LegacyGT.com

Oil Change Instruction Help?

So I have an 2005 5mt wagon and it's been 3,000 miles since my last oil change, so I'm about to change it and don't want to pay the dealership so I'm looking into doing it myself. So first off, this is everything I'm going to go pick up from the dealership:

1. Elem CP Oil Filter

2. Gasket

3. Synthetic 5W-30 Oil

So first off, just wanted to make sure that was all I needed to do the oil change, and was curious if there was anywhere with a walk through on how to change the oil, the only one I say the pictures and instructions were no longer there. I'm sure it's pretty simple but just was hoping to see a walk through. Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

You have everything (assuming you have the tools: ratchet set, torque wrench, oil filter wrench, jack / jack stands and/or ramps).

Place catch container under oil pan. Remove oil drain bolt (if you have to remove the undertray you're barking up the wrong tree). Let the oil drain. Replace drain bolt after the oil has drained using a new crush washer (or not) and torque to spec. Move over to the filter (passenger side). Loosen filter with oil wrench. Place red solo cup over the filter and unscrew all the way--the cup will catch the oil that drains out, but have a catch container underneath anyway. Replace filter with new one (rub some new oil on the o-ring on the filter before replacing). Do not overtighten the filter, 1/2 to 3/4 turn after it seats is plenty. Refill with oil from the top of the engine with 4.5-5 qts of oil. Check that nothing is leaking. Done.

Check your oil regularly.

Also, search for "vacation pics" on this site and take a good look at them. They're pretty awesome.

EDIT: I'm not responsible for anything that happens to your car blah blah blah, and don't kill yourself by getting under your car without proper safety precautions.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

You don't have to buy oil and filters from the dealership. You can buy them at any auto parts store or places like Wal-Mart.

Even Tractor Supply has Shell Rotella t6 5w-40 for cheap.

Read the oil threads on here.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated Too
Walmart (at least in Massachusetts) stocks the Rotella T6 5w-40 - about $22 for a gallon - they even have the single quart size for the ".2" you need... may be easier than finding a tractor supply place, not sure about anything in Seattle though.. YMMV

Archived