LegacyGT.com

Why not to drive on a dyeing clutch. The TOB horrors inside.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Mike what is the life expectancy on the spec.B 6spd clutch? I'm at 55k now but I have noticed the engagement point has moved to the top of the pedal stroke and the very bottom of the pedal stroke is getting slightly stiff. In my past experience this tends to be the sign of a worn clutch disk. I'd probably go with the OEM STi clutch kit but is there anything else I should consider doing when I replace the clutch?

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

6MTs are far different from 5MT. Nothing extra needed when replacing. No TSK kits for that trans.

Clutch life expectancy is difficult to gauge. Driving style plays a HUGE role in how long a clutch lasts.

My Nissan truck has 130k on the stock clutch (and the truck makes 40whp more than it did stock and I beat the snot out of it daily).

From looking under the hood the baby master cylinder has the bleed screw facing the front bumper.

From looking at the pedal box the clutch goes to a rod and cylinder on the interior of the firewall. Not sure if this helps or exactly what I am looking for.

Here is the pull type. The slave cylinder sits on the back part of the bellhousing. Found on early WRX and 6 speed Spec.B and STI transmissions.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/modaddict/Picture-1.jpg

Here is the push type, slave cylinder sits on the front part of the bellhousing. Found on most LGT's.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p310/anothernord/2013-03-23_17-33-45_131.jpg

• 1 year later...
I just bought my 05 OBXT a month ago and I was told it had a new clutch installed right before purchase. I've put 2k miles on it now and I've noticed a soft thud when letting off the gas or changing gears. I assumed this was due to a worn bushing or mount that I haven't had time to find yet, but Friday I noticed a chirping noise that stops whenever the clutch is pressed. It chirps regardless of if I'm in gear or not except for when the clutch is depressed. I'm not sure if both issues are related or separate. Does this sound like TOB?

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• I Donated
I just bought my 05 OBXT a month ago and I was told it had a new clutch installed right before purchase. I've put 2k miles on it now and I've noticed a soft thud when letting off the gas or changing gears. I assumed this was due to a worn bushing or mount that I haven't had time to find yet, but Friday I noticed a chirping noise that stops whenever the clutch is pressed. It chirps regardless of if I'm in gear or not except for when the clutch is depressed. I'm not sure if both issues are related or separate. Does this sound like TOB?

The chirping that stops whenever the clutch is pressed sounds like pilot bearing to me.

The chirping that stops whenever the clutch is pressed sounds like pilot bearing to me.

Thanks. So, TOB usually makes noise when the clutch is pressed in and pilot bearing usually makes noise when the clutch is out? I'm going to call the shop I got the car from (who did the work and see if they will cover it) I was just reading about pilot bearings and the article I found said common reasons they fail is a bad transmission mount. I wonder if that's what the thud is every time I let off the gas. :spin:

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• I Donated
Thanks. So, TOB usually makes noise when the clutch is pressed in and pilot bearing usually makes noise when the clutch is out? I'm going to call the shop I got the car from (who did the work and see if they will cover it) I was just reading about pilot bearings and the article I found said common reasons they fail is a bad transmission mount. I wonder if that's what the thud is every time I let off the gas. :spin:

Yup, the way the clutch functions is the pilot bearing is located inside the center of the flywheel and spins when the input shaft of the transmission is spinning, basically any time the clutch pedal is out. Neutral, gears engaged, doesn't matter. As long as the engine is running and the clutch pedal is out, the pilot bearing is spinning. When you press the clutch pedal, that engages the throwout bearing (starting it spinning) which in turn disengages the input shaft of the transmission from the motor (via the clutch disk, pressure plate and flywheel) so that spins when the clutch pedal is in. The transmission mount is pretty easy to see when you get the car up on a lift, the stock one is kind of garbage.

Yup, the way the clutch functions is the pilot bearing is located inside the center of the flywheel and spins when the input shaft of the transmission is spinning, basically any time the clutch pedal is out. Neutral, gears engaged, doesn't matter. As long as the engine is running and the clutch pedal is out, the pilot bearing is spinning. When you press the clutch pedal, that engages the throwout bearing (starting it spinning) which in turn disengages the input shaft of the transmission from the motor (via the clutch disk, pressure plate and flywheel) so that spins when the clutch pedal is in. The transmission mount is pretty easy to see when you get the car up on a lift, the stock one is kind of garbage.

Thanks for the info. That makes it much easier to understand what's going on. I just called the shop that I bought the car from (and installed the clutch prior to my purchase) and they said they will dig into it for me. Unfortunately, I had to make an appointment for the 8th as it was the first time they had an opening that I was available. He said something about the fork being lose, but agreed that the thump was probably mount or bushing related. I might try to put some miles on my wife's car in the meantime, but I will have to continue to drive it in the meantime.

IIRC, some chirping noise can be heard also (whenever your foot is off the clutch pedal) due to missing lube at the contact point between the fork and pivot ball. The noise usually goes away as soon as you exert a bit of pressure on the clutch pedal.

IIRC, some chirping noise can be heard also (whenever your foot is off the clutch pedal) due to missing lube at the contact point between the fork and pivot ball. The noise usually goes away as soon as you exert a bit of pressure on the clutch pedal.

That's probably what he was referring to. If I get a chance I might look, but I know the intercooler blocks a good portion of the view.

Archived