LegacyGT.com

Driver side door wont open from outside

So I went to open my door today from the outside and it was a funny angle and somthing seemed like it broke.

Now I cant open my driver side from the outside. Is this is an easy fix? How much would it cost to have fixed? Could I do it myselff and what went wrong?

Thanks guys!

- JHumm

Most likely the cable that connect the door handle to the latch is broke or came detached at one end. It could be a simple re-attachment, or you might need to replace the door handle (I think they are ~$80 from the dealer, although that might be for a front unit which has a lock, and they don't come painted IIRC).

It is not that hard to pull the rear door skin off to inspect. Have you ever pulled a door skin before?

• 2 years later...

Had this happen to me recently on my passenger rear door. It was freezing cold in the AM and I pulled on the door too hard to free it from the frozen-ness. I heard a positive, non-metallic snap heard a piece fall into the door. From reading this, I assume I broke the cable mount/attachment point.

Sub'd for later repairs.

Had this happen to me recently on my passenger rear door. It was freezing cold in the AM and I pulled on the door too hard to free it from the frozen-ness. I heard a positive, non-metallic snap heard a piece fall into the door. From reading this, I assume I broke the cable mount/attachment point.

Sub'd for later repairs.

Same thing happened to my driver's door last year about this time in the freezing cold.

I believe someone (perhaps Max Capacity?) told me that it wasn't an uncommon problem on the 05s. For me it was just easier to replace the door handle assembly (except the lock). You'd have to get it painted though (or not, mine is black).

Same thing happened to my driver's door last year about this time in the freezing cold.

I believe someone (perhaps Max Capacity?) told me that it wasn't an uncommon problem on the 05s. For me it was just easier to replace the door handle assembly (except the lock). You'd have to get it painted though (or not, mine is black).

Yep, common issue. I had my buddies body shop paint and install mine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm in a similar position as MrTris. I'm having issues with my rear passenger door.

I don't know if it was weather related or not, but it won't open. It looks as though the lock will not fully release to show the red mark just above the handle on the inside.

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations of how to remove the panel to access the intervals of the door without being able to open it at all?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

• 2 months later...
Glad you got it done, my drivers door snapped off last fall, a simple call to the dealer and a paint shop, after I got it back30 odd mins and I had it back on myself in my driveway. It's definitely not an uncommon problem!
08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

Archived