LegacyGT.com

Curious, SoCal on 91... who is the fastest?

Drew you ARE the one that commented on the airboy, directly at me, just to clairify;). 0% guilt, 100% torque and the same members making the same commentary about airboys and dynos. Pretty sure I even offered to let you drive my car before.

LOL,WHAT?! that could have been meant for anyone :D

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm subscribing... but also in LALGTs defense, I put down 315whp on one of the lowest reading mustang dynos in the country with a nearly identical setup to his airboy 339whp setup.

And I'm not joking about the low reading mustang - same car, same tune, same weather did 511whp on awdtuning's dyno and 585whp on a different mustang dyno.

This is why I asked for how fast as ya just cannot get the clear picture without all the info. We are still talking 91 octane right?

Ooo me me I'm the fastest! :p

Willow Springs 1:38 topspeed 125mph

Street of Willow 1:27

Fontana 2:00 topspeed 132mph

Buttonwillow 13cw 2:13

Adams Motorsports Park 46s

Kil Kare Dayton, OH 13.4@101

How fast on Nurburgring?

lol

NICE!!

See we need these times also, what the heck.

Dude, my custom coolant overflow tank is almost done. Then it's track time baby!!!

Ooo me me I'm the fastest! :p

Willow Springs 1:38 topspeed 125mph

Street of Willow 1:27

Fontana 2:00 topspeed 132mph

Buttonwillow 13cw 2:13

Adams Motorsports Park 46s

Kil Kare Dayton, OH 13.4@101

Drew-Sadly I have retired the Legacy from track duty and got a Miata in its place. Also I'm moving to Colorado in a week so ill be unable to run at the track with you :/

Dr Sharp if I ever get stationed in Germany ill be sure to post up something but it'll be in some other car :p

This is why I asked for how fast as ya just cannot get the clear picture without all the info. We are still talking 91 octane right?

The et/trap I posted was one of my better runs for 91oct.

The numbers you are talking about on the airboy are e85.

I am pretty sure I could find my relatively typical stage2+racerX numbers if you want me to buuuuut... Its an airboy:lol:

Not 100% sure I am going to bother wth a 91oct tune with my new setup. Someone convince me why I should bother since its not a DD and I'm unlikely to switch to 91 and I will be able to post new info.

Ouch, well I'll just pick up the torch then and keep goin.

I drove a friends track prepped Miata and although it makes the hobby relatively cheap and yes it's a blast to out brake almost everyone, its just a bit to...rough around the edges. I'd grab an early Boxster maybe or an S2000.

One nice thing about Colorado....easy access to E85!

Drew-Sadly I have retired the Legacy from track duty and got a Miata in its place. Also I'm moving to Colorado in a week so ill be unable to run at the track with you :/

Approximately 400 WHP and 3500lbs, yes and no. 99% of the cars you roll up to, yes.

Doesn't your new setup on E85 have the potential to destroy everything in its path? :lol:

This is my daily and some choices are limited. If I could run E85 all the time I would. Latest search for E85 stations puts one exactly in the middle of my weekly 45 mi commute to work and some quick math means I'm filling up every 1.5 days. That'll be a tough routine to get used to and factoring in current prices I would spend a bit more than the rediculous amount I have to now.

I am saving up for a Coolingmist alcohol injection install though (parts, labor, tune). This should net a similar effect and I can stick to my 3 day fill up for now.

The et/trap I posted was one of my better runs for 91oct.

The numbers you are talking about on the airboy are e85.

I am pretty sure I could find my relatively typical stage2+racerX numbers if you want me to buuuuut... Its an airboy:lol:

Not 100% sure I am going to bother wth a 91oct tune with my new setup. Someone convince me why I should bother since its not a DD and I'm unlikely to switch to 91 and I will be able to post new info.

This is my daily and some choices are limited. If I could run E85 all the time I would.

You know we ran e85 and used to as a main car for a long time. Nothing better than the wife taking the boss out to lunch and flooring it "guess what I did at work today":wub:my wife (scare the piss out of the boss). I learned to keep at least 15-20gal of e85 at my house at all times. Whats more, no station is anywhere near any commute. In fact, its a good 30mi round trip. In fact, I keep my Airstream by the e85 station to make it easier.

Latest search for E85 stations puts one exactly in the middle of my weekly 45 mi commute to work and some quick math means I'm filling up every 1.5 days. That'll be a tough routine to get used to and factoring in current prices I would spend a bit more than the rediculous amount I have to now.

