LegacyGT.com

First LegacyGT LA Gunslingers Ball - Sat Jun16, 11am @ LA Gun Club (downtown LA)

LosAngelesLGT

Was definitely fun except the part of me getting lost looking for the place and the target cable machine kept on breaking on me. the Sig was not all that bad, loved that kimber 1911 though. 100 357s round out the sig and 50 rounds 45 out of the 1911. Im ready for the next meet. I'll be ready for the next meet

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This looks like fun. I took the GF to a local range and she loved it. She's telling me to buy a gun instead of my VB mod haha. If she's got to nag me about how to spend my money, at least it's telling me to buy a gun instead of drapes or some bs.

I want to rent a few more guns and see what I really like. The SIG 9mm I shot was nice, I felt like I was more accurate with it than the glock, but I shot it after the glock and I hadn't shot in a year or more.

Recommendations on what to try next? I just want something fun to shoot, accurate, and ideally that doesn't need more expensive than average ammo. 9mm vs .45? I don't know the benefits of either. This will be the first adult gun I've owned, my .22 revolver handed down from my dad doesn't really count. Also is buying used ok? I don't care if it's brand new really. Home defense is of secondary importance, I live in one of the safest cities in the US, I just don't ever want to say "Crap... I wish I had a gun right now" and not have one.

Oh and something that isn't SUPER maintenance intensive.

This looks like fun. I took the GF to a local range and she loved it. She's telling me to buy a gun instead of my VB mod haha. If she's got to nag me about how to spend my money, at least it's telling me to buy a gun instead of drapes or some bs.

I want to rent a few more guns and see what I really like. The SIG 9mm I shot was nice, I felt like I was more accurate with it than the glock, but I shot it after the glock and I hadn't shot in a year or more.

Recommendations on what to try next? I just want something fun to shoot, accurate, and ideally that doesn't need more expensive than average ammo. 9mm vs .45? I don't know the benefits of either. This will be the first adult gun I've owned, my .22 revolver handed down from my dad doesn't really count. Also is buying used ok? I don't care if it's brand new really. Home defense is of secondary importance, I live in one of the safest cities in the US, I just don't ever want to say "Crap... I wish I had a gun right now" and not have one.

Oh and something that isn't SUPER maintenance intensive.

Ruger GP 100

Buying used is fine if the gun is checked out by a reputable gun smith, but you generally won't save more than $100-200, and when you're buying a $700 gun, it's nice to pony up the extra hundred or two and get something brand spanking new that will last you forever.

The SIG 9mm I shot was nice, I felt like I was more accurate with it than the glock, but I shot it after the glock and I hadn't shot in a year or more.

Without shooting for a year or more the GP100 is vastly more accurate than my Glock17... Having NEVER fired it before and having owned the Glock for a couple of years.

What to buy next? GP100 or go to a meet and rent a bunch of things. I realized that I do not want a compact revolver from our last visit. I want a smaller full size like a GP100 4 1/2" AAAAAAAND a sub-compact, itty-bitty. If I cant hit any better with a compact than a sub. may as well have a sub.

Ruger GP 100 Buying used is fine if the gun is checked out by a reputable gun smith, but you generally won't save more than $100-200, and when you're buying a $700 gun, it's nice to pony up the extra hundred or two and get something brand spanking new that will last you forever.

Love his GP100. Bought my Glock used. Would not think of doing anything else.

ITS

A

GLOCK!

The GP is a nice piece and entry level for really honing your skills (nice features like adjustable sights, etc) and will be dead accurate from the start. Cheap to fire as a revolver...

If you want an automatic I say look no further than a Kimber 1911. Any model. They are all tits.

The Glock in question is a 19 (iirc). I bought it brand spanking new in 1993. It is the far more desirable generation of Glocks. That which made the name.

I babied her the entire time I owned her. Never mind my obsessive cleaning schedule.

I still miss her sometimes. But its cool. No reason to stow guns in a safe and never use them. Tools need to be used/enjoyed.

