LegacyGT.com

uppipe diameter question

suboogru

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will I have any issues installing an up pipe with a 2.25" diameter

Probably not but why so big? Most "large" up pipes made are only 2". You gain more exhaust flow but you lose velocity by going that large. What turbo are you running?

Will I have any issues answering this question without knowing the model and year of the vehicle in question

Nope.

The exhaust already has to go too far to get to the turbo, with a subsequent reduction in energy. Increasing the up pipe diameter, by definition, only further decreases that energy. If anything the up pipe should taper, not open toward the turbo.

But you won't have any "issues."

Isn't the turbo inlet and the manifold outlet 45mm, which is under 2"....?

Bigger gives you no more exhaust flow due to the losses from the abrupt step in the sizes. Unless you did major porting the manifold and exahust to match the new upipe. And then it will probably end up leaking.

Don't waste your time with an aftermarket uppipe, get a catless stock uppipe or gut the cat out of your exisiting uppipe. Trust me.

don't gut the stock uppipe. Trust me.

It wont hurt. Trust me. Lol!!!

Hmmm. Well, several years ago I gutted my 05 LGT's up pipe, and it worked fine until I got my APS header system.

But, it sure did hurt! :lol: I still have a scar. And if you are not meticulous, and don't get every last particle out, you will for sure hurt your wallet, too.

Do NOT gut the stock uppipe.

A gutted stock uppipe works better than every single aftermarket upipe on the market (because it won't leak), and has been done since before the 4th gen LGT existed. In fact, if you want a larger diameter, the catted pipe has it, with proper transitions.

From 2002:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/10366-retrofitted-cat-removed-stock-up-pipe-vs-aftermarket-cat-less-up-pipe-results.html

But hey, if you must have aftermarket, I wish you the best of luck.

• Moderators
A gutted stock uppipe works better than every single aftermarket upipe on the market (because it won't leak), and has been done since before the 4th gen LGT existed. In fact, if you want a larger diameter, the catted pipe has it, with proper transitions.

From 2002:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/10366-retrofitted-cat-removed-stock-up-pipe-vs-aftermarket-cat-less-up-pipe-results.html

But hey, if you must have aftermarket, I wish you the best of luck.

I didn't think you could make yourself sound dumber than you did in the whole spring theory thread, but hey--you've outdone yourself once again. I look forward to future shenanigans from you soon :rolleyes:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I didn't think you could make yourself sound dumber than you did in the whole spring theory thread, but hey--you've outdone yourself once again. I look forward to future shenanigans from you soon :rolleyes:

You've managed to buy into a line of BS from aftermarket vendors who want to sell you an overpriced and lil fitting peice of pipe. You bring nothing to this discussion.

Very few aftermarket uppipes have both a durable flex section and a 45mm inlet and outlet diameter. Two extremely important design elements. Without a flex section, thermal expansion and vibration will eventually result in leak(s) from the gaskets. If you do not have 45mm inner diameter, the exhaust will hit a square lip at the entrance to the turbo, which will be a large flow restriction.

The only uppipe I'm aware of that meets these two essential criteria is the $150 TXS unit, because they have been making uppipes for 10 years and have definitely learned from mistakes.

But for my money, I would still just gut the stock uppipe and see the same performance. If you can't handle gutting the pipe, I would re-evaluate your ablity to work on cars.

http://www.hptmotorsports.com/subaru/2002-07-wrx/02-07-wrx-exhaust/02-07-wrx-uppipes/turboxs-uppipe-for-subaru-wrx-sti-legacy-gt-ws-up.html

The TurboXS WRX, STI & Legacy GT uppipe removes the restrictive factory catalytic converter (in 02-05 WRX); you will increase exhaust flow to the turbocharger, increased HP, reduced turbo lag, and eliminate the chances of a damaged catalytic converter destroying your turbocharger. The TurboXS uppipe offers a flex section to help with fitment and a stainless steel finish to improve durability. The TurboXS uppipe has an inner diameter of 45mm; this is the exact same size as a stock Subaru turbocharger inlet. This promotes the best possible performance throughout the entire RPM range by maintaining exhaust velocity. Oversizing the inner diameter of the uppipe slows exhaust velocity and creates turbulence as it enters the smaller inlet of the turbocharger, potentially even hurting turbocharger spool up. 02-05 WRX & 05 Legacy GT models have a pre-turbo catalyst, making this uppipe a major performance improvement. Though the 06-11 WRX, 04-11 STI & 06-09 Legacy GT do not have a cat in the factory uppipe, this product will still improve throttle response and drivability.

New studs are included. However, this product does not come with any gaskets.

I have seen just an many OEM pipes fail as aftermarket. Not just the cat. I see 2 OEM up pipes a month that are broken into two pieces (avg).

The OEM uppipes are just as durable of not much more so than a standard aftermarket flex section. OEM are more common and see much more milage. But of course they can fail just like anything else.

Archived