LegacyGT.com

Cleaning up polished alum wheels.

fullmonte77

It works well, as long as you don't have a clear coat on top of the polished wheel and it's actually the clear coat that is looking all shitty.

If it clear-coated, the best thing to do if you can handle the work is to strip off the clear coat with laquer thinner and then re-polish up the raw metal by hand with a paste polish.

They are fully polished not clear coated.I bought some mothers and it didn't take all the oxidation off.If I scrape with my fingernail the oxidation comes off.I'm thinking I may have to sand with like 600 grit sand paper and repolish them.The wheels are like 10 years old but are still pretty nice no curb rash or nicks at all.

I used to apprentice for a custom metal polisher in my teens. It was a dirty sweaty job, but it was a ton of fun. I worked for him for 5 years.

He was a big drag racer (had a 7 second funny car) and knew all the Harley bikers in town too, so the amount of Harley parts and blowers/ superchargers that came through the shop over the years was great.

I've used "Eagle One Never Dull" on my exhaust and it does a pretty good job. Should work fine on polished wheels as well. It's not too expensive and lasts a while too.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EBG2VF6TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Go to Lowes and pick up some aluminum truck box polish. Its like $13.00...it takes me like 20 minutes to shine all 4 of my volk gt-v's...stuff is amazing..rub on lightly with one rag and buff off with another rag. Very little product needed to get job done but I swear its worth every penny!!

Archived