LegacyGT.com

Depreciation on 05-06 LGT Wagons

Alright, so let me preface this question by saying that, at least for the time being, I'm no longer a Subie driver.

Last week, my dad gave me his 2008 Acura TL as a graduation present and a car for college. It's got 74,000 miles on it, has been rear-ended and seamlessly repaired twice (no frame damage despite the first hit being from a Silverado at 45 mph), and has been very well-maintained. Frankly, I could not be happier :D Even though it's FWD and not a Subie... it's still a great car, and I love it. My old car, the 2004 Outback LLBean, is going to my brother when he learns to drive this fall :)

My original plan for a college car was to buy an LGT Wagon (2005-2006), but that's no longer a thing. I still want an LGT eventually, which leads me to my main question... How much do you guys think the Legacy GT wagons will depreciate over the next four years?

I plan on getting jobs throughout college that will go towards saving up for my next car, whatever that may be. I want to know from now how much I'll need to save to get a Legacy, or if I should invest in something cheaper that I'll just mod the shit out of (BMW E30/E36).

IMG_5523.thumb.jpg.335d265245f1d23d9193e3520d9a11e1.jpg

You are asking what a 10 year old LGT wagon will be worth, when the time comes?

I'd take a look in your area what a 2002 Subaru sells for, then take that depreciation ratio and factor it over to what the 2005/2006 wagons sold for new.

Might give you an idea.

But off the top of my head, in America I'd say they will sell for 5-6K used by the time 2015/2016 comes around. That's if you can find one under 200K miles, etc etc.

Plus- a 10 year old used "TURBO" Legacy sounds ilke a scary idea to me. Unless you can find one that has been documented to be treated like gold its whole life.

I'd take a look in your area what a 2002 Subaru sells for, then take that depreciation ratio and factor it over to what the 2005/2006 wagons sold for new.

Might give you an idea.

But off the top of my head, in America I'd say they will sell for 5-6K used by the time 2015/2016 comes around. That's if you can find one under 200K miles, etc etc.

Plus- a 10 year old used "TURBO" Legacy sounds ilke a scary idea to me. Unless you can find one that has been documented to be treated like gold its whole life.

+1. I'd say forget it in 4 years. Newest LGT wagon in US would be 2007.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Might give you an idea.

Hmmm... had never really thought about it that way... but you do have a point.

If '06 LGT prices came down to what they are now on '03s that would be great... but you're right, they will be a decade old by the time I'm done, and I've heard plenty of stories of those engines, both good and bad

The TL is a great car! My grandfather had a Type-S that was stolen from me by his second wife's douche of a son (classy) when he passed away. I would be perusing Honda forums all day :spin: if not for that. Just enjoy your "new" Acura for what it is... not a racecar. It will be around a long time if you take care of it, and it was free! in 4 years I would consider buying a newer Subaru if thats still what you want. The newest LGT Wagon you could get would be a 2007, which is a year older than your Acura, and will probably have a ton of miles.

Furthermore what would the purpose of this car be? Why the wagon? Have you considered a GR WRX/STi Hatch?

NOW: Go get those windows tinted!

The TL is a great car! My grandfather had a Type-S that was stolen from me by his second wife's douche of a son (classy) when he passed away. I would be perusing Honda forums all day :spin: if not for that. Just enjoy your "new" Acura for what it is... not a racecar. It will be around a long time if you take care of it, and it was free! in 4 years I would consider buying a newer Subaru if thats still what you want. The newest LGT Wagon you could get would be a 2007, which is a year older than your Acura, and will probably have a ton of miles.

Furthermore what would the purpose of this car be? Why the wagon? Have you considered a GR WRX/STi Hatch?

NOW: Go get those windows tinted!

Haha thx

Yea, I had debated just throwing money at the TL for stuff like coilovers and brakes... decided that anything I did would sorta ruin it. The ride's just firm enough without being punishing, the brakes and handling are already fine, and the car's a fantastic tourer. It's FWD, so there's no real track monster potential... I'll just keep it the way it is and enjoy it for what it is

The reason I'm looking into a Subaru is two-fold. First, I want a car to mod. A WRX hatch would technically be a better mod car, but I've got a soft spot for the LGT wagon :) Secondly, if LGT wagons are cheap enough by that point, they would be great cars to buy and then throw money at. They are Subaru's, so they are pretty bulletproof (minus some turbo problems of course hahaha). The wagon probably would not be a daily driver for me, at least not at first.

And yes, I will look into window tints hahaha. My dad doesn't believe in them because it makes it harder for him to see out... but I think the car kinda needs them hahaha

If you go with a light tint 40-50% you should improve the look and have no real sacrifice in visibility.

I run 35% and at night I do notice that in dark parking lots I have a harder time seeing parking blocks, speed bumps, curbs, planters, etc.

