LegacyGT.com

Auto Door Locking

Recently got a '05 Leg 2.5i Limited wagon. Love it. :) One thing it doesn't seem to do is automatically lock the doors (at some low speed ~10 mph). Car does not do this as delivered. Manual does not mention it (least I didn't see it). Does anyone know if this can be programed? Is auto door locking available on other / older Subaru's? Other cars I have owned could do this. Sometimes you could "program" it your self (pushing strange combination of radio buttions). On one car (Audi TT) it was not recognized by Audi as having the capability, however if you gave the dealer the right "codes" they could program the car to do it.

Congratulations on your new wagon. Regarding the auto-lock feature, I don't believe any recent Subaru has it. And I know it's a convenient feature -- my wife's VW Jetta has it. It scares passengers when all the lock solenoids fire off, but it's a nice safety feature to have. Ken

No Subaru has this feature. This feature I believe started to be real common starting with GM and a few others. I personally don't like it, just another thing to break/fix. The lock button is just a couple inches away. But that's just my opinion.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I don't believe it does this- My 02 WRX doesn't either- it's a really nice feature though- maybe someone could figure out how to wire it.

Yeah, my manual transmission jetta had it, and my gf's cheap Saturn Ion has it. Just something Subaru hasn't caught up with...like auto UP and down windows, a tilting and TELESCOPING steering wheel, etc, etc. Its not a deal breaker, but somewhat sad when cars like VW's have had these features for years on cheaper models. It always seems to take the japanese awhile to catch up w/ the germans, but damn its been years and honda at least is startin to catch on--it looks bad for subaru. But I guess since I just got a new one its not a deal breaker, but still...

He's talking about the doors locking regardless of transmission. Like in my '97 Chrysler van, if you are over 15MPH and your doors are unlocked, they will automatically lock. I don't think it has anything to do with choice of transmission, just the speed you're going.
-ben

So I guess, once the car starts rolling, the ECU tells all the doors to lock? I guess if you can monitor the speed sensor of the car and have the uC signal a door lock at a certain speed, that'll work. All these projects that seem so simple to implement would have really given the Legacy an extra edge.

Glad it's not thrown in our face. Ah, the simple joys of driving the work truck with no AC and crank-down windows. While AC and power windows may be nice, stuff like auto-locking doors isn't really all that necessary IMO. You can probably unlock the door in one way shape/form after they've locked I'd imagine, right? Is that really child-proofing then as I'd imagine the power-lock thing is? Did I mention I hate idiot-proofing?

Guest *Jedimaster*
It goes on the vehicle speed sensor. The alarm already locks the doors- there must be a way to make it do so at a particular speed- although once you get into wiring diagrams, it's probably a lot simpler to just hit the lock button :oops:

I HATE auto-locking with a passion that I cannot begin to adequately describe. If I want to lock my doors, I will lock my doors. I drove a Ford Taurus with that feature, that I was ready to ram into a lightpost after it locked the doors for me for the second time. Thank heavens the Legacy doesn't do this. Kevin

Its generally a feature which can be turned on or off, and I don't think its a child safety thing so much as a general safety thing as far as being safer in an accident, and for those areas where you have to worry that if you stop at a light or whatever some thug might try to open your door to get at you. In my jetta they engaged at speeds above 10 mph. I don't see why it would be an issue for the ford person--ford cars generally have doors which will open from the inside even if the door is locked--they automatically unlock.

[quote name='jedimaster']Get at me? I'm more likely to pull them into the car with me :lol:[/quote] Why would you do that? What part of NY are you from, just out of curiosity? Somebody tries to get into my car and they will be looking into a 45 caliber hole... But I've lived places where the locked door thing was a good idea, so I can sympathize/understand.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I don't carry any weapons accessible enough to just reach for- I'm more of a I'ma gonna getcha kind of guy. Likely I'd pull someone into the car and put a hurtin' on him. However, you really never know how something like that will play out...

[quote name='jedimaster']I don't carry any weapons accessible enough to just reach for- I'm more of a I'ma gonna getcha kind of guy. Likely I'd pull someone into the car and put a hurtin' on him. However, you really never know how something like that will play out...[/quote] :roll: :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think its more a European feature rather than a mainstream feature of other car manufactures. As you would have noticed, all top of the line German cars such as Porsche, BMW & Merc have HID, its the copy cat factor. Im sure if one Japanese company does it with the Auto Lock Feature, the rest will follow in time. Could Subaru be the first ?

I thought it was a bit more of an American thing as that is where I knew it from generally. I'm just hoping not to see that for some time and if they do have it, it's user on/off. I really don't like extra features that try to tell me what to do. Pain in the butt if you ask me.

Archived