LegacyGT.com

Why not to drive on a dyeing clutch. The TOB horrors inside.

Not getting louder, just seems to have settled in and is making the same amount of noise all the time. There's no binding, clutch does not slip, pedal feels good, clutch grabs gears wonderfully, it just squeaks when the clutch is out.
I could suck start a snow blower.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, it is a different sound than it made when my tob started going out last time. That was more of a whine/warble/squalk noise.

What its doing now is a chirp

the wagon in your original pics in this thread with the fucked up bearing. I think the throw out bearing in this wagon might be "quiet worn"

Quiet with the clutch in but with it out and the car moving or decelerating its like a metal/rubbing sound like if you had metal tubes one smaller than the other rubbing on one another as they turned.

I honestly dont remember the color anymore. My first response would be no it was OBP. But, I could be mistaken. Sounds like you might have a TOB ready to go out. It is somewhat normal for them to wear out before the clutch is all the way gone.

• 1 month later...
I have a 2005 GT stage 1 and I’m getting more of a metallic clunk when lifting my foot off of the clutch pedal after shifting. Like the pedal has become a little loose at the top of its travel. It also got stuck half-way down once after making a loud thunk when I started it once in the winter. I pulled it up by hand and it worked but ever since it seemed a little looser in travel than before and now it has the clunk sound when lifting off. I have 100,000 mostly highway miles on a stock clutch and TOB so I am probably due but it’s odd I don’t get much whirring sound. Maybe a slight amount when it is very cold but it doesn’t seem to be the classic TOB symptoms others have described. I saw in the manual that if there is too much free play at the end of the pedal travel then you need to have your clutch adjusted or something along those lines. I forget the exact wording. Is there a possible other explanation or just go ahead with the clutch/TOB replacement immediately due to miles and odd symptoms? Clutch holds fine BTW.

You can not "adjust" the clutch. All you can do is adjust the pedal. You should not have to adjust the pedal (due to normal wear). With the symptoms and mileage I would recommend having a TSK-3 kit handy when replacing the clutch.

• Moderators
You can not "adjust" the clutch. All you can do is adjust the pedal. You should not have to adjust the pedal (due to normal wear). With the symptoms and mileage I would recommend having a TSK-3 kit handy when replacing the clutch.

Mike, question about the TSK3. When replacing a clutch is there any reason to install one if the snout shows no wear? I thought at one point that it provided reinforcement and would prevent snout wear down the road either way, but is that not the case?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Yeah, it seems the TOB is the likely culprit. Shame as the clutch still holds but I guess it is time. After 100,000 I guess I can’t complain much. I hope the snout isn’t all messed up though. That is scary. Thanks for your help!

TSK-3 can be installed even when there is no current damage to the snout/quill. It will prevent it from happening. Replacement TSK-3 bearings are available without having to re-purchase the entire kit.

• 5 months later...
TSK-3 can be installed even when there is no current damage to the snout/quill. It will prevent it from happening...

Totally agree, it's great insurance.

That's exactly what I did.

This is what I did too.

I just finished putting the TSK3 kit with the sleeve on the car last night. My throw-out bearing was squeaking since the car was new. Every Subaru dealer just said it was not the bearing, which was bull shit, but whatever. It only did this when the car was cold too. Just a few weeks ago the clutch pedal started to feel a little bit off. The best way I can describe it, gravely, and when slipping the clutch on takeoff, the car really did not feel right. I got paranoid and tore into it. Thankfully the throw-out bearing and the quill looks perfectly fine. Never the less I threw the new bearing with the sleeve on there for a piece of mind. I can tell you that the clutch pedal feels so much better than it did. I really do think mine was on its way out and fast. There is still a very faint whirling noise when cold, but a lot better than the stocker plus it only has maybe 10-15 miles on it. I highly recommend this for the peace of mind if not anything else. The car has just under 50,000 miles on the clock.

Thanks, that is good to hear. I don't mind the mechanical sounds as long as things are as they should be.

Of note: the kit was very comprehensive including good, easy to follow, directions and everything you need to swap the bearing and install the new sleeve.

Mike, question about the TSK3. When replacing a clutch is there any reason to install one if the snout shows no wear? I thought at one point that it provided reinforcement and would prevent snout wear down the road either way, but is that not the case?

I'd recommend it.

When I did my clutch, the snout showed absolutely nothing in the way of damage.

New clutch goes in, that brand's throwout bearing goes in. 600 miles later, chirp chirp chirp. Yes, I broke it in properly.

Pulled the trans back out of the car, throwout bearing was loose already.

Ordered TSK, put it in, and have been driving since (around 20,000 miles, including autocross events and road course events, and a 6,000 mile road trip) with zero issues.

The problem is, a lot of manufacturers are outsourcing their throwout bearings to places that manufacture them for cheaper, and the quality suffers.

TSK kit is, as mentioned, good insurance from having to yank your transmission back out after 600 miles.

• 1 month later...

Archived