to be sure it was a worthwhile upgrade. But, I very much enjoyed the STi shifter in my WRX so if the performance is similar then I would be tempted. Prices should come down over time. Tom

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='Throttlejockey']That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks guys.[/quote] It depends upon what you in fact want to hear. For example, I found the Legacy short shifter high effort, stiff and mechanical in feel. Those detriments weren't worth the reduced (not significantly) shift throws. The question you want to ask is, what kind of shifter feel does the person assessing the shifter prefer? Kevin[/quote] I agree with Kevin. I also tried both the stock and STS on the Legacy and didn't feel the price tag and increased effort were worth the slight decrease in throw length. Also, I may be the minority on this one, but I didn't like the look of the shift knob that comes with the STS kit. The stock shifter matches the subdued elegance of the Legacy much better. -- but that's just my opinion. Ken

[quote name='Ken S'][quote name='gtguy'][quote name='Throttlejockey']That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks guys.[/quote] [/quote] I agree with Kevin. I also tried both the stock and STS on the Legacy and didn't feel the price tag and increased effort were worth the slight decrease in throw length. Also, I may be the minority on this one, but I didn't like the look of the shift knob that comes with the STS kit. The stock shifter matches the subdued elegance of the Legacy much better. -- but that's just my opinion. Ken[/quote] OK. Now you guys have me all confused on if I should get it or not. I guess I have to drive one with it before I buy it. I don't think the knob comes with the shifter, you have to buy it seperately.

I also think the knob is a separate option... the SSK car I drove had the stock knob. But yes, try to drive the stock shifter and one with a SSK if you can. The first car I drove had a SSK that the dealer had ordered with the car, so you might get lucky if you call around.

I'd recommend trying one out first. Remember, the stock shifter was designed to please the broadest range of customers. If Subaru thought that the STS was going to have more mass appeal, they probably would have made all the shifters that way. The parts are nearly the same. Also, while it's certainly possible to change out the shift linkage later should you change your mind (in either direction), it requires some work under your vehicle. Ken

[quote name='SUBE555']I have used stock, Cobb Double-Adjustable with Cusco Bushings, and STi units in my '97 GT. I liked my Cobb unit best probably, but the STi unit is still a good bit over all stock units I've used. I have ordered the STi unit for my new one. May try the Cobb lever in there as well at one point to see how the two working together do.[/quote] I have the STI shorty in mine..All I can say it needed to come with the car.

Just like any part you want to have installed after the fact there will be install charges (unless you can swing a deal with the dealer). If it is installed prior to you taking delivery then you shouldn't see any charges. Tom

Just like any part you want to have installed after the fact there will be install charges (unless you can swing a deal with the dealer). If it is installed prior to you taking delivery then you shouldn't see any charges. Tom

I ordered mine with the car, and it came installed. I agree that the effort is a bit high, but it seems to be loosening up slightly. I have just the shifter, not the knob or pedals. In another thread, someone mentioned that it's very much like the shifter in the STi with 1 less gear. Having not driven any other MT Subaru's myself, I really don't know how true the comparison is.

Archived