LegacyGT.com

Hi, Brand new to the forums. Had a question after doing some searching.

Hi, just bought my Suby about 2 months ago. After doing research and such I was thinking about getting a better oil feed for the turbo to avoid death from starvation cause of Subarus poor feed design with the bolt screen. Who has input on the Infamous AVCS and turbo oil feed line replacement kit? I only found a little information on it and no real reviews.

Thanks for reading and any information guys,

Cristian

Just make sure the filter in the banjo on the back of the passenger side head is removed if you have a 05-06.

No need for the after market kit.

I have the stock oil feed line on my 05 with the new short block and vf52.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4783.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah I read about the screen removal, the thought of no safety net frightens me near as much as the tiny filter clogging and starving. This is my first turbo car coming from my Firebird. It cost me quite a bit and I'm willing to spend money to improve it and keep it running as well or better than when it came off the line.

From what I read, the 07's + came without the filter, Subaru even figured out, they were a bad idea.

Use a good oil and filter and you'll be fine, I use Amsoil but if I didn't I use Shell Rotella t6 5w-40 or Castrol Syntec like I use in my lawn tractor.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

All cars have the filters. They just move around. They are not a "bad" idea. They need to be there. Contamination from the heads travels into the turbo and destroys the bearings. It can also get in to the OCV's. The filter is there on the passenger side to service the turbo and OCV. There is a separate filter on the drivers side OCV.

Foresters had 4 filters, not 2. Subaru has used the filtered Banjos for years, and still do.

The interwebs infinite wisdom has been proved wrong again. Subaru knew what they were doing. It is just not teh best filter or location.

Welcome to the forum.

I was more concerned with the potential failure rate of the lower oil flow design paired with the fairly small filtration design, since I do my own oil changes my warranty is pretty much void even if my car still had one. Seeing as I'm not rich..quite poor really I was thinking investing in a better design might help prolong the life of my car.

I wanted easy access to that filter for OCD-like oil changes. Have one of these on my wife's stage1 obxt.

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-995/IP%26T-Filtered-Turbo-Oil/Detail

Overkill? For sure. Worth it? Whats anal retentive levels of peace of mind worth to you? To me it was worth $175. No regret.

Yeah I'm an overkill kind of guy. I do my oil changes every 2k miles. Force of habit, I'm still debating it even though the company I'm asking about is telling me might as well stay stock. I'm surprised they aren't pushing their product and trying to save me money. Makes me want to buy from them all the more.

Mike is a good guy that is genuinely interested in the satisfaction of his customers. Its likely he would make more money if he was more interested in his bottom line than his customers happiness and his business morals. I have a tremendous amount of respect for this type of businessman.

Mike talked me out of stage2 in the OBXT because he reasoned that my wife would be just as happy at the performance level of stage1 as stage2 and would definately be happier about spending less money and retaining a completely stock appearance so that she can even go to a stealership for repairs with no red flags, should the need arise.

Check out what he has done for my LGT:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3951651&postcount=296

And duh, the LGT has the oil line too.

Looks like you had a ton of work done. It looks great, so for a compulsive worrier and constant maintainer would you recommend the aftermarket lines?

Well... As long as you are actually so ocd that you will want to check your filter. I thought that making the filter easy to access = fast to check = me more likely to include it with my regular maintenance routine combined with the improved filter design's reduction in liklihood of being clogged (you would need something bad going on to clog that bad boy). Of note, the additional oil supply properties of the line are not needed for your or our OBXT's application. You can use standard bolt banjo/hole to regulate the oil flow so it is not a problem either way.

I hope that makes some sort of sense.

FWIW, that oil is not highly thought of for these engines. Just like Mobil 1 5w-30.

I know m sprank is a great guy. I chose to remove both banjo filters when I installed the new short block. The engine has a oil filter, I'm sure Mike knows more then me, I have built turbo charged Honda's and have never heard anyone from that side that was worried about a filter before the turbo.

It's your engine you do what your confortable with.

I'm no Mike....;) But it's behind the cam gear/timing belt cover. If you look below the oil fill tube you may be able to see it.

That's on my 05. They say they moved the passenger side on onthe 07's + so they may have moved that one too.

You can see a parts break down on the link in the sticky at the top of the very first forum above, opposed forces...

Yes, behind the timing cover. Pain to get to.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/

do not lose this link

drivers side is same year to year. on 07+ the 05 location is there, it is just plugged. You can remove the plug and move it to the top of the block. If you need more clearance (like wanting to mount an OEM oil feed pipe from an 05 onto an 08) you need a 12x1.25 hex head plug) Drag Specialties sells them to plug O2 bungs (I said bung) on bikes.

I certainly dont know Hondas like I know Subies.

Thanks for the links. I have been pretty intimate with a honda block, had one in the kitchen for a few months...

Although I can strip a Honda 400ex with basic hand tools, in the open desert, all the way down to the crank, in probably 1-2 hours. I have swapped pistons mid-race. Clutches during the race (heck, I rode desert with an extra clutch pack zip tied to the frame LOL).

No, No, No, :) car engines, see my avatar. Had a B series on the engine stand next to the fridge for a few months.

Cars I leave to my brother-in-law. I stopped paying attention to Hondas in the mid 90's. My brother-in-law is the local Honda Master Mechanic. So, I call him for Honda questions and he calls me for Subie questions (when they take in a trade-in at the dealership, lol).

Archived