LegacyGT.com

Attn lgt 05-09 owners: Blown turbo legal case

dimanart

Oil was making it through to the turbo and IC. Heavily. I took videos of checking the oil on my break at work and it was dry. They did about 6 or so oil comsumption tests asking me to return every 2k. It was drinking on avg 3 quarts and often found dipstick bone dry. Drove to dealership after work and half mile left something went boom. LOUD clanking coming from below car. Got video somewhere. Coasted to dealer lot. Engineer from SOA came to dealership and had them replace motor as per SOA at around 47- 50k i think. 3rd motor was still drinking oil. Car then began loosing power on our way home from test driving the only 2012 GT in Jersey. It made it home. I came back outside to look the car over and recorded what it was doing. Idle shot to over 2k rpm Si Drive, CEL and Cruise control lights began flashing. Tried to drive to dealer next morning tried to drive to dealer and didn't make it more than a block and a half. It just plain died. Towed it to dealer, they told me crank sensor piece broke inside. Got new motor AND turbo plus the gold extended warranty. When i got the car back, then 5 year old daughter noticed scratches on rear bumper the second we got home. Returned to dealer, they agreed to repaint bumper. While being repainted, i just decided the car was bad luck and got the last 12 LGT in the country as per autotrader on feb 29th. Leap year baby GGM with nav, short throw and all weather mats for cabin and trunk. Turned the 09 in and haven't looked back. Subaru would not let me transfer new warranty to new car so someone is getting an 09 with 59k and extended warranty.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oil was making it through to the turbo and IC. Heavily. I took videos of checking the oil on my break at work and it was dry. They did about 6 or so oil comsumption tests asking me to return every 2k. It was drinking on avg 3 quarts and often found dipstick bone dry. Drove to dealership after work and half mile left something went boom. LOUD clanking coming from below car. Got video somewhere. Coasted to dealer lot. Engineer from SOA came to dealership and had them replace motor as per SOA at around 47- 50k i think. 3rd motor was still drinking oil. Car then began loosing power on our way home from test driving the only 2012 GT in Jersey. It made it home. I came back outside to look the car over and recorded what it was doing. Idle shot to over 2k rpm Si Drive, CEL and Cruise control lights began flashing. Tried to drive to dealer next morning tried to drive to dealer and didn't make it more than a block and a half. It just plain died. Towed it to dealer, they told me crank sensor piece broke inside. Got new motor AND turbo plus the gold extended warranty. When i got the car back, then 5 year old daughter noticed scratches on rear bumper the second we got home. Returned to dealer, they agreed to repaint bumper. While being repainted, i just decided the car was bad luck and got the last 12 LGT in the country as per autotrader on feb 29th. Leap year baby GGM with nav, short throw and all weather mats for cabin and trunk. Turned the 09 in and haven't looked back. Subaru would not let me transfer new warranty to new car so someone is getting an 09 with 59k and extended warranty.

Well I have to hand it to you, you have patients. I would have pushed it into a quarry and told my insurance it was stolen :lol:

I'm curious how your new turbo failed. If Subaru "rebuilt" the block using a mix of old parts and new, they easily could have skipped a step such as cleaning the oil filter or oil pump, leaving debris from the previous event.

I have no idea man. When I sent it to BNR, he told me it was a "contamination issue." It started making odd noises at full boost, so I just sent it to him.

I have no idea on Subaru rebuilding the engine. To be honest, the person I bought the vehicle from "knew a guy" from the dealership & I think it went through "under the table."

I have no idea man. When I sent it to BNR, he told me it was a "contamination issue." It started making odd noises at full boost, so I just sent it to him.

I have no idea on Subaru rebuilding the engine. To be honest, the person I bought the vehicle from "knew a guy" from the dealership & I think it went through "under the table."

Sounds sketchy. Under the table work at a dealer is probably not going to attain any warranty except for parts. The easiest way to tell if there was a mix of old and new would be to look at the castings and see which appear to be older.

How long have you been running on the new turbo/ oil change?

^He told me it was a spun rod. I'll look through the receipts he gave me, but most of the parts were seals, gaskets, etc. However, he did have STI B25 Heads & Cams put in, so yes it may have been mix/matching.

New turbo has been fine for the past 13k. I think it may be time to check the oil screen in the IP&T line. I'm afraid of taking it apart though. W/e the filter is made out of, it is cheap material, & the thread width is tiny so it can easily strip out.

Did BNR ever send out emails to his customers do recommend the IP&T. Somewhere along the line, BRN had to start noticing an issue w/ the feed line or else he wouldn't have recommended me the IP&T after the turbo issue.

BNR recommended me to change the oil asap to see if that helped. How foolish of me to not keep the oil for an analysis. I know it wouldn't be very likely that the "contaminates" may have been from the turbo itself, but you never know...

05 legacy GT...the Original owner (lawyer) had the turbo go at 85K miles. Subaru dealer replaced the turbo and inspected the engine. I have 115k miles on it now stage 1 and doing well. Proper cool down after long drives on the highway and proper warm up time before driving goes a long way. Synthetic oil every 3,000 miles.

Bought my used 05 with no knowledge of blown turbos or filter screen or even how a turbo works.

Maybe just my luck but it just turned 101k and its still running and pulls nicely.