Comparing e85 ot 91 makes no sense: you need to be comparing e85 to running racegas all the time. When you think about it for what it really is in our case, its BRILLIANT and incredibly cheap. So cheap, you can actually drive on "racegas" all the time plus... Basically no chance of knock.

I am saving up for a Coolingmist alcohol injection install though (parts, labor, tune). This should net a similar effect and I can stick to my 3 day fill up for now.

Drew you have to agree that on some level a DD is a safer with something that does not require failsafes and does not have possibility of failure. E85 seems like a no brainer to me in your case with your built motor. You have a lot invested. I would wager that once you went E85 and got the off boost tq that so nice in DD in addition to all that extra powa, you would find it impossible to go back to pump without meth/alky.

^I was moreso referring to the 5MT and stock internals. I'm pretty sure his new turbo on E85 will be putting out much more than 400whp. IIRC it's a ~56# turbo.

I don't expect to be putting down more TQ so I don't expect to have problems. I am very smooth when rev matching and pretty much quit launching the car once I went e85. Even Shamar was complaining about how I was pussy-footing it at the track. I don't want to blow it up till I have a little more money set aside.

You know we ran e85 and used to as a main car for a long time. Nothing better than the wife taking the boss out to lunch and flooring it "guess what I did at work today" my wife (scare the piss out of the boss). I learned to keep at least 15-20gal of e85 at my house at all times. Whats more, no station is anywhere near any commute. In fact, its a good 30mi round trip. In fact, I keep my Airstream by the e85 station to make it easier.

And you really didn’t mind the inconvenience? Think about water/alcohol/meth injection, worst case is you keep a jug of washer fluid in the trunk and best case is you are only topping off your tank (water) every week if you have a decent sized tank or your light on the boost. The other positives are better mileage and even better than that if you tune for 89 octane (net result is very close to where you were without meth injection and you are saving at the pump (and you still benefit from the det resistance). The dangers are there of course but overrated. If you’re not tuning to the limit there is not much to worry about at all at a 50/50 mix. Kits today have come a very long way and the technology has been around for 100 years. Just a thought…

Comparing e85 ot 91 makes no sense: you need to be comparing e85 to running racegas all the time. When you think about it for what it really is in our case, its BRILLIANT and incredibly cheap. So cheap, you can actually drive on "racegas" all the time plus... Basically no chance of knock.

Yes it does make sense but I see your point. I was comparing the overall costs relative to what I’m paying now. If I had no choice but to run e85 or race gas then I could justify the e85 by comparing it to race gas to make me feel better. This isn’t the case here. I’m paying approx. $400/mo on gas (approx. 9 fill ups/mo) now and if running e85 I’d be filling up almost twice as often so roughly about $550+ or so. I think I’ll be seeing Shamar soon because I need him to look at my current map and make me an e85 one just to check it out. In the long run alcohol injection will be quite a bit cheaper and provide similar benefits. It’s just the upfront costs that suck.

Drew you have to agree that on some level a DD is a safer with something that does not require failsafes and does not have possibility of failure. E85 seems like a no brainer to me in your case with your built motor. You have a lot invested. I would wager that once you went E85 and got the off boost tq that so nice in DD in addition to all that extra powa, you would find it impossible to go back to pump without meth/alky.

I agree it’s safer but there are many people out there not just from NASIOC or here (everything from Diesel trucks, DSM’s, to BMW’s) that have been running meth for years without issue. It requires a good kit, good install, and the driver has to pay attention. Now e85 is easy and stress free for sure. If I could keep from burying my foot on the pedal it may work for me. It would be very had to justify to the wife that I pay so much more in gas (she already thinks I pay way too much) for what? Absolutely nothing in her eyes. Her argument is the car shouldn’t need the added protection. “Why in the heck did you buy such an unreliable car? It’s not worth it. Why not buy something that’s already fast?”.

I just need to try it and get past the cost thing.

See what you did… man, way off topic

Your arguements are a bit confusing.

1. E85, in terms of power, is equivalent to running meth or race gas. But is easier to maintain and easier to find. If you don't have E85 within 10-15miles of your stomping grounds, it shouldn't even be considered. But in no way will meth ever be as convenient as E85 if you have local stations that sell it.

