LegacyGT.com

compression--leak down question

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that's weak sauce right there.. why the delay?

It's a very small shop (the owner, his wife and one more dude). He got stuck on one car today that took a lot of their time apparently..

As a side note, very few shops offer compression tests around here :confused:. So not a whole lot I can do about it. I am OK waiting a little more as the shop is very close to where I live and I ride my bike to work.

Update: guy only tested cylinders on the driver side. About 30 psi less in #4 compared to #2. He believes that the rings are fine as there was no smoke coming from the oil filler during idle. So valves may be the issue I guess :confused:.

In any case, time for a teardown.. Let the fun begin.

Given that I am on the other side of the pond right now (:mad::rolleyes:), my plan is to change the bare minimum to get the car back on the road. However, I'll probably add an aftermarket oil pick up tube, a tsk3 kit for the clutch, and maybe oil lines from infamous as well. I am probably forgetting things, but that's what comes to mind right now.

If the block turns out fine, I'll leave it as is for now and just get work done to the heads.

I wish I could have at least pulled the engine out myself, but I don't have a garage, and no friends with one.

forget the oil line, get the turbo replacement kit from fred beans, comes with all new everything, keep the banjo filters in but of course clean them beforehand. never look back.

thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a look on their website. As for the banjo bolts, I already have a couple brand new ones ready to install.

Just for the record, is this car on the stock tune, OEM MAP ?

yes sir!

You know what they say about the stock tune.

And you know that some of us high mileage guy's have removed the banjo filters.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Will history shows us that these cars are prone to burnt valves.

You should also put money aside to have the block rebuilt while the heads are being rebuilt.

I planned to keep my wagon so that's why I did it the way it did. I was also pretty sure I didn't have any burnt valves seeing is the wagon has been on a tune since 8000 miles.

I'm also thinking rings will not a miss-fire code. Your plugs would have to have a lot of oil on them and you would have massive oil usage.

If the plug's look good, it's valves.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

You're right. I forgot that my plug on 4 was indeed dry, a bit carbon fouled. There was no oil residue on it (see: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4275127&postcount=1)

I was just wondering cause once the engine is teared down, can you tell if the ringlands (or rings) are damaged without taking the pistons off?

And yes, I do plan to keep this car until it's dead. And maybe in a few years, do an engine swap with an FA20 if possible :hide:.

I would think if the ring lands had cracked or chipped, you'll be able to see scratches in the walls.

If you remember, my #2 had light scoring but nothing real bad. The others along with that one still had the crosshatch in them.

• 2 weeks later...

Teardown should begin next week. I've been avoiding driving the car though this Saturday, we must go and get a car seat, stroller, etc.. for our upcoming baby :redface:. Problem is that we'll have to drive a total of 190 miles (mostly highway). Car drives fine really and boosts and everything except for a rough idle and CEL at times on #4.

So, do you think it'll be safe to drive the car?

Archived