LegacyGT.com

So should I be concerned with 51 dealer miles on a Turbo?

jdkobe

I took a couple test drives in these with other dealers, and in my mind they worked the car hard - sort of showing the car off. Well, I want one now, but am worried - what is this groups take on it? I want to really live by the break-in recommendations for a long life, fast car, but now I can have the car I want now, or wait for one to be ordered. thanks :)

You really can't tell what miles are transport miles and what miles are demo. I personally think 50 miles is peanuts anyhow. BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY!

After they build the car, they put it on the dyno and run it up to 120 mph. And from what Oprie Lightfoot was posting about how the cars are run across the parking lot at the pre-delivery facility...I don't think I'd worry too much about the car being driven hard right off the bad. I just wouldn't make a habit of it. Kevin

In the past few weeks I have been looking at a demo GT with 5K miles on the clock. It was a Subaru Australia exec car. This car had been driven hard and you could just tell by looking at it. It felt ok on the road but have to agree, you have no idea how it has been run in. Usually when its not yr car (A.K.A Hire Car) you flog the death out of it so its anyones guess. Then again you have the warranty as a fail safe.... But for 51 miles, not sure how you could kill a car in that distance. If its a few K off the new price, have a look at it seriously. Happy Hunting :)

Well, the question really comes down to if you can live with the thought that you have no idea how the first 50 (okay, maybe 40 since there are some transport and factory miles) miles were driven. It's your hard earned $25-30K. Spend it on something you are happy with. As for me, I would pass. I've seen how some demo cars are abused and I just would not want that kind of worry in my mind. Don't rush -- a few weeks of waiting is nothing compared to years you'll be driving the car. Ken

People drive the snot out of cars during transport, dealer transfers, and test drives. Hell, I saw a car transporter truck making a late night delivery to a Ford dealership, and the driver was backing an SVT Lightning off of the truck. He lit up the tires for about 50 yards to the entrance to the dealership, LOL! Oh and the engine would have been stone cold also because it was winter time. I don't think it'd do any lasting harm. But I'd just avoid cars like that because I'd know it was probably abused. Steve

I appreciate all the info - Dealer is Carr Subaru in Portland and they assure me test drives are extreemly controlled. The other thing I'm wrangling with is they tell me I can not lock in financing (thru other means other then my own CU) until car is delivered, and I'm pretty sure interest rates will trickly up in 8 weeks while I wait for custom delivery. I'm now getting 3.84%. The down side is I'm also having to buy the darn subwoofer & compass mirror of which I would have skipped... but price is right at factory invoice since I would be driving 7 hours to pick up the car from Spokane Washington. And, I get to us my $800 maintanance coupon :? We'll see what price they quote me for the extended maintanance 6/80,000 - maybe that and full tank of gas will make it all good.

You probably don't need the extended warranty, especially with Scoobys. If at the end of the std warranty things arn't quite as you'd like you can add it, but I think you will find many current and previous owners have never had to use it at all.

Ditto on the extended warranty. You are able to buy one at any time during the orignal B2B warranty. From a time value of money standpoint, there is really no benefit to buying an extended warranty from the start unless you are able to get one for a significant discount. Also, the extended warranty isn't a full B2B warranty. Be careful to understand what it covers and does not cover. I had one for my Forester (courtesy of Subaru, I didn't buy one) and I was surprised to learn that it didn't not cover the exhaust system. I had a cracked Y-pipe and heat shields and had to pay cash for them. Ken

Those cars were definitely test driven, and heaven knows what those people did in there. The last car I bought (2002 Toyota Sequoia, made in Indiana like the Legacy) had only 3 miles on the clock when I took delivery, because I told Carsdirect that I didn't want a car that was test driven. Anywhere from 3-20 miles are normal delivery miles, anything above that range is a demo car. There's no reason why you should pay full price for a car that was obviously used as a demo. I don't think anything should be wrong with the car, but at least use the mileage as a negotiating point if you want to buy the car in question.

even if you manage to get one that NO ONE somewhere in the process put the pedal down on, chances are sometime when you bring it in for service or something someone will. I once got my wrx back from the dealer w/ like 200 MILES more on the odometer than when I took it in, and they didn't bother to even replace the gas they used.

[quote name='scubie02']even if you manage to get one that NO ONE somewhere in the process put the pedal down on, chances are sometime when you bring it in for service or something someone will. I once got my wrx back from the dealer w/ like 200 MILES more on the odometer than when I took it in, and they didn't bother to even replace the gas they used.[/quote] The service manager would be getting a nasty call from me on that one. If they can't diagnose it in 2-10 miles, they aren't doing you any favors by driving your car 200 miles, especially if there is something wrong with it at the time. Gas is a pain, but damn, 200 miles is half-way across some states!

Well I think the general point was about proper break-in and test drive/demo abuse. Once you bring it in for service it's already broken in. And if a dealership put 200 miles on you car when you brought it in for service I'd raise hell and not go back there for service again.

I complained, and they just said they had to drive it alot to try to replicate the problem (the A/C would cut in and out if you were driving for a long time and had it on high--supposedly it was so cold it was actually freezing up the lines). I bought from a different dealer this time around, partially because I wasn't thrilled with the service department at my former dealer...

My car had 9 miles on it, just like my WRX. As a matter of fact, I let that be my guide and said to my dealer, only partly in jest, "If it has more than 9 miles on it, I'm not accepting delivery!" :lol: Kevin

orpie, So when a dealer gets the invoice and VIN for a specific vehicle, at what stage in the delivery process is the car? How much longer after that until it shows up at the dealer? Ken

• 8 months later...
Mine had to be delivered from another dealer about 80 miles away. The car felt fine when I drove it. My only gripe was that I flipped to the trip fuel economy and saw 13.5 average mpg. :rolleyes: Not what I was hoping for, but I knew it was coming, being that it was driven for delivery. I figured I got it for 200 under invoice and it's a Subaru, plus I have a warranty. Any problems and it's not coming out of my pocket for the first 3 years. I dont expect any problems because my last 2 cars from Subaru have all been outstanding, and I expect nothing less of this one.

Archived