2. Fuel cost is not any of our concerns. If you're concerned about $, I think you're driving the wrong car and have started a thread with the wrong title which includes the word, "fastest"

Long story short, don't knock it until you try it. Pun intended!

lol

And you really didn’t mind the inconvenience?

Drew, whats inconvenience to someone like you who would be around my mod level... AND STILL DD IT:confused:

... other positives are better mileage and even better than that if you tune for 89 octane (net result is very close to where you were without meth injection and you are saving at the pump (and you still benefit from the det resistance).

So, now you want to run water injection to try to SAVE money at the pump?

The dangers are there of course but overrated. If you’re not tuning to the limit there is not much to worry about at all at a 50/50 mix.

If you are not tuning near the limit, why be stage 4+. It doesn't make sense :iam:

I was comparing the overall costs relative to what I’m paying now. If I had no choice but to run e85 or race gas then I could justify the e85 by comparing it to race gas to make me feel better. This isn’t the case here.

You are not talking about comparing pump91 to racegas. You are talking about installing an entire new system to tune for, watch, maintain and top off, all in an attempt to get a similar effect to racegas/e85.

I’m paying approx. $400/mo on gas (approx. 9 fill ups/mo) now and if running e85 I’d be filling up almost twice as often so roughly about $550+ or so.

Twice as often would be $800 a month. $550 is nowhere near twice as often and is about the same amout of time you will spend fiddling with injection.

Get a $2000 1.5L 1990 honda 5spd with ~40+mpg that costs $25/mo to insure and $50 a year to register and you would be WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY ahead of the game. And your car would alwasys be clean when you get home. You know my DD is a 50cc scooter right? 80+mpg FTFMW... Our stage1 OBXT gets better mileage, drives just as fast as a stage 4 LGT in Los Angeles rush hour traffic, has under $1000 of mods. You could always mod your LGT to be a stage1 OBXT and I bet your wife would be very understanding of the lack of money spent on parts.:p

I agree it’s safer but there are many people out there not just from NASIOC or here (everything from Diesel trucks, DSM’s, to BMW’s) that have been running meth for years without issue.

There are people out there with muti-stage injector kits and multiple tanks with different fueling and all sorts of advanced engine management that seems to work (for a while anyway). Doesn't mean any of it is good for a DD.

...It would be very had to justify to the wife that I pay so much more in gas (she already thinks I pay way too much) for what?

But its not a problem to pay for another pile of parts? You make no sense at all but I'm really done explaining why it doesnt make sense.

Absolutely nothing in her eyes. Her argument is the car shouldn’t need the added protection. “Why in the heck did you buy such an unreliable car? It’s not worth it. Why not buy something that’s already fast?”.

And what do YOU think of your wifes astute observation?

I just need to try it and get past the cost thing.

WAAAAAAAAA THUUUUUUUU FUUUUUUUU? Cost thing for parts - OK. Cost thing for fuel - NOT OKAY :iam:

^^Drew Way off. Get a Prius V! :p I tell my wife "cuz its fun and I love it"

Sounds like you have the same reationship with your wife I do with mine.

Your arguements are a bit confusing.

LOL, it's ok really.

1. E85, in terms of power, is equivalent to running meth or race gas. But is easier to maintain and easier to find. If you don't have E85 within 10-15miles of your stomping grounds, it shouldn't even be considered. But in no way will meth ever be as convenient as E85 if you have local stations that sell it.

Easier to maintain of course, easier to find...maybe if I lived in Colorado. The rest is obvious and I touched on all that already.

2. Fuel cost is not any of our concerns. If you're concerned about $, I think you're driving the wrong car and have started a thread with the wrong title which includes the word, "fastest"

Really, that's a comment made to someone that just bought his first Suby that hasn't yet modded it. There is a line EVERYONE draws in the sand. Filling up every other day and adding another $150+ to my monthly expenses I can easily do but I may still choose not to. Do you think $400+/mo on gas sounds reasonable? I do but not sure if $550+ does.

Long story short, don't knock it until you try it. Pun intended!

I haven't ever... Just thinking out loud a bit if you will. I have access to one E85 station that is 24 miles from my house but it's along the same freeway that I travel on to work each week. It may work out but I'd have to store 5 gal at work and 5 gal at home. Hmmmm...what a pain.

