LegacyGT.com

better mpg on sport?

i've been devoting this tank to some conservative driving to see what my max avg is. mixed city and backroad driving* i started all of it out using intelligent mode (lol) and being very light on the throttle, i'm averaging 24mpg. so i figure it won't get much better and decide to switch to sport (not sport#) and my mpg is now between 24.6 and 25.2. plus it doesn't feel so sluggish. any thoughts, comments, or insults?

i did a few 2nd to third gear pulls in #, drop a few .mpg's and i put it back on sport and still averages up to 24.6. if you dont use intelligent, then keep doing what you're doing lol.

I used intelligent all of one time. Been getting consistently around 22mpg in Sport, I rarely use Sport #.

what kind of places do you drive at. city, hwy, or both? city drops you down to about 17mpg (on intelligent) when you fill up the tank. i'll try again using sport at my next fill up and see whats better

I can understand instances if you may not use S# but when driving on the highway its really unsafe to keep it on I. I think it even says that in the manual IIRC.

what? seriously, unsafe how? i'd be skeptically of that.

for long highway trips I use intelligent and can get about 28mpg, my mixed city/rural driving most days in sport or intelligent nets me around 24. twisties nothing but S#!

I always drive the Spec in S# . Yesterday the dash read 29.7mpg on the 180 drive on the highway up to NH following a buddy with the 5th wheel camp trailer.

I had the car street tuned by http://www.tuningalliance.com a few weeks back. This is the first long drive since then.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I am curious if in Intelligent mode one burns more gas by laying harder on the pedal without thinking about it? I know that's what has happened to me when i fall back to Int mode as I am trying to learn this car...

In sport or s# i have quick acceleration of course, but in intelligent i lay on it and it takes longer for the end result - possibly why some have reported similar or worse MPG in ingelligent?

I haven't yet tried really granny-footing it - but - but but - why would someone?? :lol:

Yesterday the dash read 29.7mpg on the 180 drive on the highway up to NH following a buddy with the 5th wheel camp trailer..

that's seriously good mileage dude, especially with most all the ups and downs headed north from here. tuning I'm sure makes a good difference, I'll be calling Mike asap.

With the 5EAT, you should expect to get 1-2 mpg better in I mode due to modified shift logic. In I mode, the torque converter is basically always locked up, while there's a delayed lock-up in S. This is true regardless of manual shifting or not.

As for "unsafe" the only explanation I can give is that I mode has a cap on boost so you can't make full HP/torque for passing.

• Mega Users

Absolutely nothing unsafe about staying in s# always. I don't know where the hell that came from.

I mode will change shift logic and reduce full pedal to around 75%. Other than that, it's no different in terms of mpg. Good point on the TCC lockup helping with efficiency. Also s# raises the shift points which will definitely negatively affect mpg on the auto.

I hardly drive at all, work from home so no real reason to drive much. I've had the car for about 9 months, put all of 2k miles on it...probably 1950 of those are in Sport, 2 in Intelligent, and the other in #.

I think its more that I ride the bike whenever its not raining. And that thing is plenty fast for me to get my jollies.

My 05 wagon showed 28.2mpg on the dash when I was coasting to the off ramp coming into work today.

Not for 280whp. It's all about keeping your foot out of the turbo.

On the drive back from NH yesterday in the Spec it about 25mpg on the dash, I was driving a bit faster coming home...that had about 6 gallons of 91 mixed in with what was left of the 93 from the drive up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I see no improvement in intellegent mode and am capable of 28 mpg on the highway in S#. In fact intellegent mode sends rage through my body when on the highway due to the fact that it can barely make it up a hill at 80mph without the pedal being mashed through the carpet.

An N/A person here but, for what it's worth, I read an article about a hyper miler who recommended that you keep the tach at 2K or below as much as possible. For the mainly suburban Atlanta driving I typically do, the S# let's me do that more easily with my 4-speed auto than intelligent.

Archived