LegacyGT.com

Keep lgt with 140k or sell ?

I don't work on my own cars and have always stayed stock. I've got 80k on my current turbo and others seem to be getting much more than that, so it doesn't seem to make sense to just install te vf52 just yet. Any other mods that I can have done that wouldn't set me back too much?

I don't work on my own cars and have always stayed stock. I've got 80k on my current turbo and others seem to be getting much more than that, so it doesn't seem to make sense to just install te vf52 just yet. Any other mods that I can have done that wouldn't set me back too much?

A downpipe and an OTS stage2 map is an awesome bump in power for less than $1k. But be warned that it will initiate a constant urge for more power :lol:. And you also will need a pretty conservative tune to be sure you don't pop intercooler endtanks or burn up the clutch.

lol

Odds are you will burn up the engine soon, from what I've learned since mine went at 165K. Ring landings and valves are a big problem in 05 - 06. I love the car so I decided to sink $10K into it with updated ej257 and updated pipes, turbo, etc. Hopefully I don't regret that decision, tough choice when there are so many cars that get better gas mileage. Just hate the stress of buying a used car and inheriting someone Else's problems.

Just hate the stress of buying a used car and inheriting someone Else's problems.

That's why I will keep my car until it doesn't run anymore. I just don't want to deal with somebody else's problems

I've stuck so much time, blood, sweat, and tears into this car, that anything else just wouldn't be "mine" anymore.

OK.... So I've got owners saying these engines should do 200 to 300k. G Force says these engines burn up well before that. It would be nice to know what the real numbers were on the reliability of the boxer engine in the 05 LGT.

Maybe some of us just have bad luck, but my many cars before this have gone more miles engine trouble free, here is a link on this forum I came across yesterday: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cylinder-4-misfire-120496.html where more than just a few have had #4 problems, and the shop I took it to, MAperformance, and a few other shops too, say they see that all the time on STi's and subaru's in general. I'm upgrading pistons. Subaru really should have used better pistons, even in the new engines.

My Leggy is my second Subaru. After owning VW's, Honda's, Acura and a boyota, I can say with certainty that the Subarus have been by far the best built and most reliable. Granted any car can have problems, but the cost of ownership remains low on these vehicles unless you have a lemon.

Unless you are shot in the arse with nickles.... My vote is keep it. I am two payments away from no car payment. I am looking forward to banking that money every month!

Great post. Like the part about the nickles. good stuff. You can definitely drive yourself crazy trying to analyze what may or may not happen. Subies are known to be well built. The other side is that there are some years that have known problems. It probably makes sense to be aware of them and hold some cash aside for potential repairs. And just enjoy the ride......

Maybe some of us just have bad luck, but my many cars before this have gone more miles engine trouble free, here is a link on this forum I came across yesterday: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cylinder-4-misfire-120496.html where more than just a few have had #4 problems, and the shop I took it to, MAperformance, and a few other shops too, say they see that all the time on STi's and subaru's in general. I'm upgrading pistons. Subaru really should have used better pistons, even in the new engines.

I'm not convinced it's a piston problem. I am convinced it's a OEM MAP problem.

Have the car tuned by a Tuner or at least Cobb AP they fix the flaw in the oem MAP.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

OK.... So I've got owners saying these engines should do 200 to 300k. G Force says these engines burn up well before that. It would be nice to know what the real numbers were on the reliability of the boxer engine in the 05 LGT.

run the car hard and it'll burn up. take care of it, and it probably won't. check out the long haul thread. I'm not stressed at all about hitting 200k.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

im at 128K and the last 28K have been stg 2 and more on the way. its starting to accumulate wear item fixes (ball joints, endlinks etc) every three months i try to knock out something old/worn with a new or better part.

Hello, first time caller, here:

Yes, I'm looking at two '05 LGTs with 140k and another '06 with 170k. Both 05 had their clutch replaced, one had also the turbo replaced or repaired (seeing this one tomorrow), but the other had the timing belt replaced but not the turbo.

What can a newbie examine or what documents to ask for without being a mechanic? Excessive oil consumption - look for oil leaks externally or?

Ask for inspection only if, or in any case?

Also, newbie question: when does the turbo engage - at what rpm or other criterion? (I just sold a 330i and the double vanos engaged at 3000 rpm.)

Thanks,

Sustain26

I plan on selling mine when it hits 140k...(that's when my warranty expires)

Archived