I've never calculated how much I spend on gas. I enjoy every second of my commute and every second of my spirited drives. The moment I have to worry about cost of fuel would be the moment that enjoyment is ruined. IMO If you're calculating monthly fuel costs, you really should consider a different car for DD.

I do understand your agruements about distance and reduced mileage though.

lol

^^^ Right there with ya, I feel the same way. I'm not changing my car anytime soon and want e85 or meth also. All I'm sayin is that I'm still thinking of which way to go and in doing that e85 will cost me more in $ and time and sorting it out so far imo translates to a pain in the @$$. My salvation would be access to more E85 stations.

I'm all for more e85 stations Drew but with the cuts from government funding, I am not so sure its going to happen. In fact, I am just hoping the ones that are open, STAY OPEN.

For the record my wife thinks I should have bought a "fast" car instead of modding this one and considers it an astute observation.

OMG Max...you're killin me man.

Drew, whats inconvenience to someone like you who would be around my mod level... AND STILL DD IT

That’s just it, everything. You don’t DD yours, and it’s becoming more and more of a pain.

So, now you want to run water injection to try to SAVE money at the pump?

Uh, no... I was just stating an alcohol injection benefit. Did you get enough sleep last night or what?

If you are not tuning near the limit, why be stage 4+. It doesn't make sense

OMG again, really??? Holy crap... ok, sorry, it may not make sense to you. We don’t all go stg4 with the main purpose to tune near the limit. Ok, maybe..define limit ;) No but really, I had a broken ringland and it all went downhill from there. I didn’t wake up one day and say “I think I’ll go stg4 today”.

You are not talking about comparing pump91 to racegas. You are talking about installing an entire new system to tune for, watch, maintain and top off, all in an attempt to get a similar effect to racegas/e85.

I’m comparing long term costs and Yes... going out of my way to fill up every 1.5 days seems on the surface to be a real pain in the ass. Who knows, it may not seem so bad in practice but I'm guessing not.

Twice as often would be $800 a month. $550 is nowhere near twice as often and is about the same amout of time you will spend fiddling with injection.

It looks like you are assuming e85 costs the same (and burns at the same rate) at the pump by your statement. My previous example was a rough guess on the fly and I was off. 12 gal at 16 times (guessing I'd fill up about every other day during the wk being that I have a 90 mi commute then a little on the weekend) /month using a low $3.15 amount (it most likely will be higher with my luck) /gal for e85 and we are talking roughly $605+/mo. Again, yours isn't a DD. I think most people would feel $600/mo in gas.

There are people out there with muti-stage injector kits and multiple tanks with different fueling and all sorts of advanced engine management that seems to work (for a while anyway). Doesn't mean any of it is good for a DD.

In this day and age yes it does. You should read up. It’s just fine. It’s not the voodoo you seem to make it out to be. Why not poll those here on LegacyGT that have been using it.

But its not a problem to pay for another pile of parts? You make no sense at all but I'm really done explaining why it doesnt make sense.

Parts were never an issue. I never brought that up. I buy what I want and all I did was comment on the inconvenience and additional cost. Mostly the inconvenience. It's annoying to fill up every third day as it is but I soon forget once I leave the station :)

And what do YOU think of your wifes astute observation?

She’s correct, heck she is always correct. She’s a Dentist that got through the best Dental school in the country receiving 2 degrees and never having to buy a book. She merely relied on her good note taking. My car is my car, end of story.

WAAAAAAAAA THUUUUUUUU FUUUUUUUU? Cost thing for parts - OK. Cost thing for fuel - NOT OKAY

Not Ok? Way to assert you opinion there Max.

Well, parts are usually a little here and a little there. Fuel is almost a constant and we are talking a big difference. Try to imagine if yours was a DD and your fuel cost went up $150/mo. I doubt you’d be happy about it. All I did was voice the same opinion and this got out of control. Man when you voice an opinion, you voice an opinion.

I'm all for more e85 stations Drew but with the cuts from government funding, I am not so sure its going to happen. In fact, I am just hoping the ones that are open, STAY OPEN.

For the record my wife thinks I should have bought a "fast" car instead of modding this one and considers it an astute observation.

And that make things worse. I had better play with it while I can. Or just go Alky injection :rolleyes:

I am really fortunate that two stations have opened within 2 miles of my home/work in the past year. Othwerwise it'd be 25 miles in the wrong direction for me to get E85 in San Antoinio.

Count yourself lucky for sure.

Archived