I've run 8% limo and 20% in the past and I find that the cops are way more hardcore about tint that dark, and it definitely effects your vision noticeably at night.

• Moderators

I think that by the time your looking into buying an LGT wagon, and assuming that you are in a position to "throw money at it" for mods and such, that the pool of high mileage LGTs will actually be a benefit. You should be able to find one that is still in good shape as far as the body / interior / exterior go, but will have either really high mileage and/or a busted motor. You should be able to pick up something really cheap, replace a bunch of parts to your liking and have a nice running car for a long time.

If you get enough of a deal, you'll also be able to start off with a bit of an engine fund just in case...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

^+1 Subarus are legendary for longevity and while the 2.5 turbo has a few known weak points, overall the LGTs have nowhere near the empty-your-wallet issues that some of the german marques do. $2k/year x 4 years would give you a nice budget to buy/fix/maybe even mod. Will you be looking for manual or auto or either? Much bigger pool for autos.

If you go with a light tint 40-50% you should improve the look and have no real sacrifice in visibility.

I run 35% and at night I do notice that in dark parking lots I have a harder time seeing parking blocks, speed bumps, curbs, planters, etc.

I've run 8% limo and 20% in the past and I find that the cops are way more hardcore about tint that dark, and it definitely effects your vision noticeably at night.

Then 50% it is!

Which tint method would you advise that does a good job? My friend got stick-on window tints and his car smelled like mostly-dead fish for three weeks... if I'm gonna do it I wanna do it right the first time hahaha

I think that by the time your looking into buying an LGT wagon, and assuming that you are in a position to "throw money at it" for mods and such, that the pool of high mileage LGTs will actually be a benefit. You should be able to find one that is still in good shape as far as the body / interior / exterior go, but will have either really high mileage and/or a busted motor. You should be able to pick up something really cheap, replace a bunch of parts to your liking and have a nice running car for a long time.

If you get enough of a deal, you'll also be able to start off with a bit of an engine fund just in case...

How feasible is an STI EJ257 swap in these things? I know the engine in Legacy GT's and STI's is basically the same thing, albeit the turbo and something else I'm blanking on. If I could get one for cheap enough sometime in the distant future, the most cost-effective engine mod might just be a new engine hahaha. This is really a stretch, but an STI swap could also open up the possibility of a transmission swap from auto to manual, if I really manage to make it rain in college hahahaha.

In reality, the likelihood of me making that much money in college is slim to none... just food for thought hahaha

^+1 Subarus are legendary for longevity and while the 2.5 turbo has a few known weak points, overall the LGTs have nowhere near the empty-your-wallet issues that some of the german marques do. $2k/year x 4 years would give you a nice budget to buy/fix/maybe even mod. Will you be looking for manual or auto or either? Much bigger pool for autos.

I'll look for a manual, but it's unlikely I'll find one. They're rare as hell; I think most of the people who have one are smart enough to hold onto them :p

I would spend your money during college on experiences man. I totally regret not traveling more. You can dump money into your car when you have a real job with real income. Take advantage of weeks and months off at a time. If you live at home still work your first year from home and save a bunch of money during that time and then buy whatever car you want outright.

Just my "wish I did it that way" advice.

• Moderators

FYI, a full transmission swap is extremely difficult (arguable impossible to really do perfectly) and it WILL cost you upwards of $6k.

Not worth it.

The EJ257 is a drop in motor for an LGT. Only the heads/pistons are different as far as I know.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

FYI, a full transmission swap is extremely difficult (arguable impossible to really do perfectly) and it WILL cost you upwards of $6k.

Not worth it.

The EJ257 is a drop in motor for an LGT. Only the heads/pistons are different as far as I know.

Ok hahaha, never mind.

Good to know that the EJ257 is at least compatible.

^ +1. Spend your time learning crap and chasing ass. FORGET CARS FOR THE NEXT FOUR YEARS and drive the car you have.

Well, most of my time will be spent earning money for said car. I'll drive the TL through college, and probably after college while I'm modding the Legacy if I get one. The Legacy is still four years off at least, I'm just planning for the future

Ruski he is a lost cause. He would rather work full time and go to school full time and wish he had bagged those girls all the cool guys were bagging.

AFTER college you make money, or at least spend your time in college trying to figure out who with and how to make BIG money (while bagging hot chicks)

Virtually all turbo Legacys will be a pile of smoldering feces in four years the way forum members here hammer their rides. They should be cheap, but the real question will be will you still want one. I agree, concentrate on college and forget about the car. Four years of abuse in a big city with no garage and all of the shenanigans that go on at that point in your life and the TL will look like if got hit by a Silverado from all angles.
It is still ugly.

Archived