LegacyGT.com

Rusty new calipers??

c-lo

wtf?? I just had some new calipers put on the front of the car 3 weeks ago. can't tell what brand they are, but both are rusting already, one pretty bad.

I've NEVER had seen or had rusting calipers before. plan on calling my mechanic on monday to see what gives, but this can't be normal?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I have experienced similar with replacement aftermarket rear rotors for our Honda Odyssey. A lot of surface rust developed on the outside hub of the rotor. These were Napa premium parts so I was disappointed by this. On the other hand on my legacy I replaced both front calipers and both sets of rotors with OEM parts and there has been no rusting.

Many rebuilt calipers get bead blasted, then cleaned, and then rebuilt. VERY few rebuild shops/companies put a new coating or paint on them to prevent the surface rust. Factory parts will obviously have a coating or paint, which is why they don't rust (usually).

I had a seized caliper on my wife's OBW over the winter and had it replaced. Its completely rusty already. I just ordered a pair of calipers for the front of my legacy and a Por-15 paint kit. My calipers came already painted black.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

It's normal. Too bad you didn't know to paint them before you installed them. They sell caliper paint in a rattle can. It's about $7. The rust doesn't hurt them, they just look like crap.

painting should be optional. I should've have to anticipate rusty calipers and paint them. not a happy camper.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

rotors or calipers. rotors - get in car, drive, brake, cleared!

Archived