LegacyGT.com

Hogzaust question.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about instead of making a giant exhaust leak right under your drivers seat to where all your exhaust gasses will seep into your car and kill you, you just leave it alone until you have money to do a real exhaust.

Either that, or you can cut a hole in the bottom of your muffler if all you're looking for is loud....or even cut off your muffler.

The hogzaust is a terrible idea. Honestly, its stupid.

Did you read the hogzhaust thread? You put the washers at the muffler flange, not below the drivers seat. It's the same concept of cutting your muffler off but not as obnoxiously loud. Not saying I'm gonna do it to my car, but it's not a bad idea considering I know a lot of Subaru owners who've removed their muffler or had straight pipes welded in in place as a cheap exhaust mod.

I charge $25 labor to weld in a muffler in my shop. Most people provide their own mufflers. You can buy a muffler for $20 and up. Or if you want loud, you could just cut off your muffler.

To open up your exhaust right under the cab of the car is just stupid. You wind up breathing toxic fumes any time you drive your car.

There are other options that are free and cheap.

You can find almost any local car guy friend who will cut off your muffler for free too.

actually, the exhaust leak was not done at under the drivers cab, but back by the mufflers. jeez man....if you're gonna bust get it right!:rolleyes:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

The 2nd gen has a bolt together flange at the axle. You could do it there if you like. It's prolly rusted up anyways. The "rumble" won't come out till you get a header but the leak will make it considerably louder if that is what you won't.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

Alright. Everyone that's getting all mad because it's so easy to get a new muffler, gtfo. I said in the first post "this is my only option." I don't feel like explaining why, so I won't.

I realize that it's only gonna cost $50 to put a new muffler on; I realize that a muffler delete will do the same thing (only a lot louder); I realize that it's not as simple as it sounds. Now back to what I asked...

"Does it actually do anything for performance? Will it negatively affect my engine?"

Is anyone going to actually put in some useful info?

BTW, thanks to 94lgt for defending me.

Alright. Everyone that's getting all mad because it's so easy to get a new muffler, gtfo. I said in the first post "this is my only option." I don't feel like explaining why, so I won't.

I realize that it's only gonna cost $50 to put a new muffler on; I realize that a muffler delete will do the same thing (only a lot louder); I realize that it's not as simple as it sounds. Now back to what I asked...

"Does it actually do anything for performance? Will it negatively affect my engine?"

Not gonna harm your engine in any way. What it's gonna do is decrease back pressure/exhaust velocity. You'll lose some low end power and maybe gain some high end power. Go for it. If you don't like it, you can switch it back. Really nothing to lose except the $1 the washers cost and like 10 minute install time.

• I Donated
Does it actually do anything for performance?

No.

Will it negatively affect my engine?

No, but it will negatively affect your brain cells because, as noted, the second gen does not have a flange by the muffler, so you'd have to use one under the passenger compartment, thus allowing CO into the cabin.

• I Donated
What it's gonna do is decrease back pressure/exhaust velocity. You'll lose some low end power and maybe gain some high end power.

BS. A small exhaust leak is not going to add any discernable performance. Any decrease in backpressure will be minimal, and will be offset by increased exhaust turbulence.

Useful info:

Doing the Hogzaust mod will not gain you anything performance wise.

Your engine will not blow up, only thing i could think of is that you might loose back pressure.

No you will not hear the boxer rumble.

Related useful info:

No money but want to gain a something if nothing? You can gut your catalytic converters, but actual numbers wont happen unless you have a less restrictive exhaust system.

• I Donated Too

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1koebhamW1qkdccno1_500.jpg

hogzaust is cool at first but gets old quick. it's a good way to gauge if you want a louder exhaust or not. /thread.

Useful info:

No money but want to gain a something if nothing? You can gut your catalytic converters, but actual numbers wont happen unless you have a less restrictive exhaust system.

Gut the cats? As in drill thru them? That's a terrible idea...

No, but it will negatively affect your brain cells because, as noted, the second gen does not have a flange by the muffler, so you'd have to use one under the passenger compartment, thus allowing CO into the cabin.

My second gen has a flange at the axle/muffler

Your welcome.

Gut the cats? As in drill thru them? That's a terrible idea...

As for gutting the cats its not a terrible idea if you dont have emissions testing where you live. If you do then its not a smart idea to gut both but you could get away with gutting one. As for gutting them all you need to do is take them off the car and drive a rod/pole/pry bar through them to knock out the catalyst material. Doing that will help increase flow. and give you more of the boxer rumble and maybe a minimal hp increase.

Useful info:

Doing the Hogzaust mod will not gain you anything performance wise.

Your engine will not blow up, only thing i could think of is that you might loose back pressure.

No you will not hear the boxer rumble.

Related useful info:

Anything done to increase airflow into and out of the engine will increase performance.

And having an exhaust leak anywhere in the exhaust system does allow the boxer rumble to be heard alot.

No.

Not true. I currently have about 8 different holes in my exhaust due to rust and you can't smell exhaust at all in the passenger compartment. And the holes range from the front cat to the rear exhaust flange were the muffler bolts to the mid pipe.

Not true. I currently have about 8 different holes in my exhaust due to rust and you can't smell exhaust at all in the passenger compartment. And the holes range from the front cat to the rear exhaust flange were the muffler bolts to the mid pipe.

not sure if serious.

you do know carbon monoxide is odorless, right?

not sure if serious.

you do know carbon monoxide is odorless, right?

Yes I'm serious. And I've driven my car for hours and haven't had any issues with the effects of CO2 poisioning

You mean...CO, CO2 is not the same.

You can have prolonged small dose exposure to CO and not feel any immediate effects, your brain is saying otherwise. You think people know when they're getting CO poisoned? no. because it's lights out before they even know it.

I'm so glad this is a welcoming community of fellow Legacy owners and not a forum full of elitists who are too good to outright answer a newb's questions. </sarcasm>

The point of me asking questions isn't to "annoy" all of you long time Subie fanatics. It's to... ya know... actually learn something. constructive criticism is one thing but you guys are ridiculous sometimes.

Archived