LegacyGT.com

Why not to drive on a dyeing clutch. The TOB horrors inside.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

m sprank, I am about to install (well the mechanic is :rolleyes:) the tsk3 kit. There are various opinions on the forum saying that if you keep the clip that will rest on the fork, you may get clutch engagement issues. Some other people say it is just fine to keep it :confused:.

I am keeping everything stocked for now (clutch, flywheel). So can I keep that retaining clip that fits onto the fork, just as you showed on your pics from post#23?

I have 120K now and mine seem to go out every 2 years (around 40k miles). I do a lot of city drive which is one of the major causes.

My 2nd TSK hasn't gone out yet, but I'm replacing it while I'm rebuilding the motor. Figured I'd replace now, since it prob only has less than 10k left on it.

My wife's balls are delicious.

That's not really long lived if you ask me even if you do lots of city driving. I would have hoped for the TSK3 kit to easily reach 100k at the very least.

What were the signs that the first kit went out? whining similar to the OEM one?

Yup, the typical squeel at start up and becomes quiet when the clutch is engaged. From the history of my car, once the squeel starts, I have 2-3 weeks before it blows up. The OEM blew up and left major cut marks on the tranny snot. The 1st TSK did the same thing and had to replace the sleeve. The 2nd still looks good and just replaced the bearing.

No TOB is going to last 100k in a Subaru. You are asking far too much of a bearing. It is one of those things that truly makes a Subaru a Subaru. 60k should be the expectation. Most owners make it around 60k-70k before the bearing goes out. Bearing will most likely wear out before the clutch is actually completely gone.

Keep the "clip". It is a spring that is intended to keep tension on the bearing over the course of its life in order to maintain the perpendicular angle to the snout as the bearing wears.

I just replaced the clutch and flywheel. Now, after the vehicle warms up, I get a squeak when the clutch pedal is all the way out. Light pressure makes it go away. It doesn't do it all the time, but it will do it in neutral, 1st and rarely 2nd.

Dafuq.

Do I need to rip the damn transmission back out and do one of these kits? Is my tob installed poorly? Is it just breaking in?

I could suck start a snow blower.

• I Donated
If I hear a squeak when pushing my clutch in and out sometimes but no other time, (i.e. no sound that is different with clutch fully engaged or disengaged just the action of pushing it in and letting it out) is that an indicator that my TOB is going?

TOB tends to make a whine when it starts to go. Whine will stop when clutch is depressed.

6MT in 5th gens use a TSk3. Uses same clutch kit as 4th gen 5MT. Tranny is actually the Euro diesel 6MT. Cable shifter style.

If snout was thoroughly checked prior to TOB install noises could be a normal. Without actually seeing/hearing the car it is difficult to say.

It is now doing it more frequently. Noise goes away with light pedal pressure. Seems to squeak faster dependent on speed. It also does it in 3rd and 4th now. Only off throttle with clutch out or in neutral.

:/

I could suck start a snow blower.

Exact same symptoms for me with an act stage 2 .

Half the forum says park it and dig into the tranny right away while the other half says do a preload spring fix. (Quick fix?)

I'm on the fence as to which way to go.

Leaning towards just pulling the tranny and throwing in a tsk3 shroud kit.

It is now doing it more frequently. Noise goes away with light pedal pressure. Seems to squeak faster dependent on speed. It also does it in 3rd and 4th now. Only off throttle with clutch out or in neutral.

:/

Yup, that's sounding like a TOB issue. If it's stating to get worst then you better pull the tranny and inspect.

Archived