Putting in a different turbo because I want more power not because I'm worried about it blowing up or failing because I'm not.

Really think it(the turbo) could go forever 200-300k+

New turbo has been fine for the past 13k. I think it may be time to check the oil screen in the IP&T line. I'm afraid of taking it apart though. W/e the filter is made out of, it is cheap material, & the thread width is tiny so it can easily strip out.

Sorry you feel the filter is not up to par. It is spec'd and built for the US military. Military is still by far largest purchaser of the filters.

Filter Element:

Designed and engineered for the aerospace industry, for rugged, high temperatures, and extreme filtration environments, made of pleated, 304 stainless steel, 10 micron (.000392"), 1.000” Diameter. Totaling four square inches of effective filtration area, filter provides a maximum flow of 6 gallons per minute simultaneously with no restriction.

Filter elements are washable and reusable indefinitely, cleaned easily with air or soluble rinse.

Bodies: Machined on CNC from 6061 aluminum, clear bright anodize finish.

The line kit was developed because of the noted turbo bearing failures from contaminated oil.

It is the way some people drive and take care of the cars is what the problem is. I have 90K on the car stock turbo and filter in with stage 2 18 lbs boost and running fine. no play when we put new stage 2 clutch in. i warn the car up and let it cool down before i turn car off. If you take care of your car it will take care of you. It sounds like the people blowing turbos have very bad tunners for there cars.

It is the way some people drive and take care of the cars is what the problem is. I have 90K on the car stock turbo and filter in with stage 2 18 lbs boost and running fine. no play when we put new stage 2 clutch in. i warn the car up and let it cool down before i turn car off. If you take care of your car it will take care of you. It sounds like the people blowing turbos have very bad tunners for there cars.

WRONG!:hobbes:

Mine blew up - Stock car running Amsoil Signature Series Oil changed religiously at 7.5K.... (No Issues with 3.5K changes since new turbo)

I'm the second owner, and I have no idea who the 1st was, but Subaru did confirm it was a lease vehicle, and I bought it "Certified".....

They still tried to fight me on why the Turbo Blew.... But ended up paying for the repairs.

There is an issue here, but it's not "Tuning", I believe it's the size of the Turbo Screen, it's too fine, so larger contaminates are clogging it up just enough that longer "Spirited Runs" are enough to damage Bearings...

But SOA will NEVER make a recall, as it's cheaper to fight every case and lose some than recall ALL the cars. Hell I bet some folks are not aware to even ask for SOA to cover it, they just shell out cash to fix it, or dump the car cheap:rolleyes:

Sorry, but I do not see the logic. If the screen is too fine and it clogs up, does that not mean that a more porous screen would let in contaminants that would destroy the bearings before starvation could?

It is a double edged sword. The bearings need clean oil. A filter is a requirement. problem is it is in a bad location and not easily serviced.

There is no where near the body of evidence to try and open a class action suit against SOA due to turbo failures.

Sorry, but I do not see the logic. If the screen is too fine and it clogs up, does that not mean that a more porous screen would let in contaminants that would destroy the bearings before starvation could?

It is a double edged sword. The bearings need clean oil. A filter is a requirement. problem is it is in a bad location and not easily serviced.

There is no where near the body of evidence to try and open a class action suit against SOA due to turbo failures.

Cant argue that lol,

My question is if the screens are the problem...Then why are 08 GTs' blowing turbos??? I am under the impression 08 & + do not have screens, so screened or screenless, seems to equal screwed! maybe another variable is at play beside oil changes and screens?

08+ LGT's have the screen. There were special instructions issued to dealerships in order to "check" cars that were effected by the stop sale. A few overzealous techs removed the screen (without Subarus approval or recommendation). The screens were there when the cars left the factory.

So I think, for a few years already, that SOA made mistake of recommending 7.5k miles OCI with underspecified oil (5W30 API ...) when turbocharged GT appeared first time in 2005.

Next year they back pedalled with halving the OCI claiming that all turboed engines are severe duty but never issued addenum to manual (I bought the car for its 7.5k OCI, back then I was commuting 130 miles a day; I would argue breach of contract when specification was changed).

Magically the OCI was changed back to 7.5k when SOA introduced synthetic oil and turbo engines are no longer severe duty (AFAIK).

VOA (aka Volkswagen) lost similar litigation with their 1.8T engine which first suggested oils meeting VW 502 spec and then made it mandatory to use them (5k OCI). Dealers were pouring different stuff into 1.8 for many years even after VW changed the wording.

Krzys

PS 150k with 7.5 OCI, first 60k miles on Mobil 1 5W30, the rest on Castrol Syntec 0W30 (aka German Castrol). No mods. I had AVCS solenoid failure but my mechanic did not think it was lack of lubrication.

08+ LGT's have the screen. There were special instructions issued to dealerships in order to "check" cars that were effected by the stop sale. A few overzealous techs removed the screen (without Subarus approval or recommendation). The screens were there when the cars left the factory.

I could have sworn that I either read or was told on here that 08 and up had no screen :mad: my bad

I could have sworn that I either read or was told on here that 08 and up had no screen :mad: my bad

You probably did, it's been a confusing issue. I didn't know til I actually saw the screen in my car with my own eyes.

Archived