If I ever needed a full size handgun for self defense (obviously the Glock is not very "carry" friendly) I would not hesitate to protect myself and family/friends with the Glock. It will not misfire. It will always go bang for you. It is more than accuratre enough at self defense range. It can hold more than enough rounds. The 9mm is not the hottest or largest round, but it will do the job.

A 1911 by a good manufacturer (like Kimber) is also a tried and true tool. God made man, but Sam Colt made men equal.

I would not hesitate to protect myself and family/friends with the Glock. It will not misfire. It will always go bang for you..

Even if you toss it in sand and bury it and put it in the water it will keep working. And you are right. It is a Glock 19.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj5Kcs4dzro]Glock 21 Buried 2 years then 500rd test fire - YouTube[/ame]

Part of why its so reliable. Less parts to break. It is simple yet effective in design. I can 1 hand strip it blind folded (it just takes practice, it was my first self bought hand gun). I bought that bad boy days after turning 21 (and getting a new tattoo, lol).

Holy shit. I had not really thought about it but that makes sense that you had it forever and ever. Its in about the same shape as you last saw it. Funny thing, I told you I was concerned about ruining the mag's by leaving one loaded and you said to just buy more... I left one mag loaded for... A YEAR. The official glock mag still racks them in just like new. No screwing around.

Seriously awesome gun from tip to toe for home defence. It will never be sold - when/if I move out of the country or don't want it anymore, its going back to you MSpranky

Only concern about leaving a mag loaded long term is that the spring will get weak from being compressed. But good mags are not that much and you can always rotate. I understand that an unloaded gun is just as dangerous (if not more when you need it) than a loaded gun.

Only concern about leaving a mag loaded long term is that the spring will get weak from being compressed. But good mags are not that much and you can always rotate. I understand that an unloaded gun is just as dangerous (if not more when you need it) than a loaded gun.

leaving it loaded won't weaken the spring. only the repeated motion of loading and unloading will the spring get weak.

I was always told that long term it would cause weakening (like sag in a car). Not saying what my dad taught me is right. It just is. So, being OCD. I follow it.

My Mossberg A590 needs a good use. I suppose clays would work. But not so sure my shoulder can take that. I prefer my pistol grip pump.

Thanks for the heads up Knight705. I have been getting mixed information but it seems you + my experience = okay to leave the clip loaded (at least in terms of years if not decades).

Mike, some indoor ranges will not allow use of pistol grip pump because of too many idiots putting holes in the... CEILING. Must be from the gangSTARS getting all crazy with rapid pistol grip fire and zombie posters at 50ft. Idiotic.

For shooting clays you are going to want a loooong barrel on that shotty. I'm planning on renting. My 500 is all persuader/zombied out. (Shortest barrel, longest magazine, pistol grip, heatshield, etc). Hell, I dont even HAVE A long barrel or shoulder stock for it anymore.

I have the 20" barrel. Not the 18". Technically the "long" barrel version of the first pump gun to pass mil spec. I did not buy it for clay, Lol. It is well over 10 years old now. I have never shot it with the standard stock (after my shoulder blew out). The pistol grip took some getting used to. The entore shooting style. But, it became a necessity. Honestly a 12g will throw my shoulder right out of socket and cause rotator damage (like I need anymore). One more thing I gave up for racing. Cant fire a rifle for sh*t (even my break barrel pellet gun hurts) cant throw a ball, cant scratch my...

I was thinking 24-28" barrel but thats probably pointless with your shoulder. Would love to see how its done since I manage to hurt myself before I get enough rounds though to make meaningful progress on my pistol-shotty style.

paintball fields tend to even the "score' on that one. there is a great park in Escondido. it is next to the outdoor rifle range. on a hill side, in the woods. several "fields". each one a different war zone. the terrain alone makes it one heck of a work out.

Lets do it. PM me a Sunday that works for you and a link to the paintball park that you can be available and I will post up the thread, follow up with the location about groups, etc.

Next GunslingersBall meet July15. Im sure the gunslingers would be down for painball as much as real guns. Heck, paintball can be cheaper :lol:

Archived